Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Photoshop CS won't use Camera RAW plug-in after installing Nikon PictureProject

This week my Nikon D70 arrived (yipee!!). I installed the Adobe Camera RAW 2.2 update to go with Photoshop CS. I shot a few with my camera in RAW fromat, copied them to the HD, and opened them up in Photoshop CS, no problem.

However, I wanted to see what the Nikon software was all about, so I installed PictureProject and the Capture trial. (Neither seem to suit my needs better than Photoshop.) After installing the Nikon software, when I try to open a RAW file in PS CS, it will ONLY use the Nikon RAW conversion instead of using the Adobe Camera RAW plug-in. The Nikon one has only a couple of adjustment options and I like the Adobe one better.

Is there any way to force Photoshop to use the Adobe RAW plug-in instead of the Nikon RAW utility?

To make matters worse, when I uninstall the Nikon software, it introduces an error when starting PS CS: This application has failed to start because NEFLibrary3PS.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. This appears during Plug-ins initialization, so my guess is that Nikon did not properly script their uninstall to inform Photoshop not to look for their NEF converter.

I'm entering this in the Digital SLRs forum because
    1) It has to do with a kink in my workflow
    2) I'm hoping that someone with advanced Nikon and Photoshop experience might have seen and overcome the problem.

My apologies if this is off-topic, and I'd appreciate any help the administrator might offer in directing it to the right place if need be.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can render.

Best regards,
    James

Why not just reinstall CS after removing the Nikon stuff?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

I forgot to mention that I tried that. Even after uninstalling both and re-installing CS, the same error occurs, though I can at that point use the Adobe RAW filter. Yours is a good suggestion in any case. I guess I may have to learn to live with the error message until my next OS rebuild. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by awkwards
    I forgot to mention that I tried that. Even after uninstalling both and re-installing CS, the same error occurs, though I can at that point use the Adobe RAW filter. Yours is a good suggestion in any case. I guess I may have to learn to live with the error message until my next OS rebuild. Thanks!
    Hit ctrl-alt-shift right after PS starts loading and answer yes when it asks if you want to trash the preferences file.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Just tried this, but still no go.
    Thanks again.

More info:

I tired reinstalling and uninstalling Nikon PictureProject again, but this time I told the uninstaller NOT to remove PP's shared DLLs. Well, that got rid of the error message, but now Photoshop CS STILL uses the Nikon NEF converter even though PictureProject is uninstalled!

Somehow I need to tell Photoshop not to use the Nikon DLLs and to use Adobe Raw instead.

Most frustrating!

James

Talking Problem Solved!

I scoured my Plug-Ins directory:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats

and discovered:

Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi

I REMOVED this plug-in and problem is solved. Apparently Nikon did not see the need (or forgot) to script removal of this plug-in in their PictureProject uninstaller. What threw me off was the fact that they'd installed it in the "Photoshop Only" directory instead of the higher level File Formats directory, which is where I keep my Adobe Raw plugin.

Thank you, Sebastian, for your suggestions. It was great to learn about the "delete preferences" option.

Hopefully anyone else who's had this problem will see this thread.

Best regards,

James

For the same reason I even stared my own RAW FAQ:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_faq/essay.html

Uwe
    www.outbackphoto.com
    www.colors-by-nature.com

Thank you, Uwe.

I had Googled this topic and couldn't turn anything up, but it's good to know I wasn't alone. I was starting to feel silly.

James

James have you thought about looking at capture one dslr for raw conversion as an alternative to PS. http://www.c1dslr.com is the link, I have posted about this software before in other threads.

>I was starting to feel silly.

No, Nikon kind of is. I think they should at least inform or even better ask the user for this change.

Uwe
    www.outbackphoto.com
    www.colors-by-nature.com

I'll check it out, Peter. Thanks!--James

Re: Photoshop CS won't use Camera RAW plug-in after installing Nikon PictureProject

Thank you for saving me hours of time trying to figure it out. Your Posting is going to be widely searched. I found it from Google. Yes there are many folks running Photoshop and Nikon Picture project that have had their plugin hijacked!

