Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Ok now I'm thinking too much...

OK i posted earlier this week on chosing a new lens for my D40. I noticed how much more affordable the choices are for cameras that have the built in motor. And then I read the other recent post about dust inside the refurb lens.. This got me thinking...

I did a little looking on ebay and I could easily get $350 for my d40 kit. I was planning to spend $200 on an additional lens and have been trying to make the best choice and am going in circles

I really like my d40, so the d50 was my first choice on where to start - comparing side by side,the larger lcd would be the only downgrades might be something i'd miss initially. The 3200 iso is something i do use occasionally, but not often as I'm not crazy about the grain.

I could get a prime lens with larger apeture, and a good VR zoom and a used or refurb d50 body for the $550 budget...

:idea: or I could go a completely different direction... oh so confused!!

Re: Ok now I'm thinking too much...

Ok.. I posted on facebook that I was thinking of selling my d40 plus all accesories for
    $400.. . Ive already gotten a half dozen emails from friends interested in buying it. So now my budget is $600.. yee haw..

So what are you thinking of buying now? And is the $600 budget for just a lens or a lens and a new body?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

lens and a body.. I was originally looking at a $200 zoom for the d40. I realized that with the larger selection for the body's that have motors, comes a lower price tag as well. While I havent "outgrown" the D40 itself, I can see that happening down the road. Getting something different, say a d50 and a couple good starter lenses now, makes more sense for building on long term. I chose d50 as a starting point because it is most similar to what I already have, but I could go any direction really.

ok thinking even more.. somebody stop me!! I am considering getting the ebay credit card for 90 days no payments or interest and getting a D90 or D5000 and .. I could pay the $200 my husband is expecting, sell d40 and then put some other random things on ebay to pay the difference and have it paid for within the 90 days AND my husband will never notice...

Some other stores offer 90 days with billmelater which is what i used to buy the d40 and a laptop last year. But, Im finding some way better prices on ebay right now.

Please be aware that I am not condoning shopping on credit! I won't pay interest on anything but my house. What I am condoning is hiding purchases from husbands... ;)

With all that said, I'm leaning toward Nikon because I like my d40 but want more options when it comes time to upgrade add to etc down the road. I'd be happy to consider other manufacturers as well. Thinking long term, quality for the $, resale, variety etc.. would you say Canon or another maker is a better choice?
    Last edited by chocolic; 06-07-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by chocolic
    OK i posted earlier this week on chosing a new lens for my D40. I noticed how much more affordable the choices are for cameras that have the built in motor. And then I read the other recent post about dust inside the refurb lens.. This got me thinking...

I did a little looking on ebay and I could easily get $350 for my d40 kit. I was planning to spend $200 on an additional lens and have been trying to make the best choice and am going in circles

I really like my d40, so the d50 was my first choice on where to start - comparing side by side,the larger lcd would be the only downgrades might be something i'd miss initially. The 3200 iso is something i do use occasionally, but not often as I'm not crazy about the grain.

I could get a prime lens with larger apeture, and a good VR zoom and a used or refurb d50 body for the $550 budget...

:idea: or I could go a completely different direction... oh so confused!!
    Don't get the D50. This is an older camera than the D40. It has the same sensor but an older image processor. It is a nice camera and has a number of features that the D40 doesn't but I wouldn't call it an upgrade.

You should be looking at the following cameras:

D60 = same body as the D40 with 10Mpix sensor, latest image processor, dust removal system
    D90 = Latest sensor (12MPix), latest image processor, full-featured body for the advanced amateur, video
    D5000 = evolution of the lightweight D60 body with many features from the D90 (focussing, sensor, video..)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Don't get the D50. This is an older camera than the D40. It has the same sensor but an older image processor. It is a nice camera and has a number of features that the D40 doesn't but I wouldn't call it an upgrade.

