Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Studio Test Setup

I don't know if I've told you guys, but I've decided that I'm going to start doing some more formal and in-depth camera testing. I'll try to refrain from giving opinions on what camera people should buy. I want to concentrate on what is quantifiable and what sets cameras apart from each other. Towards the quantifiable end, I've set up this tabletop test. I plan to shoot this basic setup with all cameras that come my way, at all ISO settings. I think this will give us all a pretty trustworthy way to compare the different cameras image quality.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Studio Test Setup-macbethtarget.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John,

you know I am not a strong believer in such tests. Add something with lots of detail though.

Uwe

I would lose all my joy in photography doing these kinds of tests.
    www.outbackphoto.com
    www.colors-by-nature.com

Levis

A detailed object is a good idea. I was thinking of some denim, too, since it's a good test for moire.

I know what you mean about the technical tests. But once it's set up it will be really easy to do and people will use it.

Thanks-
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Lightbulb I think it's a great idea..........

however, I hope you get a variety of cameras, including less expensive p&s to more expensive DSLR, etc. I don't think I'm the only one who looks for these test before making the final decision. A resource like this would a major factor in deciding which camera is best. At least this is the way I see it. A great idea, and IMO, a great asset to this website. So many people look for these tests and having them right here would be great.

As for your setup - it looks good to me. All but the alligator. I don't like his color, too dull. Heheh....had to complain about something!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I don't know if I've told you guys, but I've decided that I'm going to start doing some more formal and in-depth camera testing. I'll try to refrain from giving opinions on what camera people should buy. I want to concentrate on what is quantifiable and what sets cameras apart from each other. Towards the quantifiable end, I've set up this tabletop test. I plan to shoot this basic setup with all cameras that come my way, at all ISO settings. I think this will give us all a pretty trustworthy way to compare the different cameras image quality.

What do you think?

Thread Information