Studio Test Setup

Printable View

• 03-05-2004, 12:27 AM
    Photo-John
    1 Attachment(s)
    Studio Test Setup
    I don't know if I've told you guys, but I've decided that I'm going to start doing some more formal and in-depth camera testing. I'll try to refrain from giving opinions on what camera people should buy. I want to concentrate on what is quantifiable and what sets cameras apart from each other. Towards the quantifiable end, I've set up this tabletop test. I plan to shoot this basic setup with all cameras that come my way, at all ISO settings. I think this will give us all a pretty trustworthy way to compare the different cameras image quality.

What do you think?
  • 03-05-2004, 09:32 AM
    ustein
    John,

you know I am not a strong believer in such tests. Add something with lots of detail though.

Uwe

I would lose all my joy in photography doing these kinds of tests.
  • 03-05-2004, 09:57 AM
    Photo-John
    Levis
    A detailed object is a good idea. I was thinking of some denim, too, since it's a good test for moire.

I know what you mean about the technical tests. But once it's set up it will be really easy to do and people will use it.

Thanks-
  • 03-05-2004, 11:01 AM
    Liz
    I think it's a great idea..........
    however, I hope you get a variety of cameras, including less expensive p&s to more expensive DSLR, etc. I don't think I'm the only one who looks for these test before making the final decision. A resource like this would a major factor in deciding which camera is best. At least this is the way I see it. A great idea, and IMO, a great asset to this website. So many people look for these tests and having them right here would be great.

As for your setup - it looks good to me. All but the alligator. I don't like his color, too dull. Heheh....had to complain about something! :D

Liz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I don't know if I've told you guys, but I've decided that I'm going to start doing some more formal and in-depth camera testing. I'll try to refrain from giving opinions on what camera people should buy. I want to concentrate on what is quantifiable and what sets cameras apart from each other. Towards the quantifiable end, I've set up this tabletop test. I plan to shoot this basic setup with all cameras that come my way, at all ISO settings. I think this will give us all a pretty trustworthy way to compare the different cameras image quality.

What do you think?