You should be looking at the following cameras:

D60 = same body as the D40 with 10Mpix sensor, latest image processor, dust removal system
    D90 = Latest sensor (12MPix), latest image processor, full-featured body for the advanced amateur, video
    D5000 = evolution of the lightweight D60 body with many features from the D90 (focussing, sensor, video..)
    Yeah I agree on the d50 after some thinking... I decided against the d60 too because my reason for moving away from the d40 is the lens issue.

comparing the d90 and d5000 they both look amazing compared to my d40 and I'd be thrilled with either one, but the d90 is coming in a little cheaper right now since its a little "older" but IMO a better choice than the 5000 anyway!

Thanks!!
    Jodie

Quote Originally Posted by chocolic
    ..I decided against the d60 too because my reason for moving away from the d40 is the lens issue.

Thanks!!
    By "lens issue" you mean the lack of autofocus with older, non-AF-S lenses? The D5000 is exactly the same as the D40/D60 in this respect.

I guess that Nikon figures anyone who is going to want to use older lenses is at least an expert amateur and will go for the D90. However a lot of low-end users are interested in the 50mm f1.8 which isn't AF-S. So Nikon just introduced the 35mm f1.8 AF-S which is almost the same price and will focus on the D60 etc. The problem is in finding a 35mm f1.8 - they have been swamped with orders.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

You may also consider a lightly used or better yet refurbished D80 which will auto-focus with the non afs lenses
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I've been thinking about this a bit and I think you should slow down a little and think about what you really need. You started out wanting a better lens and a better lens is still your best value. Regardless of what's available now, your D40 is a very good camera with solid image quality. There is the AF-S lens issue, but I think that may be a bit of a distraction. The question is - what do you need now? I think the answer is - a new lens. So just use your money to buy a better new lens. Unless you want to buy a non-AF-S lens, then there's no problem with your D40 right now. It's not getting in the way. So use it until it does.
    Photo-John

Thanks for all your help everyone. John your right it is so easy to get distracted by all the shiny things! I had my eye on a few ebay auctions and just couldn't pull the trigger on the d90 - its just more than I want to spend right now. I ended up getting a used d80 that is "less used" than my d40 plus a 18-135 lens which will be sufficient until I can save up for the Nikon 18-200VR, which is the lens I keep coming back to.

I've already found a buyer for my d40. My original budget for a lens was $200, and I came it a $240 spent when its all said and done. I think I made a pretty good upgrade in camera body for $40. I've got a pile of things to put on ebay, and will save up until I have enough for the Nikon 18-200VR - hopefully within the next few months!!

I dug out my old textbooks and plan to reteach myself some things I've forgotten. I made some pretty exciting images poking a hole in an oatmeal canister back in the day, so I'm sure with a refresher, I can do some great things with what the budget allows!

Thanks again!!
    Jodie

Maybe you should have traded in your D40 for a Quaker Oats camera. Then you could take all kinds of blurry pictures and call yourself an artist ;)

It easy to get distracted. I understand. I think you did fine. Let me suggest you consider saving up for a 70-200 instead of the 18-200 VR, since you have the 18-135 now. The Nikon 70-200mm lenses are worlds apart from the 18-200. The 18-200 VR is a great all-purpose carry-around lens. But the 70-200 is pro glass. That's really worth saving and waiting for.
    Photo-John

Thanks - that is very nice lens. At a glance it is so hard for me to think about that kind of money, but I'm sure it will be worth it. Last year I saved $300 over a few months without much effort. When I passed over a drive thru I'd put that cash away when I got home. Occasionally when I'd shop, I'd get $5 cash back and forget I had it. My husband never knew, and I paid for an amazing surprise birthday party for him that way. I can do the same for this lens, and can speed up the process by selling some things on ebay. Maybe by Christmas?? We'll see!!
    Jodie

Update: I got my d80 today. I got it used on ebay and it might as well be brand new - it looks like its hardly been touched and there are only 1800 actuations on it. My d40 had nearly 9000. I'm thrilled. And my friend that bought the d40 is super excited to have it. Very good trade! thanks everyone for your advice and help!
    Jodie

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

D80s RULE! Happy shooting and if you want to trade it for one that has a lot more experience, just let me know.

Stick around, post some pics, join in the knowledge exchange.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information