Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

new Nikon D40 or used D70?

I have $400-$500 to spend. I can get either. This will be my first dSLR but I have been using a Cannon AE1 (25 years) and an Elan 7e (6 years). I prefer the AE1 because it is easier to control, meter etc without all of the auto stuff. I don't really need much in the way of auto settings but using auto for quick family stuff would be great too.
    Also, I'm not making a poster so unless you really feel that the difference between 6.1 and 10 mpx is worth it, I am more concerned about the other features.
    Thanks...

Re: new Nikon D40 or used D70?

Quote Originally Posted by googoomuck
    I have $400-$500 to spend. I can get either. This will be my first dSLR but I have been using a Cannon AE1 (25 years) and an Elan 7e (6 years). I prefer the AE1 because it is easier to control, meter etc without all of the auto stuff. I don't really need much in the way of auto settings but using auto for quick family stuff would be great too.
    Also, I'm not making a poster so unless you really feel that the difference between 6.1 and 10 mpx is worth it, I am more concerned about the other features.
    Thanks...
    Do you mean the D40 (6Mpix) or the D40X (10Mpix)? Let's assume you mean the D40. 6Mpix is enough to make an A3 print which is the largest I can go.

The D40 has the same sensor as the D70 but the D40 has a much more advanced image processor so there is less noise. Plus the original D70 had a tendency to underexpose by 1/2 stop to preserve the highlights. Advantage D40.

I really think you underestimate the usefulness of auto-everything. Digital cameras are rather like slide film, you have to get the exposure right. However if you're really serious about setting shutter speed and aperture yourself then be aware that aperture rings and shutter speed dials are history. You use the knurled wheels on the right hand side of the camera. The D70 has one wheel for aperture and one for shutter speed but the D40 has only one so you have to push a button and turn the wheel to set the other. Huge advantage to the D70.

Lenses, very important part of the package. The D40 comes with a mostly plastic 18-55 which is a very decent performer. The D70 comes with the 18-70 which is mostly metal and is really excellent. Advantage D70. (Make sure the D70 comes with the 18-70 and that the lens is in good condition).
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

If I'm not mistaken, the D40 isn't compatible with all of the lenses right?
    Nikon D80 - 18-200mm VR & 85mm f/1.8 lens

Do you mean the D40 (6Mpix) or the D40X (10Mpix)? Let's assume you mean the D40

Im sorry, I am looking at the D40x (with the plastic 18-55)

Thanks

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Yes it is not compatible with all the lenses. The older lenses won't auto focus...must be afs lenses to autofocus.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

I have the D60 which is a D40x with a sensor shaker dust remover (well worth while if you have multiple lenses). I gave the D70 to my sister - I have the D300 and D200 as well and 4 DSLR's were too much.

I have the impression that a lot of D40/D40x/D60 users are dissatisfied with the camera because of the lightweight feel of the 18-55 (which I don't have). I use it with the 16-85 or the 35mm f1.8 and I like it.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

I would go with the D70, unless you have a particular inclination towards higher ISO shooting.

But, I don't know why you've excluded all other brands from your options, you are starting off fresh, right? Why not look into Canon, Sony, Pentax and Olympus? They may very well have the better system for your needs.

I use both a 6 and a 12 mpix camera, the 12 mpix images require a longer and more carefully controlled workflow. They do also, however, provide me with much better cropping leverage, which is a significant advantage. A 6MPix image on its own is plenty, but you have very little room to crop.

The D40x is 10 megapixel. Some say the D40 is the better camera. I parted with the kit lens and the 55-200 mm Nikkor lenses in favor of the Sigma 18-200 mm lens which i really like.

D60 is good choice under your budget.

Santacruz,
    www.DSLRCameraStore.com

Thread Information