Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Switching to digital / Nikon compatibility questions

I have a Nikon N80 camera and a variety of lenses/flashes, but I am ready to go digital. I am wondering if any of the following will be compatible with the Nikon N70 or higher end digital SLRs.

Tamron 28-200 XR
    Tamron 70-300 1:2 Macro
    Nikon SB80DX Flash
    Sunpak 5000PZ Flash

If they won't work, any thoughts about remaining with a Nikon system or moving over to another brand?

I do mostly portraits, candids, etc. plus some photojournalistic event coverage and an occasional wedding.

Thanks!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    you mean D70

the only item that MAY NOT work FULLY is the sunpak flash.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Ooopss....

err...umm... RIGHT... D70!!!

That would be great if the lenses and flash would work with it. I read somewhere that the SB80DX would not work in TTL mode with the D70, just in AUTO mode and I wasn't sure what effect that would have.

It would be great to only have to buy a digital body to make the switch, and add extras when I figured out what I want.

Do you think there is any value in buying the D70 with the kit lens, or just use the lenses I already have?

Any other must-haves or gotta-haves that you would recommend?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    you mean D70

the only item that MAY NOT work FULLY is the sunpak flash.

Quote Originally Posted by jokola
    . I read somewhere that the SB80DX would not work in TTL mode with the D70, just in AUTO mode and I wasn't sure what effect that would have.

Do you think there is any value in buying the D70 with the kit lens, or just use the lenses I already have?

Any other must-haves or gotta-haves that you would recommend?

Thanks!
    WELL... the DX rating is a designation that it is made to WORK WITH the newer D series cameras(D1X,D1H,D2H,D100,D70) , prior D1, and FILM BODIES.

WHEN I WENT DIGITAL I went from nikon to canon so I stopped following nikon's ever changing system. but I would suggest getting a SC17 off camera cord ;), at least 1- LEXAR 40X/80X 512 CARD, a SECOND BATTERY, the KIT LENS, a 50F1.8(becomes an 80mm)............................................. .........................

THE KIT and CARD will get you started though ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

macro/portrait lens for Nikon D70?

Hi again,

I have a Nikon Nikkor 50mm AF 1.8 lens that is probably about 5 years old and in perfect condition. I assume that would work OK, even though it is not a digital lens?

I also have a couple SC17 cords and stroboframe brackets from my current N80 setup... and again I assume the brackets would fit the D70 body?

What I would love to add to my setup is a macro/portrait lens. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jennie

WELL... the DX rating is a designation that it is made to WORK WITH the newer D series cameras(D1X,D1H,D2H,D100,D70) , prior D1, and FILM BODIES.

WHEN I WENT DIGITAL I went from nikon to canon so I stopped following nikon's ever changing system. but I would suggest getting a SC17 off camera cord ;), at least 1- LEXAR 40X/80X 512 CARD, a SECOND BATTERY, the KIT LENS, a 50F1.8(becomes an 80mm)............................................. .........................

THE KIT and CARD will get you started though ;)

New flash system on D70..

and to fully utilize the new i-TTL system on the D70, you must buy either of the new flashes, the SB-800 or SB-600. It's worth it IMO, as the new flash system is awesome. None of the older flashes will work in any TTL mode. This straight from Thom Hogan's site:

"However, if you want to shoot in any TTL mode, you'll need either the internal flash, the SB-600, or SB-800. Older flash units, such as the SB-28DX, SB-50DX, or SB-80DX Speedlight will not perform TTL on the D70." - Thom Hogan

About the new i-TTL flash system:

"On the plus side, the new Speedlights perform pre-flash and full TTL capabilities even when the flash head is set to a bounce position (on 35mm bodies, setting the flash head to any angle other than normal or down -7 degrees cancels some of the more advanced TTL features). The internal flash also supports advanced TTL modes (as well as Manual flash at user-settable powers and a special Commander mode that allows you to wirelessly control a remote SB-600 or SB-800).

Flash is one area where the D70 shines over the Digital Rebel. The D70 has an extraordinary flexibility in flash control (much better than even the D100). When amateurs start getting wireless, multiple flash setups correct you know that something's changed for the better." - Thom Hogan

Hope this helps...like Paul said, all the lenses should work fine.

Hi again,

I have a Nikon Nikkor 50mm AF 1.8 lens that is probably about 5 years old and in perfect condition. I assume that would work OK, even though it is not a digital lens?

