Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

help in choosing top-end digital cam.

Im looking at 2 at this stage.PanasonicNV-GS400 or JVC GZ-MC500AA for all round filming & still shot Quality. I would love some helpful advise if poss....Cheers.

Re: help in choosing top-end digital cam.

sorry it has taken so long for me to reply i have been in Europe for the last 3 weeks.

I haven't used the JVC but both cameras seem ok. i don't understand the "all round filming and still shot quality part" in my experience quality video and quality still shots do not exist in the same device. and to an extent it depends on what sort of conditions you will be most likely to use the camera in. the Leica lens on the panasonic is hard to beat. check out Videocraft for demos.

HI CP.
    i just posted a reply in your other thread re the NV-S400 tape transport noise problem u r having, so i take it u got the NV-GS400 not the JVC camera.
    good move, BUT, u have one of the rare panny NV-GS400 cams that did have a tape transport noise problem.
    check out my reply in your other thread, but i hope ur cam is still under warranty, its the only way u r going to get it fixed, very expensive if u have to repair it from your own pocket.
    it can be fixed, and u def got the best QUALITY camera in its class, but sadly u got one with the dud transport unit.
    good luck with it m8, mine works a treat as does my NV-GS70 and my older model NV-MX500.

cheers.....GLEN

PS: skyman is correct about not being able to get good qwuality video and photos from the same camera, it wont happen, and although the NV-GS400 takes 4.0mp pics, the quality is not great. if your looking for good video, keep the NV-GS400 but get the transport prob fixed, and get a nikon D70 digital slr camera (about $1500au with lenses) and your then gunna have some good pro-sumer gear.
    i use the same cameras i just mention and dam i get some great video and photos.
    (i also have the new panasonic DVX100-AE 3ccd dv camera as well, but still in the process of moving up from the NV-GS400, its a big jump but im keeping my GS400 as a backup or 2nd unit camera if i need it.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 09-02-2005 at 03:36 AM.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Not to just jump on the band wagon again, but, you really will do better with separate cameras for still and video. I'm not sure about the Panasonic you have, but I sure do love my D70.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Not to just jump on the band wagon again, but, you really will do better with separate cameras for still and video. I'm not sure about the Panasonic you have, but I sure do love my D70.
    Damn nikon people at least my eos lenses will work on the canon video cameras (when i can finnaly afford one)
    I should point out that most of the people on this forumn are very particular about there image quality. the 4mp part on the panasonic is only half the story. most video cameras compress the still images to a high level so as to fit many more pictures per card. the same is true of the still cameras that offer video modes. this is why we recomend getting seperate devices for each.

yeah, the panasonic nv-gs400 is 4.0mp still shot is certainly ok for those who want to take home pics and the quality is enough to get u by as the photos print at good quality if u take them properly.
    these cameras are very fussy with lighting and certainly take the best photos in slightly overcast outside lighting, def not in bright sunshine or dim lighting indoors, and the flash unit is very bright as well, but once mastered these cameras are ok and ide certainly not bother buying a stand alone "point and shoot" digital camera just for home use, these cams will suffice, but remember the photos from these video cameras can be captured in a variety of different settings but all are shot in JPEG format only.
    you certainly wont use this or any other video camera to take serious still photos, they just dont exist, but even my nv-gs70 takes reasonable 1.7mp photos for every day shots.

the D70 is arguably one of the most popular digital slr cams on the market and is the ideal camera to compliment your videography work, which is what i use.

cheers.....GLEN

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I try not to admit it too often, but, Canon does make some nice glass and cameras. Were I not a die hard Nikon Nut, the 20D would maybe look a little interesting.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Oh no our prejudices are showing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Hi man , thats a real good advice and I have to agree with you on the D70 , it 's good to know that more people feel that way.

Thread Information