Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon d3100 vs d7000???

Just wondering the pros and cons of these two...which one may be better since they are both the same cost??

n8

Re: Nikon d3100 vs d7000???

I don't think the 3100 is as expensive as the 7000. With a little research, you'll find that the d7000 potentially blows away just about everything up to the D700.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

The D7000 has only just been announced and nobody has any experience with it yet. I've handled one - it seems just as useful as my D300 with all the features of a pro DSLR except the Compact Flash card format (but then it has two SDHC slots).

The D3100 is for consumer snapshooters. It seems to have lots of features but when you look closely you realise it has a poky little viewfinder and that it's missing lots of buttons and dials that you need to set things quickly when you're in action.

The D7000 is much more expensive than the D3100
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Old thread, I know, but as a avid photographer who wanted to buy a D7000 but just couldn't afford it, I have to say I'm extremely happy with my D3100. Unless you need the pro features, save some cash and go with the entry level offering (I was stepping up from a 6 MP D70, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt).

Greg

I'm totally new to dslrs. My last new camera was a Canon AE1.I was seriously thinking of buying the d7000 but a very convincing professional photographer convinced me to buy the 3100 body plus the Tamron non vr 18-200.The local combined cost would be $750.00 vs $1200 for the d7000 with kit lense. I haven't made the purchase yet but I'm very committed to doing so as soon as I raise the cash.

The D3100 is for consumers who don't want to get too deeply into photography or do something too challenging. There are lots of program modes with preset technical choices for different situations. It's a very capable camera and will probably be more than enough for your needs.

The D7000 is an experts camera. There are a lot more buttons and dials on it because in the heat of the action, you are the one making the decisions and the camera lets you set things directly (without plunging into a menu like you do on the D3100). Of course to make best use of it you have to learn the possibilities of the camera and how to set them.

Technically the D7000 is ahead - better autofocus, higher ISO, much better viewfinder, excellent kit lens etc. etc. That's why everyone wants to buy one. But it's not necessarily the best choice for you.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhippy View Post
    I'm totally new to dslrs. My last new camera was a Canon AE1.I was seriously thinking of buying the d7000 but a very convincing professional photographer convinced me to buy the 3100 body plus the Tamron non vr 18-200.The local combined cost would be $750.00 vs $1200 for the d7000 with kit lense. I haven't made the purchase yet but I'm very committed to doing so as soon as I raise the cash.
    Welcome to Photography Review! Be very careful where you purchase any of your equipment from and check them out FIRST!!!!!! You may want to read the link below in my post about Recommended sites and sites to avoid. You can find a link near the bottom of my reply, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaw View Post
    Welcome to Photography Review! Be very careful where you purchase any of your equipment from and check them out FIRST!!!!!! You may want to read the link below in my post about Recommended sites and sites to avoid. You can find a link near the bottom of my reply, Jeff
    I just remembered that I did buy a new dslr about a year and a half ago. I think it was a Sony A330. When I got home and opened the allegedly new box everything inside was coated with dried pop from an exploding pop can. It looked like it might have been Orange Crush. The battery was also missing. When I returned it to the store they offered a new battery plus a 20% refund if I agreed to keep the camera. I didn't want a new camera and manual covered with sticky dried orange stuff all over them. About a year before that I bought a new Fuji point and shoot at a clearance sale. It was reduced from $300.00 to $130.00 because it was discontinued. When I got home I was surprised to learn that I needed a memory card. I had never even heard of a memory card before. After attempting to buy a card from six different chain stores I gave up the quest. The discarded camera lay in my bureau drawer until about a year ago. I then gave it to my daughter to replace her stolen camera.

Needless to say I won't be buying anywhere that does not have an easy return policy.

Regardless of failed attempts to go digital in the past I am definitely sticking to my Nikon 3100 decision.I just returned from a camera store.I had gone there in response to another poster that suggested I should look at Olympus if I like the feel of good lense movement. Unfortunately they had no Olympus in stock because they have dropped the product.While there I rechecked all the dslrs on display for quality of lense movement.Every non Nikon dslr at every price felt like junk while every Nikon felt admirable. I was surprised that the 3100 movement was as slick as the higher end Nikons. The movements are not as good as on my old AE1s but todays cameras are far cheaper to buy than the AE1s were in their day.

Thread Information