Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Questions from someone new to DSLR's

I am going to be doing some stock photography and was hoping to find out a number of different things.

I would like to get an DSLR camera with two to three lenses with a wide range of power from wide angle to as powerful of lense as I can get (or one multipurpose Lense).

I have a Pentax 35 mm camera with two Pentax lenses a 28-80 mm f 3.5 & an 80-320 mm f 4.5 & I am not sure whether or not to utilize these two lenses .

I have heard a that Nikon has the best quality lenses that come with the camera, then Pentax & third Canon – what is your opinion ?

At the moment I have a Canon Powershot S5 IS .

I was wondering which were the best two or three makes for the beginner or intermediate photographer ?

Which lenses would be the most versatile and most widely used ?

Which of the flashes (with a hot-shoe) would be the best all round one ?

I am also thinking of purchasing a multiplyer, although it may not be used that much. Is there any one in particular that is better ?

I could also ask you which of the stock photography website's / companies are better and can make a person some money.

Thank you very much Craig

Re: Questions from someone new to DSLR's

Hi Craig. I have taken stock fotos with a Pentax K10D using 2 lenses the 1st an 18-55 which come with the kit and I also used for macro work the Tamron 70-300 with built in Macro, you obviously have to stand back using the tripod but it gives great pictures and clarity. I don't know where abouts you are but In Spain Pentax is a very bad seller and you can buy a new K10D for about 400 Euros with the 18-55 lens, can't help out on the other points you mentiones but thought I would pass over my viwe. All the best. Kevin
    The Image is our imagination the better the imagination the better the image, the camera is only the tool to portrait our imagination for others to enjoy.

First off, we need to know your budget. For the moment I'll assume $9500, as this is an average budget for the size of the kit you are looking for (less lenses=cheaper). As far as cameras you can go for the Nikon D80 or the Pentax K10D. I bought the D80 because it feels very solid and has an incredible feature load and unbelievable image quality. From here I bought the 18-200mm lens. Guess what? It is a wide angle, mid range, and telephoto lens all in one. It has vibration reduction, and is the only huge range lens I have seen with impecable image quality. That will set you back $700. The 18-200 is my favorite lens of all time, and you will almost never need to swap lenses again. As for flashes the Nikon SB-600 is what I use. It costs 180 dollars and is quite good for what I use it for. You can purchase the top of the line SB-800 but that's 300 bucks and not worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps. I don't know much about stock sites though.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Quote Originally Posted by fx101
    First off, we need to know your budget. For the moment I'll assume $9500, as this is an average budget for the size of the kit you are looking for (less lenses=cheaper). As far as cameras you can go for the Nikon D80 or the Pentax K10D. I bought the D80 because it feels very solid and has an incredible feature load and unbelievable image quality. From here I bought the 18-200mm lens. Guess what? It is a wide angle, mid range, and telephoto lens all in one. It has vibration reduction, and is the only huge range lens I have seen with impecable image quality. That will set you back $700. The 18-200 is my favorite lens of all time, and you will almost never need to swap lenses again. As for flashes the Nikon SB-600 is what I use. It costs 180 dollars and is quite good for what I use it for. You can purchase the top of the line SB-800 but that's 300 bucks and not worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps. I don't know much about stock sites though.
    Doh!:mad2: I meant 1500 not 9500. 9500 would buy you A LOT more than that.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

Thread Information