Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Help - Nikon D40x or D60 for +$120

Hi,
    I had a Nikon D40x that had to be returned for refund because there were no replacements. Now my store has both a D40x and a D60 with a price difference of $120. I am using a Nikon DX lens 18-135 and I had been very happy with the D40x. I guess my question is...are the modest upgrades of the D60 worth $120?
    Thanks for your input!

Re: Help - Nikon D40x or D60 for +$120

I wouldn't have the D40x in my pool of cameras. I did buy the D60 and I'm satisfied with it. Here are the differences that make the D60 worth having (for me anyway)::

- efficient anti-dust system. If you only have one lens and you never take the lens off the camera then you can do without it. Otherwise dust is a nuisance which always arrives on the sensor at the wrong moment
    - latest EXSPEED processor. It works wonders with the 10Mpix sensor (which I also have in my D200 with the older processor). 3200 ISO is fully usable
    - Active D-lighting. I don't have to have this because I can get the same effect by treating my RAW files but if you just shoot JPG's it's just what you need for contrasty light
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Check out dpreview dot com .they have a side by side comparison that is really nice. You can then see what the differences are and see if it is worth it to YOU or not. $120 is a decent chunk of change that you may want to save for something else if its going to buy features you wont use anyway.
    Jodie

Thread Information