SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB?

Printable View

• 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM
    04mach1
    SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB?
    I have a Nikon D3100. I shoot Video and shoot in burst mode a lot. Would this card be better or the regular Extreme work? Does the D3100 take advantage of the UHS-I (SDXC)? Thanks…
  • 01-20-2012, 06:49 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB?
    Are you having any problems with your D3100 in video or burst mode? If not, then the card won't help. I am honestly a bit unclear about how faster cards help with video. I mean, I understand it conceptually. But I have a bunch of cards, none of them the fastest available, and I've never noticed that one card performs better than another for video.

As far as burst mode goes, the faster card will help if you regularly fill your camera's buffer. Do you shoot a lot of long bursts and find your camera chokes after a few shots? That would be the buffer filling up and the camera having to write to the card before it can shoot more. If that happens a lot then a faster card will definitely make a difference.
  • 01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
    04mach1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    Are you having any problems with your D3100 in video or burst mode? If not, then the card won't help. I am honestly a bit unclear about how faster cards help with video. I mean, I understand it conceptually. But I have a bunch of cards, none of them the fastest available, and I've never noticed that one card performs better than another for video.

As far as burst mode goes, the faster card will help if you regularly fill your camera's buffer. Do you shoot a lot of long bursts and find your camera chokes after a few shots? That would be the buffer filling up and the camera having to write to the card before it can shoot more. If that happens a lot then a faster card will definitely make a difference.

It does choke some when I shoot in burst. I think the faster card will help just not sure if my D3100 supports UHS-I (SDXC) Thanks for the reply !!!
  • 01-21-2012, 11:58 AM
    Anbesol
    john - I think faster cards can afford longer clip times on 1080p video. That may or may not be true with some cameras depending on their buffer. Its true to all of them according to some salesmen though ;).