Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    GodSmack

Smile Need help picking a lens.

I have a Digital Rebel that I am currently using a Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 lens to shoot my kids sporting events with. I am somewhat happy with it but since I will be trying my hand in shooting local baseball games for profit then I don't think it will be enough. I have a budget up to $600.00 and I have these three lenses picked out. Any of them decent enough? Or do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Autofocus Lens

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO Aspherical Autofocus Lens

Quote Originally Posted by jbacklund
    I have a Digital Rebel that I am currently using a Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 lens to shoot my kids sporting events with. I am somewhat happy with it but since I will be trying my hand in shooting local baseball games for profit then I don't think it will be enough. I have a budget up to $600.00 and I have these three lenses picked out. Any of them decent enough? Or do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Autofocus Lens

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM

Sigma Zoom Telephoto 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO Aspherical Autofocus Lens
    I have the Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM that I use with my DRebel. I used it last weekend at the high school football game, and really wished it was a faster lens. I upped the ISO to 1600 to be able to shoot at a higher shutter speed. Here are some examples from that night, straight out of the camera (I shoot RAW so I converted these to jpeg using default settings). I was standing at the fence, just outside the track and about equal to the front of the bleachers, off to the right side. These are not very good pictures, but I wanted to demonstrate results at each focal length, everything else being equal. The third one is a shot all the way across the field to the opposing side bleachers.

Here are my stats for each pic:

Shooting Mode
    Manual
    Tv(Shutter Speed)
    1/160
    Av(Aperture Value)
    ISO Speed
    Lens
    75.0 - 300.0mm
    Focal Length

First shot: 170.0mm Second shot: 220.0mm Third shot: 300.0mm

Hope this helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help picking a lens.-line5.jpg   Need help picking a lens.-congrats3.jpg   Need help picking a lens.-otherteam6.jpg  
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    70-200F4L and a monopod

that will put you over $600 slightly, BUT you will LOVE it.

the 70-300 is a variable aperture lens, the front element extends while focusing(I think), no UD glass(which L lenses have), no lens hood included, no soft case either, no full time manual focus....

70-200F4L.... focuses 1 foot closer, lens hood/ soft case included, internal zoom/focus , L glass, same weight relatively, tripod foot AVAILABLE(though it's $120), faster focus motor, focus limiter(I think)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

GodSmack
    Thanks Kelly! Does the Image Stabilizer work well for you? I have noticed that some of my images are somewhat blurred but not many of them. Plus, I don't want to give up distance so that lens looks like a good "cheap" upgrade. I would love to buy the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX HSM or a Canon EF 70-200mm f4L USM.

GodSmack
    Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    70-200F4L and a monopod

that will put you over $600 slightly, BUT you will LOVE it.

the 70-300 is a variable aperture lens, the front element extends while focusing(I think), no UD glass(which L lenses have), no lens hood included, no soft case either, no full time manual focus....

70-200F4L.... focuses 1 foot closer, lens hood/ soft case included, internal zoom/focus , L glass, same weight relatively, tripod foot AVAILABLE(though it's $120), faster focus motor, focus limiter(I think)
    Paul, is a tripod collar included with that setup?

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    NEITHER lens has a tripod collar, nor do you DEFINATELY need one. the collar would help balance slightly and make vertical to horiziontal adjustments EASIER.

I shoot a 100-400L IS and can tell you this...

IS (2ND generation on 100-400, 1ST on 75-300) is a great tool when needed, but DON'T rely on it.

the tripod foot to me is hardly used(HAND HELD), but the lens is 4POUNDS ? , so one is A MUST on this sized lens for tripod mounting.

L glass makes images crisper, warmer, sharper.... though PS can warm an image too.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

jback, I don't often notice it unless I'm shooting in very low light with a slow shutter speed. I've definitely gotten clear images at much slower speeds than otherwise. I haven't done any real tests though to compare with and without, although I have turned it off sometimes but I haven't really studied the differences. I'll have to do that.

I like the lens, except for two things: I wish it was faster, and I wish it was an L series. But it's not because I didn't want to pay for that. My dream lens is the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, but at over $1200 I'm just not ready for it.

If you do get the lens I have, order it online from B&H. It's cheaper than dealers.

Oh, here's a shot I took with this lens at 1/125 f5.0 with the IS on. I have sharpened it in photoshop, but only for cosmetic enhancement.

GodSmack
    Wow, beautiful shot! I think I will go with that lens. I really don't have the money and I need the IS feature. Thanks for all your help.

I would love to see comparison shots taken with the other lenses. I would love to see what an L lens could do.

Thread Information