Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB?

I have a Nikon D3100. I shoot Video and shoot in burst mode a lot. Would this card be better or the regular Extreme work? Does the D3100 take advantage of the UHS-I (SDXC)? Thanks…
    Nikon D3100
    Nikon 18-55 VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR

Nikon S8200

Re: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB?

Are you having any problems with your D3100 in video or burst mode? If not, then the card won't help. I am honestly a bit unclear about how faster cards help with video. I mean, I understand it conceptually. But I have a bunch of cards, none of them the fastest available, and I've never noticed that one card performs better than another for video.

As far as burst mode goes, the faster card will help if you regularly fill your camera's buffer. Do you shoot a lot of long bursts and find your camera chokes after a few shots? That would be the buffer filling up and the camera having to write to the card before it can shoot more. If that happens a lot then a faster card will definitely make a difference.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Are you having any problems with your D3100 in video or burst mode? If not, then the card won't help. I am honestly a bit unclear about how faster cards help with video. I mean, I understand it conceptually. But I have a bunch of cards, none of them the fastest available, and I've never noticed that one card performs better than another for video.

As far as burst mode goes, the faster card will help if you regularly fill your camera's buffer. Do you shoot a lot of long bursts and find your camera chokes after a few shots? That would be the buffer filling up and the camera having to write to the card before it can shoot more. If that happens a lot then a faster card will definitely make a difference.
    It does choke some when I shoot in burst. I think the faster card will help just not sure if my D3100 supports UHS-I (SDXC) Thanks for the reply !!!
    Nikon D3100
    Nikon 18-55 VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR

Nikon S8200

john - I think faster cards can afford longer clip times on 1080p video. That may or may not be true with some cameras depending on their buffer. Its true to all of them according to some salesmen though ;).
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Thread Information