Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Canon Rebel Xsi versus Nikon D5000

Hello,
    I'm a student and I'll be spending a year studying aboad in Beirut Lebanon. While I'm there, I'd like to take pictures of the city Beirut, people who live and work there, as well as some shots of the Mediterranean sea. I'm a student so I can't afford the most expensive dSLR's on the market but I've narrowed my choice down to the Canon Rebel Xsi and Nikon D5000.

I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice on which camera I should get for my purpose.

I'm taking a digitial photgraphy class at my University next semester, but I'm nonetheless attracted to the D5000's user friendly menu/interface since I'm a beginner with SLR's. I also like that the D5000 has a fully articulated LCD as well as a video recording option. But I hear that the in-menu system for ajusting ISO, aperture, and shutterspeed getting annoying with D5000 after awhile.

On the other hand, I hear Canon's one-button options for changing things like ISO and etc. come in handy. Canon also has two options for autofocus- one is contrast based, the other quicker autofocus actually flips the mirror. The problem with Canon is that the interface is not as friendly, the LCD is fixed, and it does not have video options.

Please help me decide what to do!

Re: Canon Rebel Xsi versus Nikon D5000

I think you are on the right track with your analysis and only you can decide. Which of these features is important to you?

"Canon also has two options for autofocus- one is contrast based, the other quicker autofocus actually flips the mirror."

Both Nikon and Canon use contrast focus for the Live View and phase-detect focus with a mirror for the viewfinder.

Also, don't forget that the lens is at least as inportant as the body.

TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Re: Canon Rebel Xsi versus Nikon D5000

Menu's get annoying on most any entry-level body. You may even want to consider a higher end model for that purpose, but a slightly older one to stay within budget - like the Canon 40D or Nikon D200 for example. Still though, on those cameras you mentioned they have one control dial that adjusts aperture/shutter, twist for one, press a button and twist for the other (you can swap the priority for ap/shutter in your menu), ISO is just a button and move and select. Other things like metering mode, drive mode and bracketing and the sorts are buried in menu. The higher end bodies have two control dials, one dedicated to aperture, one to shutter, you can swap them and even swap the direction of adjustment to suit your needs, this sort of interactive ability is more functional with the higher end bodies.

Anyway, whatever you end up getting be sure to get a fixed 50mm lens for it, the best lens to learn on, and by far the best quality for the buck, most 50mm's are between $100-$350, and they're all very good. I'd rather have the cheapest body with a 50mm f/1.8 ($100), then the nicest body with the kit 18-55.

Of course practically speaking I could take the nicer body, and sell it and buy a whole bunch of 50's.... hmmmm..
    Last edited by Anbesol; 01-22-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Thread Information