• 08-31-2007, 11:34 AM
    SCOBAHCAN
    Questions from someone new to DSLR's
    I am going to be doing some stock photography and was hoping to find out a number of different things.

I would like to get an DSLR camera with two to three lenses with a wide range of power from wide angle to as powerful of lense as I can get (or one multipurpose Lense).

I have a Pentax 35 mm camera with two Pentax lenses a 28-80 mm f 3.5 & an 80-320 mm f 4.5 & I am not sure whether or not to utilize these two lenses .

I have heard a that Nikon has the best quality lenses that come with the camera, then Pentax & third Canon – what is your opinion ?

At the moment I have a Canon Powershot S5 IS .

I was wondering which were the best two or three makes for the beginner or intermediate photographer ?

Which lenses would be the most versatile and most widely used ?

Which of the flashes (with a hot-shoe) would be the best all round one ?

I am also thinking of purchasing a multiplyer, although it may not be used that much. Is there any one in particular that is better ?

I could also ask you which of the stock photography website's / companies are better and can make a person some money.

Thank you very much Craig
  • 09-02-2007, 10:38 AM
    Kevse1961
    Re: Questions from someone new to DSLR's
    Hi Craig. I have taken stock fotos with a Pentax K10D using 2 lenses the 1st an 18-55 which come with the kit and I also used for macro work the Tamron 70-300 with built in Macro, you obviously have to stand back using the tripod but it gives great pictures and clarity. I don't know where abouts you are but In Spain Pentax is a very bad seller and you can buy a new K10D for about 400 Euros with the 18-55 lens, can't help out on the other points you mentiones but thought I would pass over my viwe. All the best. Kevin
  • 09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
    fx101
    First off, we need to know your budget. For the moment I'll assume $9500, as this is an average budget for the size of the kit you are looking for (less lenses=cheaper). As far as cameras you can go for the Nikon D80 or the Pentax K10D. I bought the D80 because it feels very solid and has an incredible feature load and unbelievable image quality. From here I bought the 18-200mm lens. Guess what? It is a wide angle, mid range, and telephoto lens all in one. It has vibration reduction, and is the only huge range lens I have seen with impecable image quality. That will set you back $700. The 18-200 is my favorite lens of all time, and you will almost never need to swap lenses again. As for flashes the Nikon SB-600 is what I use. It costs 180 dollars and is quite good for what I use it for. You can purchase the top of the line SB-800 but that's 300 bucks and not worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps. I don't know much about stock sites though.
  • 09-30-2007, 11:48 AM
    fx101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fx101
    First off, we need to know your budget. For the moment I'll assume $9500, as this is an average budget for the size of the kit you are looking for (less lenses=cheaper). As far as cameras you can go for the Nikon D80 or the Pentax K10D. I bought the D80 because it feels very solid and has an incredible feature load and unbelievable image quality. From here I bought the 18-200mm lens. Guess what? It is a wide angle, mid range, and telephoto lens all in one. It has vibration reduction, and is the only huge range lens I have seen with impecable image quality. That will set you back $700. The 18-200 is my favorite lens of all time, and you will almost never need to swap lenses again. As for flashes the Nikon SB-600 is what I use. It costs 180 dollars and is quite good for what I use it for. You can purchase the top of the line SB-800 but that's 300 bucks and not worth it in my opinion. Hope this helps. I don't know much about stock sites though.

Doh!:mad2: I meant 1500 not 9500. 9500 would buy you A LOT more than that.