Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Yet Another 'Which One' Thread, But With A Twist

Hi everyone. This is my first post in this forum. I love to take pictures and I love to play with Photoshop. I am in IT for a living so the computer part of photography is lots of fun for me.

Currently I only own a Canon SD700 IS P&S. Actually I love it quite a lot. It fits into my pocket and takes great pictures, especially after I've played with them a little in PS.

However, I would like to learn more about photography and the SD700 IS is not going to provide me that opportunity as it doesn't support much manual operation.

OK, I said there was a twist. Here it is: The corporation I work for has an awards program. I have been with the company for many years and over time have accumulated a lot of these award points. Now I want to use them to get my first DSLR. The two important things to consider are:

1. I can only choose from among those offered in the program
    2. For me it will be COMPLETELY FREE! Price is eliminated from the consideration (how's that for a twist).

Here are the cameras that I could get:

Canon Rebel XTi with standard 18-55mm kit lens
    Nikon D50 with standard 18-55mm kit lens
    Sony A100 with standard kit lens
    Olympus E-500 with standard kit lens

Unless someone could argue it strongly, I am not really interested in the Olympus. Their future seems uncertain to me and Canon and Nikon are really industry leaders. The Sony is interesting but I welcome opinions on the value of that unit.

Agreed, I am only a beginning amateur in photography. But I like to have quality technology and I would like to be able to grow with the camera for a while instead of having to buy another one.

With these parameters in mind, I would like to hear some opinions of which camera you think I should get (remember, it's for free so price differences are not interesting).

Thanks everyone in advance for helping me figure out what to do here.

Rob

Re: Yet Another 'Which One' Thread, But With A Twist

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg96
    Canon Rebel XTi with standard 18-55mm kit lens
    Nikon D50 with standard 18-55mm kit lens
    Sony A100 with standard kit lens
    Olympus E-500 with standard kit lens
    Get the Canon Rebel XTi. It's the newest technology in your list plus you appear to have a confidence in the brand.

Your second (or other) choice should be the Sony A100. Its has built in image stabilization.

Hope this helps a little.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Canon or Sony

I will echo manacsa's advice to get the Canon or the Sony. I don't have enough experience with the Nikon to have a valid opinion, although there is a pro review on the site for the D50, if you're interested.

Canon benefits:
    - Best image quality available in a 10-megapixel camera
    - Great system with tons of lenses, flashes, and other accessories
    - Excellent auto focus
    - Proven system and technology
    - Anti-dust system
    - Clear upgrade path

Sony benefits:
    - Built-in image stabilization that works great
    - Anti-dust system

My little list makes the Canon look better. However, I would argue that the Sony's image stabilization still makes it a better camera for most photographers. Unless you want or need something specific from the Canon system, or plan to upgrade soon, the Sony will deliver more good photos right away. I've used them both and have both available. I own the XTi because I've been a Canon user for years. But when I go to the annual PMA tradeshow in March, I'm going to be shooting with the Sony because I think it's the better camera for that event.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Iron Horse

I faced the same question (A100 vs XTi), and think it really comes down to a) feel and b) future upgrading of lenses/flashes/peripherals. If you're going to just purchase the camera and keep the stock lens for the next year or two (and they both feel good/similar to hold), definitely go for the Sony. The kit lens has gotten better reviews than the Canon, and the IS is excellent. However, the Canon currently has more variety in lenses, and better availability. I opted for the XTi since it felt better in my hands and I plan on upgrading to better lenses rather soon.

Hope this helps.
    Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

I'm about to purchase my first dslr myself...and I will say that speaking to photographers and looking at the pro-reviews on this site made all the difference in my opinion. Especially looking at the pictures of the different ISOs and comparing the quality. (I was trying to choose between the D50 and the A100. I am going with the D50.)

I am suprised to see so many people say go with Sony over Nikon. I personally would go for the D50. I own a D70 myself. When I was deciding between Nikon and Canon I was told repeatedly that the Nikon comes with a better lens than the Canon. They said the first thing to do with the Canon would be to get a new lens, which I didn't have money for at all. I haven't actually shot with the Canon, but I love my Nikon, and will move up probably to a D200 in the future.

If you want to be a photographer I would definitely stick with either Canon or Nikon. Especially in the DSLR department.

The only thing about the Canon that I could say might be better would be 10mp, but unless you plan to blow up your pics really huge, then 6mp is fine. My D70 has 6.1mp and I have had no problem with it. Very easy to use.

Usel

this is almost the same dilemma I had with almost the same cameras. the only difference was the D70s/D80 and not the D50 (which is 6mp). I bought the E-500 Olympus and have been very happy. IS wasn't really an issue for me. The Sony was my initial pick, but holding and shooting it in the store seemed to produce some soft shots. the XTi was just too small in my hands and felt cheap. Also, the kit lense wasn't that great. For the price of a body and lense. I got two lenses and the body with the Olympus. Olympus is not going anywhere and the 4/3rds program is really growing with Panasonic and Leica getting on board.

Thread Information