Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Used Marketplace ?

I live in a city with a market of over one million people. We do not have one retailer that is interested in a fair used market.The only retailer we have that takes used in trade pays only a maximum of $50.00 for any dslr regardless of current resale value. We do not have one used dslr dealer of any kind that I have been able to find. Is this normal ?

I've done a lot of recent research on ebay, our local buy and sell and the online refurbished market. I find prices in those realms to be unrealistically high. I'm seriously thinking of getting into used entry level dslrs as a vocation. As a buyer I would have no local competition whatsoever.As a seller on our local buy and sell I would have a maximum 48 hour turnover on my investments based on listing times I have tracked.Are other cities like this or do I live in a bizarre realm compared to other market areas ?

Re: Used Marketplace ?

OP> I live in a city with a market of over one million people. We do not have one retailer that is interested in a fair used market.The only retailer we have that takes used in trade pays only a maximum of $50.00 for any dslr regardless of current resale value. We do not have one used dslr dealer of any kind that I have been able to find. Is this normal ?

Fr> Yes. The price of new digital cameras has been falling fast and the features of the cameras have been rising just as fast. Nobody wants to buy a used digital camera. A shop would only take a used camera off your hands if you were going to buy a new camera

OP> I've done a lot of recent research on ebay, our local buy and sell and the online refurbished market. I find prices in those realms to be unrealistically high. I'm seriously thinking of getting into used entry level dslrs as a vocation. As a buyer I would have no local competition whatsoever.As a seller on our local buy and sell I would have a maximum 48 hour turnover on my investments based on listing times I have tracked.Are other cities like this or do I live in a bizarre realm compared to other market areas ?

Fr> That sounds bizarre. I checked out my local EBAY. The actual bid prices are quite low (I found an example - a DSLR I paid $2200 5 years ago was announced at $500 and sold for $200). A friend of mine is a regular EBAY shopper. He usually buys something on EBAY, tries it for a while then sells it for the same as he paid for it
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    OP> I live in a city with a market of over one million people. We do not have one retailer that is interested in a fair used market.The only retailer we have that takes used in trade pays only a maximum of $50.00 for any dslr regardless of current resale value. We do not have one used dslr dealer of any kind that I have been able to find. Is this normal ?

Fr> Yes. The price of new digital cameras has been falling fast and the features of the cameras have been rising just as fast. Nobody wants to buy a used digital camera. A shop would only take a used camera off your hands if you were going to buy a new camera

OP> I've done a lot of recent research on ebay, our local buy and sell and the online refurbished market. I find prices in those realms to be unrealistically high. I'm seriously thinking of getting into used entry level dslrs as a vocation. As a buyer I would have no local competition whatsoever.As a seller on our local buy and sell I would have a maximum 48 hour turnover on my investments based on listing times I have tracked.Are other cities like this or do I live in a bizarre realm compared to other market areas ?

Fr> That sounds bizarre. I checked out my local EBAY. The actual bid prices are quite low (I found an example - a DSLR I paid $2200 5 years ago was announced at $500 and sold for $200). A friend of mine is a regular EBAY shopper. He usually buys something on EBAY, tries it for a while then sells it for the same as he paid for it
    On Ebay Canada you only see vendors willing to ship internationally. I deal part time in toy collectables so I know that US domestic-only vendors get only a fraction of what intl.shipping vendors get. The same rule applies to vendors in European countries. In the local marketplace I'm curious what the resale market is like elsewhere.

I am beginning to think that our hot local used marketplace is a product of used purchasers that have no idea what new product is selling for. I just returned home from my first unsuccessful attempt to convince a store to accept tradeins that I would in turn buy, sight unseen at my risk.

In good conscience I could not sell used product for the prices I see people getting here.Nor would I pay people as poorly as our one and only trade in store does. I think that earning a 100% profit on investment is more than adequate on a 24 to 72 hour turnaround.

i buy everything on amazon way cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by bghouse88 View Post
    i buy everything on amazon way cheaper
    In defense of our local retailers I need to point out that new product is , on average, cheaper here than anything I can find on line. I am interested primarily in Nikon. The Nikon d7000 is the only camera I am interested in that is cheaper on line than locally. Anything more expensive than the d7000 is out of my league so I haven't done any research above that level. Our biggest problem in the local new market is small inventory.Our retailers only carry 1 to 3 of each item on average and there is only a very nominal diversity of product. I'd like to buy a Tamron 18-200 non vr with Nikon mount. It is easy to find on line at under $250.00 new. In this city I can't find any Tamron, let alone anything that is not current.Another thing I haven't seen locally is a Macro lense for objects under one inch. When I look at the lack of diversity in this city of one million people I feel like I am living in a rural village in a third world country.

Thread Information