I removed the file you mentioned and all is back to normal.

THANK YOU!!!!

Ghost

Re: Photoshop CS won't use Camera RAW plug-in after installing Nikon PictureProject

James, thanks so much for taking the time to come back and post your solution. There are many people here that will apreciate your extra effort in the months to come. Cheers to you!

Thumbs up Re: Photoshop CS won't use Camera RAW plug-in after installing Nikon PictureProject

James, you not only saved me hours of work (I lost Camera RAW once before and had to reinstall Photoshop CS on both of my machines), but also introduced me to this great fourm! I registered, using the time you saved me. Thanks again!

Re: Problem Solved!

James,

THANKS!!!!!!!!

The same happened to me and I was going crazy. I just did what you said here and PRESTO! that annoyng NKNEFPLUGIN.DLL error was Gone, Finito, Kapute!!!

Thanks again!!

Raamses.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwards
    I scoured my Plug-Ins directory:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats

and discovered:

Nikon NEF Plugin LE.8bi

I REMOVED this plug-in and problem is solved. Apparently Nikon did not see the need (or forgot) to script removal of this plug-in in their PictureProject uninstaller. What threw me off was the fact that they'd installed it in the "Photoshop Only" directory instead of the higher level File Formats directory, which is where I keep my Adobe Raw plugin.

Thank you, Sebastian, for your suggestions. It was great to learn about the "delete preferences" option.

Hopefully anyone else who's had this problem will see this thread.

Best regards,

James

Hi,

Just regestered to say thanks!!

I put on Picture Project after using Nikon View, and I thought it was a terrible bit of software, it was stupidly slow and ram greedy, fiddly to use and lacking in features. I was pretty shocked that they should release such shoddy software. But I suppose a camera with so many features for such a low price had to skimp somewhere, and I would rather that be the software than the camera I suppose.

But I have been having the same problem with photoshop, found this through google - has sorted the problem. Great!

Thanks again,

Nick

Re: use the regsweeper util in utilities folder after uninstall

just spoke to nikon tech

how to eradicate leftovers in registry after uninstall

in the utilities folder on cd there is a program regsweeper

in any of these programs nkview /nkscan /nkcapture theres a utilities folder
    dont launch from cd
    copy util folder to desktop
    open folder dbl click on regsweeper

run it

im hoping this works
    i uninstalled picture project

going to use nikon view after regsweep

Wow googled and ended up here. thanks for the advice. My problem is that it keeps giving me a double whammy. I did as you said and viola! one whammy is gone but the other is still coming up. anyone have any other ideas for that nasty NKNEFPLUGIN.DLL ERROR!

hi
    i had a hell of a time getting nikon out

had to reinstall photoshop

did you go to adobe photoshop plug ins and remove the 2 nikon plugs
    1 for raw the other ycc tiff

did you run regsweeper from nikon
    you need to copy txt file has reg entries index

good luck
    i later tried raw shooter
    my machine is standalone
    program kept trying to web register

oy

I had the same problem and I had already formatted and reinstalled windows (not the entire drive, just my windows partition) so I was super confused. After reading the posts here (and still being the cautious person that I am) I isolated that nikon file in a folder called "Nikon NEF plugin isolated". For some reason this didn't work and I was Obsessed looking for another solution. After I deleted my isolation folder the problem went away.

BTW i'm using photoshop 7 on the computer in question

Thanks for your help

Bob

Thanks thanks thanks, it works!

Unhappy Re: Photoshop CS won't use Camera RAW plug-in after installing Nikon PictureProject

All hail Lord James! I was :mad2: and now I'm :thumbsup: . Thank you so much for posting such a clear and simple solution.

thanks for the info. amazing info from 3 years ago is still solving problems.

YOU DA MAN!!!!!

thanks from another webfoot

my friend builds machines

at my suggestion
    were using an uninstall utility right after installing winxp
    hoping to forego other uninstall torture

these nikon program removal problems are :mad2: absurd

i recently removed corel paintshop and corel photopaint
    i found myself in the registry search

so much leftover crap:cryin:

easy:thumbsup:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information