Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    An enthusiastic amateur.

Switching from film to dslr... hints?

After many years of film -- the last five with my trusty Nikon N80 -- I'm switching to full-time digital, I just bought the D70s, an 18-70 Nikkor lens and a b+w circular polarizer. I've read a lot about the importance of white balance, for example, and about the different file types you can save your shots in (basic, raw, raw+basic, etc). Any guidance on these two areas especially, or other tips, is greatly appreciated. PS I'm new to this forum, too, and I am really enjoying reading the posts.

Keep buying

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFoster
    After many years of film -- the last five with my trusty Nikon N80 -- I'm switching to full-time digital, I just bought the D70s, an 18-70 Nikkor lens and a b+w circular polarizer. I've read a lot about the importance of white balance, for example, and about the different file types you can save your shots in (basic, raw, raw+basic, etc). Any guidance on these two areas especially, or other tips, is greatly appreciated. PS I'm new to this forum, too, and I am really enjoying reading the posts.
    1. Shoot RAW+basic and get yourself a decent RAW Editor (I use Nikon Capture). The basic JPG I get from the camera is useful for a first look at what I've done - but I always replace it with a high-quality JPG from the RAW file after editing. White balance at shooting time really isn't that important - I can change it in NC.

2. Get yourself a good flash like the SB600 or SB800 and use it often to fill in the shadows. The camera usually does a good job of smoothing out excess contrast and enhancing the colours.

Charles

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Re: Switching from film to dslr... hints?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianFoster
    I would suggest shooting in RAW mode and saving the results as your "negatives." You can adjust the WB to anything you want with a RAW file. I use BreezeBrowser Pro to convert/manipulate RAW files and then save them in an appropriate format (JPG, TIF, etc.) for use elsewhere.

"Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Thread Information