I also have a couple SC17 cords and stroboframe brackets from my current N80 setup... and again I assume the brackets would fit the D70 body?

What I would love to add to my setup is a macro/portrait lens. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jennie
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

THAT IS WHY NIKON WAS LEFT BEHIND BY ME!!!!!!

BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY ........HAHAHAHAHAHA

guess what.... MY 550EX WILL WORK ON A ELAN 2 and a 1D MK II

MY 100-400 WORKS ON A EOS 650(maybe not the IS?) and 1D MKII

JUST MY THOUGHTS ON NIKON'S BS changes every 6 months!! Leaving the owner of a new camera/lens SPENDING MORE $$ TO GET A FLASH/TC that WORKS with THE NEWEST PURCHASE!!!!!

If you can deal with that....

buy a macro in the 50-105 range from TAMRON/SIGMA/NIKON and keep shooting(but with a DSLR).....AFTER YOU DROP $335 for a NEW FLASH with the same power as a SB28DX /80DX
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Paul...

People are reporting alot of problems with using the 550EX with e-TTL on the Mark II. Something about the flash taking forever to actually fire or something like that. Alot of people have blown off using that flash and are using a Metz flash, with flash set to AUTO, and camera to MANUAL, which is the exact same thing you can do with the D70 and the older flashes. Flash systems are constantly being updated, especially with the DSLR's now, and the older flashes just don't seem to work as intended, NO MATTER which camera system you are using. The new flash system on the D70 may not be backwards compatible, but at least that was said up front, and IT IS worlds ahead of the older TTL system, with full TTL capabilities even with bounce and a totally wireless multiple flash system in Commander mode.
    Like I always say, there are pluses and minuses to each system. BOTH systems have their own quirks and problems. It is up to the user to decide which they would rather deal with.

One more thing, are saving up your money for that trip to Colorado yet? ;)

THAT IS WHY NIKON WAS LEFT BEHIND BY ME!!!!!!

BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY ........HAHAHAHAHAHA

guess what.... MY 550EX WILL WORK ON A ELAN 2 and a 1D MK II

MY 100-400 WORKS ON A EOS 650(maybe not the IS?) and 1D MKII

JUST MY THOUGHTS ON NIKON'S BS changes every 6 months!! Leaving the owner of a new camera/lens SPENDING MORE $$ TO GET A FLASH/TC that WORKS with THE NEWEST PURCHASE!!!!!

If you can deal with that....

buy a macro in the 50-105 range from TAMRON/SIGMA/NIKON and keep shooting(but with a DSLR).....AFTER YOU DROP $335 for a NEW FLASH with the same power as a SB28DX /80DX
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery
    Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter. - Ansel Adams

off topic

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoamigo
    One more thing, are saving up your money for that trip to Colorado yet? ;)
    SAVING $$ every chance I get!

I have had a bad taste in my mouth for weeks ;) from TRYING to get a FAT RAISE.

WE will see if my rump roast diet pays off?

MIND YOU.... ONCE I GET IT(or QUIT) I will be back to my normal self
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Brian,

Out of curiosity, where are all these people experiencing all these problem with the 550/Mark II setup? DPReview by any chance?

Many people in the sports/journalism field have had nothing bad to say about the camera, and the flash system gets raves. In fact, the worst thing argued about the new body is the vertical shutter release being too sensitive.

Just wondering because the ones that received the majority of the bodies, the ones that use them day in and day out, have reported very few problems. Yet the DPReview forums of this world are smothered with bad news. Now that I think about it, it's like that with every body, for every manufacturer, that has ever come out. If I listened to those morons I would have never bought the D100 due to "backfocusing" and would have stayed clear of any other new digital for the very same problem, as well as a myriad of others.

Sorry to get off track there, just gotta be careful where the info comes from. The 550/E-TTL II system, from every report I have heard personally or read about, performs as advertised.

Do you by any chance know if there is a legitimate technical reason for i-TTL disabling TTL in DX flashes?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

AURTHUR MORRIS USES 3(YES 3) 1D MKII'S WITH 550/540 FLASHES ;)

HE NEVER MENTIONS ISSUES WITH IT???

HMMM ..i WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS.........NOW!!!

DP REVIEW is a JOKER hangout!

