Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Sigma lenses vs. Nikon lenses

Which lenses do you prefer... I mainly just want one lens for everything at this moment...
    Sigma DC 18-250mm or Nikon 16-85mm

Re: Sigma lenses vs. Nikon lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Mister
    Which lenses do you prefer... I mainly just want one lens for everything at this moment...
    Then the Sigma is the way to go. Both lenses are about the same speed, meaning maximum aperture. From reading reviews, it seems the optics are probably similar although you might have asome more wide angle distortion with the Sigma being that it covers such aextensive focal range.
    You emphasized that your main objective was to have a lens for everything at this point and so the Sigma would be the answer.
    Nikon has the 18-200 which is similar in specs but much more expensive
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Quote Originally Posted by gahspidy
    Then the Sigma is the way to go. Both lenses are about the same speed, meaning maximum aperture. From reading reviews, it seems the optics are probably similar although you might have asome more wide angle distortion with the Sigma being that it covers such aextensive focal range.
    You emphasized that your main objective was to have a lens for everything at this point and so the Sigma would be the answer.
    Nikon has the 18-200 which is similar in specs but much more expensive
    Sorry I'm gonna pick your brain now how about Sigma vs. Tamron 17-50mm?

Sigma DC 18-250mm or Nikon 16-85mm
    These are not intended for the same usage:

The 16-85 is intended for experts and professionals who need a fairly wide zoom range (equivalent of a 24-127mm) with excellent image quality all the time. This is an expensive, very heavy lens (I have one).

The 18-250 is intended for people who want to cover everything in one zoom. I do have the 18-200mm Nikon that the previous poster mentioned.

Which of the Nikons do I prefer? Neither. If I can I use the 16-85 because the image quality is slightly better but if I'm in a situation where I need a wide range without changing lenses then I use the 18-200.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Sorry I'm gonna pick your brain now how about Sigma vs. Tamron 17-50mm?
    Your comparing apples and oranges, really.
    Here in our review section is a well written review of the Tamron 17-50
    The Tamron that your considering, like the Nikons only cover less than half the focal range of the noted Sigma.
    However, this Tamron has a constant 2.8 maximum aperture which means its better for shooting in lower lighting as well as some other situations that would benefit from having a faster shutter speed.

Its got a good review and I believe it would be a good lens, but once again i'm going back to your original concern which was a lens that can do everything at the moment, and that would still be the Sigma.
    The Sigma allows you to get wide angle shots as well as long range zoom for closing in on wildlife, sports, etc.
    The others offer wide angle but not nearly as capable as zooming in on a subject as the Sigma.
    please do not edit and repost my photos

gary

Great! thanks for all your help everyone... I decided to go against both of them and bought the Tamron 17-50mm

Thread Information