Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon D40 problems

I was taking pictures this morning outside. I came in and tried to do some inside and the D40 started acting weird. It was a little darker so the flash came out but it wasnt letting me take pictures. It would focus but the button wouldnt do anything else. I walked over to the door and took an outside pic with no problem. All this was in AUTO mode. When it finally stared working inside I would push the button and it would flash and a second or two would go by before the picture would snap.

I went into the menu and started looking at settings and one of the last things I changed was "Info display format" to CLASSIC. Now the display doesnt work at all. I cant bring up the menu or see anything. It still takes pictures but the display does nothing.

I took the battery out and back in, yes its fully charged. I tried the reset button and nothing... I also tried holding the "info and zoom in button" down for over 2 seconds and nothing......

Now when I turn the D40 on I cant even do anything (like take pics) till I hit the "OK" button first.

What is going on..................

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Nikon D40 problems

I don't know and maybe some of our more expert people will but it sounds like a trip to Nikon to me.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

You may end up having to send your camera to the repair shop as Frog suggested but if it were me I would give your question several days here to see if you get an answer. I believe it can be fixed by camera adjustments. You can turn off the screen and that is probably the answer to that problem and correcting the settings will fix that. After that problem is fixed then you will be able to see the screen to work on the others. I don't know much about the D40 but if you leave it a few days where others can get around to looking at your question you just may get a simple answer. My suggestion is to "Be Patient Grasshopper" and see what we can come up with.

If you do not find an answer, I live in Ocean Springs, Ms. between Pascagoula and Biloxi. If you may be coming this way some time I would be glad to meet with you and see if we can figure it out, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks so far guys.........

Thread Information