I will go were REAL PROFESSIONALS POST ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Yes, you are correct...

and I should know better because all those forums do at DPReview is give me a headache. I only go there because every once in awhile, you can find some useful info buried in all the crap (needle in a haystack), and I visit the higher end camera forums of both companies because there seem to be more "needles" in those haystacks. ;) Even as a Nikon user I can find useful info about PS, third party software etc., in other companies forums.
    But as far as the 550EX/Mark II, I thought I saw a post on a Galbraith forum as well with the problem. Just probably someone who didn't know how to work the camera. My mistake. :S
    Regardless, though, Nikon is not the only company that changes things up to where the backwards compatibility is compromised in the name of technological development. It happens all the time. Canon did the same thing when they changed lens mounts (I have a buddy who, ridicuously, to this day refuses to buy ANYTHING Canon, because of that).
    I still think the new flash system of the Nikon is worth it, but to answer your last question, no, I don't know the technological reason behind the older flashes not working with TTL on the D70.

Again, I should know better. My apologies!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Brian,

Out of curiosity, where are all these people experiencing all these problem with the 550/Mark II setup? DPReview by any chance?

Many people in the sports/journalism field have had nothing bad to say about the camera, and the flash system gets raves. In fact, the worst thing argued about the new body is the vertical shutter release being too sensitive.

Just wondering because the ones that received the majority of the bodies, the ones that use them day in and day out, have reported very few problems. Yet the DPReview forums of this world are smothered with bad news. Now that I think about it, it's like that with every body, for every manufacturer, that has ever come out. If I listened to those morons I would have never bought the D100 due to "backfocusing" and would have stayed clear of any other new digital for the very same problem, as well as a myriad of others.

Sorry to get off track there, just gotta be careful where the info comes from. The 550/E-TTL II system, from every report I have heard personally or read about, performs as advertised.

Do you by any chance know if there is a legitimate technical reason for i-TTL disabling TTL in DX flashes?
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Brian,

Don't apologize, you should knw better than that by now. I was just playing devil's advocate in a way. Some places where a few people with money get their hands on a new toy might be saturated with problems, whereas another forum where many people use several of them for their daily bread and butter have nothing but good things to say.

It's all about who you listen to, I'm just trying to say there are more places out there to look, not for you as much as for people that might read this.

Obsolescence is something that sometimes has to be done. Canon did it and I know many were pissed, but since then every EOS product is compatible with pretty much every other EOS product. I question Nikon's move to disable TTL with DX flashes because I am having a hard time finding a technical reason why it wouldn't be possible to leave it on. For a company that prides itself on its backwards compatible lens mount, I wonder why I see so many products stop working when moving from body to body. Sure, the lenses MOUNT to newer bodies, but the intentional crippling of metering and functionality makes me wonder why they don't just come out with a new mount outright. If you have old glass and want a newer body because the old one broke and need a D2H or F5 to be able to fully utilize your old lens, then the investment in a new body is only a little bit away from just buying a new lens and a new body, and then at that point the idea of backwards compatability is moot anyway, and you are free to pick and choose the system based on a clean slate of needs and desires.

To me, it just seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot. The lenses will mount, but they make you jump through hoops to be able to USE the lens once its mounted. The flash will mount, but suddenly doesn't work like it used to. At that point, why bother? This was a big reason for my switch. Getting the D2H was a very appealing option, until I read that I would need a new $400 flash. And new $100 software. Suddenly the camera costs $3700, plus the cost of batteries. 800 bucks more buys me the Mark II at twice the MP count.

Brand loyalty only goes so far. It just didn't make sense to me, no matter how I looked at it. And I know all too well that there are MANY thinking the same way I am. It's not even about which is better, it's just that I eventually started thinking that Nikon seems kind of lost, technologically and idealistically. And at that point I decided to give my hard earned money to someone who I believe will do better things with it that will in the end benefit me.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I do see your points...

