Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon DX lenses...what's the deal??

I just ordered the new nkon D70s...so excited but I am having some trouble picking my first lenses.

I wanted to go with the kit lens (18-70), the 70-300ED lens, and then a 50mm. I thought that would be a nice fun range to start with.

My question is about the dx lenses...what's the deal with them? the kit lens is a dx while the 70-300 is just a normal lens.

the new 18-55 and 55-200 ARE dx lenses. Would they be a better bet?

Thanks!

Re: Nikon DX lenses...what's the deal??

DX lenses are designed to only work on a digital SLR. The sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film (a negative) so DX lenses don't have to cover that whole area. There's no problem using non-DX lenses on a DSLR, the only problem is using DX lenses on a film camera - the image won't cover the full frame of the film (known as vignetting). The advantage (from what I can tell) is that this way lenses can be built smaller and lighter - and it makes some lenses even possible (like the 12-24 DX, that one would be huge if it worked with 35mm).

I hear the D70 kit lens is tough to beat, it would be a good first lens. The other two are good choices too.

Imho

Quote Originally Posted by dreborn
    I just ordered the new nkon D70s...so excited but I am having some trouble picking my first lenses.

I wanted to go with the kit lens (18-70), the 70-300ED lens, and then a 50mm. I thought that would be a nice fun range to start with.

My question is about the dx lenses...what's the deal with them? the kit lens is a dx while the 70-300 is just a normal lens.

the new 18-55 and 55-200 ARE dx lenses. Would they be a better bet?

Thanks!
    Personally I would go for the 18-70 kit lens and the 55-200 DX lens. This gives you the equivalent (in film terms) of a 28-105 and a 70-300 - a classic combination. If you were shooting film then the 50mm f1.8 would be useful for low light, but in digital you can boost the ISO setting so I don't think it's so important.

Charles

Re: Nikon DX lenses...what's the deal??

To add to all that the others have discussed, the 50mm lens on the D70 will not work like a 50mm on a 35mm film SLR. This is due to the "The sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film" that Another View mentions (This is also known as "crop-factor"). For the D70, a 34mm lens will be more like a 50mm on film. I apologize if you already knew all this.

My suggestion (unless you are getting a great deal on all the lenses) is to get the 18 -70 kit lens and learn the camera. Pickup the other lenses latter because you'll know more of what you need.

Good luck,
    Tim
    (who is waiting for the feedback on the 50-200DX before buying a longer zoom)
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information