Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

A repetitive question...extended warranties for dslr

I know you've probably all seen this question hundreds of times...I did a forum search, and found a few threads about extended warranties...but I'm still not sure what I want to do about them.

I'm about to place my order for a D50 (probably from B&H Photo), and I can't decide if I want an extended warranty or not...and if I do get one, I don't know which to get. The Nikon 2-year ext. warranty is $90, and the Mack 5-year ext. warranty is $50.

I treat my gear well (for example, my 35mm Minolta Maxxum stsi is still in perfect condition, and I've had it for around 7 or 8 years). I do have a 3-year-old son, but I know the warranties don't protect "kid accidents." Also, he's *very* good about not touching 'hands-off' stuff unless I allow him (and this camera will be very, very hands-off. In fact, I may let him use my cybershot while I use the d50, just so he can have his own camera.)

I've always been told that extended warranties are pretty useless...but I also know a handful of people that swear by them. And the Mack warranty does look like a great deal...but I've also heard and read *very* mixed reviews on them. Some people seem to have great experiences...others not so much.

So what do you all suggest? Yes to an extended warranty? No? If yes, which one?
    :mad2:
    Last edited by Austriana; 02-11-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: A repetitive question...extended warranties for dslr

Quote Originally Posted by Austriana
    I know you've probably all seen this question hundreds of times...I did a forum search, and found a few threads about extended warranties...but I'm still not sure what I want to do about them.

I'm about to place my order for a D50 (probably from B&H Photo), and I can't decide if I want an extended warranty or not...and if I do get one, I don't know which to get. The Nikon 2-year ext. warranty is $90, and the Mack 5-year ext. warranty is $50.

I treat my gear well (for example, my 35mm Minolta Maxxum stsi is still in perfect condition, and I've had it for around 7 or 8 years). I do have a 3-year-old son, but I know the warranties don't protect "kid accidents." Also, he's *very* good about not touching 'hands-off' stuff unless I allow him (and this camera will be very, very hands-off. In fact, I may let him use my cybershot while I use the d50, just so he can have his own camera.)

I've always been told that extended warranties are pretty useless...but I also know a handful of people that swear by them. And the Mack warranty does look like a great deal...but I've also heard and read *very* mixed reviews on them. Some people seem to have great experiences...others not so much.

So what do you all suggest? Yes to an extended warranty? No? If yes, which one?
    :mad2:
    Well, it all depends. Consumer Reports had statistics that showed most repairs cost less than the warranty. Also, unless the warranty SPECIFICALLY covers user abuse, it won't cover most of what could go wrong. On the other hand, some people just like the feeling of "being covered" which can be worth the cost. What is the price of Peace of Mind?

I personally don't buy extended warranties for DSLRs. Most anything that goes wrong electronically will do so right away under the existing warranty.

The only exception I make is with laptop computers. They can have terrible failures that can require you to buy another one! Plus, they seldom last more than 2-3 years under regular use.

Let us know what you decide to do.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

I decided against the extended warranty. I figure that chances are, if something goes wrong, it'll go wrong in the first year during the normal warranty. It won't protect against anything that my son may do to it (which better not happen ;)), and the camera isn't *that* expensive. $450 isn't a drop in the bucket for me, but it is replaceable. If the camera were $800+, I probably would have gotten it, but since it's under $500...I felt I could risk it.

I should have my camera within about a week. Yay!

... a little too late, but if you pay with an American Express credit card, AMEX will automatically give you another year of waranty.

Thread Information