and at the risk of losing my "Samurai" status, if Nikon doesn't make significant upgrades to their pro camera line within the next year or two (which is when I plan on upgrading), I will make the switch myself. I don't have a ton invested in Nikon just yet, and will not unless I see improvement in their pro line.
    That being said, I still see the D70 as a major step foward for Nikon from a price/performance standpoint, and a couple years can make a huge difference for a company (it certainly did for Canon). But I can only hold my faith for so long and we will see what the future holds.
    I don't think Nikon is technologically lost, as they make fantastic product, but idealistically, certainly that may be true.
    I did consider the 10D when I was looking at the D70, but for me ergonomics is a big deal, as a camera has to feel comfortable to me. For me, from an image quality standpoint, the two were very evenly matched (though I do wish the D70 had ISO 100). Especially in prints. I've seen many 10D prints, and I just got an Epson R300 (to hold me over until I can afford a 2200), and my prints from the D70 are absolutely incredible, with stunning detail, and no noise!! They match or better anything I've seen from the 10D. Also, the overall speed of the camera, and I'm not just talking about frame rate (which I know the 10D is better), but everything, from startup to image preview, menu controls, to write speed, led me to the D70, as well as the 1/500sec flash sync speed (which I've used many, many times already. I know there advantages with the 10D as well, but I figure when I upgrade I'll have those features. I am extremely pleased with the features of the D70 so far, and do not regret my purchase whatsoever. I am also very pleased with the kit lens as well. For all of these reasons, I still have faith that Nikon will deliver a pro line body that will at least equal Canon's, and still give me the Nikon ergonomics, and most likely, even better image quality than what I have now. But it better happen soon, or Nikon will lose another loyal customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Brian,

Don't apologize, you should knw better than that by now. I was just playing devil's advocate in a way. Some places where a few people with money get their hands on a new toy might be saturated with problems, whereas another forum where many people use several of them for their daily bread and butter have nothing but good things to say.

It's all about who you listen to, I'm just trying to say there are more places out there to look, not for you as much as for people that might read this.

Obsolescence is something that sometimes has to be done. Canon did it and I know many were pissed, but since then every EOS product is compatible with pretty much every other EOS product. I question Nikon's move to disable TTL with DX flashes because I am having a hard time finding a technical reason why it wouldn't be possible to leave it on. For a company that prides itself on its backwards compatible lens mount, I wonder why I see so many products stop working when moving from body to body. Sure, the lenses MOUNT to newer bodies, but the intentional crippling of metering and functionality makes me wonder why they don't just come out with a new mount outright. If you have old glass and want a newer body because the old one broke and need a D2H or F5 to be able to fully utilize your old lens, then the investment in a new body is only a little bit away from just buying a new lens and a new body, and then at that point the idea of backwards compatability is moot anyway, and you are free to pick and choose the system based on a clean slate of needs and desires.

To me, it just seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot. The lenses will mount, but they make you jump through hoops to be able to USE the lens once its mounted. The flash will mount, but suddenly doesn't work like it used to. At that point, why bother? This was a big reason for my switch. Getting the D2H was a very appealing option, until I read that I would need a new $400 flash. And new $100 software. Suddenly the camera costs $3700, plus the cost of batteries. 800 bucks more buys me the Mark II at twice the MP count.

Brand loyalty only goes so far. It just didn't make sense to me, no matter how I looked at it. And I know all too well that there are MANY thinking the same way I am. It's not even about which is better, it's just that I eventually started thinking that Nikon seems kind of lost, technologically and idealistically. And at that point I decided to give my hard earned money to someone who I believe will do better things with it that will in the end benefit me.
    Regards,
    Brian

Samurai #6
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by coloradoamigo
    But it better happen soon, or Nikon will lose another loyal customer.
    See, that's exactly it, it comes to a point where you have to make a choice. You have needs or desires and the company either meets them, or they lose a customer. Luckily we have two great systems to choose from, so if your preffered choice doesn't meet your needs anymore, you have a very legitimate alternative, no matter which way you go.
    -Seb

My website

Check out the Fuji S3

I have a Nikon N80 camera and a variety of lenses/flashes, but I am ready to go digital. I am wondering if any of the following will be compatible with the Nikon N70 or higher end digital SLRs.

Tamron 28-200 XR
    Tamron 70-300 1:2 Macro
    Nikon SB80DX Flash
    Sunpak 5000PZ Flash

If they won't work, any thoughts about remaining with a Nikon system or moving over to another brand?

I do mostly portraits, candids, etc. plus some photojournalistic event coverage and an occasional wedding.

Thanks!
    One of the interesting things about the Fuji Finepix S3 announcement is that they say that the camera is compatible with all Nikon speedlights. We'll have to wait till the first tests to find out exactly what that means. As far as anyone can make out the photo part of the S3 is pretty close to the F80 so you might find that all your gear is compatible.

Charles

Questions about Fuji Finepix S3

A local camera dealer recently extolled the virtues of the S3... I must say I didn't pay much attention to him at the time... But now I am wondering if some of his hype might actually have been true?

Has anyone actually seen an S3 yet? When are they expected to go on sale? Pricepoint? How is it supposed to compare spec-wise with the various Nikon Digi-SLRs?

I was just getting my mind wrapped around the idea of going with the Nikon D70, which seems like it will cost a LOT less to get into... but is that the right decision?

Thanks,

Jennie

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    One of the interesting things about the Fuji Finepix S3 announcement is that they say that the camera is compatible with all Nikon speedlights. We'll have to wait till the first tests to find out exactly what that means. As far as anyone can make out the photo part of the S3 is pretty close to the F80 so you might find that all your gear is compatible.

Charles

See News & Rumours

A local camera dealer recently extolled the virtues of the S3... I must say I didn't pay much attention to him at the time... But now I am wondering if some of his hype might actually have been true?

Has anyone actually seen an S3 yet? When are they expected to go on sale? Pricepoint? How is it supposed to compare spec-wise with the various Nikon Digi-SLRs?

I was just getting my mind wrapped around the idea of going with the Nikon D70, which seems like it will cost a LOT less to get into... but is that the right decision?

Thanks,

Jennie
    The S3 was announced just last week (see the News & Rumours forum). I expect that it would be available this fall. People think that the price will be around $2300-$2500 which is a lot more than the D70 but a lot less than the D2X/D2H.

I'm not a professional but I do the occasional wedding and social event. The S3 seems reassuring because it has more pixels and greater tonal range than the D70 plus it may support my existing flash gear, but I'm waiting for the tests to see.

One thing is sure - Nikon will sell a million D70's and the S3 will only make a fraction of that. I may just go with the crowd.

Charles

Hmmm.... that's a big difference

If the S3 really will cost 2.5 times more, I would be hard pressed to justify the extra cost when I could buy the D70, a wide angle lens and a replacement flash for less than the S3. But I may be waiting until fall to buy something anyway, so I guess we'll see what develops in that time.

According to the Fuji Web site, the S3 is supposed to be available in October.

Jennie

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    The S3 was announced just last week (see the News & Rumours forum). I expect that it would be available this fall. People think that the price will be around $2300-$2500 which is a lot more than the D70 but a lot less than the D2X/D2H.

I'm not a professional but I do the occasional wedding and social event. The S3 seems reassuring because it has more pixels and greater tonal range than the D70 plus it may support my existing flash gear, but I'm waiting for the tests to see.

One thing is sure - Nikon will sell a million D70's and the S3 will only make a fraction of that. I may just go with the crowd.

Charles

According to the Fuji Web site, the S3 is supposed to be available in October.
    Anyone placing bets ? When the S2 was "released", it was still about six months before mere mortals could get one into their hands. Depends on who you knew, I guess. I've had an S2 for a year and love it. It's not for everyone but I've been very happy with it. At the time the D100 was almost the same price so I chose Fuji for a few reasons. I don't plan to get an S3 though, probably look at something a little faster like maybe a D2X at some point - maybe I'll have that kind of cash when the camera becomes a reality! Nothing wrong with the S2, it just doesn't do everything (like anything does...).

Two things: If you go with a D70 and do get the new flash, I think there's a new cord you have to use to get i-TTL, at least that's what Nikon said at a trade show. It's not an SC-17 anymore - possibly an SC-27? Check it out if you go this route. Also, the Fuji S2 is compatible with any Nikon flash. Sounds great but what does this mean in reality? Not much! The best results are using good old-fashoned "A" mode, not TTL. D-TTL (like on the D100 with SB80DX) may or may not be any better but supposedly i-TTL is pretty good but I have no personal experience with it. The S3 has D-TTL, but I'm not sure how much of an improvement this actually is.

Fuji is stong with wedding and portrait photographers. The extra latitude with the new sensor will help with one of the biggest problems with current digital cameras - high contrast scenes. Think about a bright white dress, black tux, good skin colors and no re-shoots...

SC 28 ;)

AND the only difference I see is a better lock and that stupid cord out the front has been changed to out the side .
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information