Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: New to DSLR'S

New to DSLR'S

Hey guys whats goin on ? New to the camera world just bought a Nikon D40. What are some good upgradable lenses for it don't know much yet, I am into any type of motorsports so I will be posting pic later.Hope to hear from some people soon.

Thanks Dylan

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: New to DSLR'S

What lens do you have now?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II

Hope you don't mind that I moved your post to the DSLR forum. You might also take a look at the Nikon forum and our sports photography forum

What kind of budget do you have and what kind of motorsports do you want to shoot? If you've got the money, a pro 70-200mm lens is one of the first lenses pro action photographers invest in. But the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 will cost far, far more than your camera did. A compromise that will give you flexibility and get you closer to the action is the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens. I used it with the D40x and I am now using the Canon 18-200mm IS. You can't beat these lenses for all-purpose flexibility. They aren't cheap, but you'll definitely get a lot of use out them.

Here's a link to the review page for the Nikon - it's one of the most popular lenses on the site:

Nikon AF-S 18-200mm VR DX Zoom Lens User Reviews >>
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

This is what we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I'd like you to post your pics in the viewfinder forum...sort of our general photo talk room and many post their pics there to show what kind of pics they take.
    Once a year I shoot 4x4 pics for my son's club when they have a local poker run and I think others that are into 4 wheelin' would be interested.
    OH! And WELCOME to the forums! forgot to say that on your first post.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

The Sigma 50-200 OS HSM might be a greta lens for that.
    http://joergvetter.oyla.de/cgi-bin/hpm_homepage.cgi
    BR Atomino

Hey, I have a D40 as well! Welcome to the D40 club, you will love it. I have only 2 lenses right now- the Sigma 18mm-200mm, and the Nikkor 35mm 1.8. They cover ALL my needs.

Sigma: 18mm-200mm covers pretty much any situation. It’s a “walk around” lens, meaning you can throw it on the camera and walk around with it, without having to carry other lenses. Picture quality is good, but not great. It’s much better outside in bright sunlight than indoors with a flash. I paid about $450 for mine; they might be less expensive now. I consider it my “outdoor” lens. Nikon makes this lens as well; in fact, many people say the Nikon version is better, but it’s more expensive.

Nikkor 35mm: I *LOVE* this lens. It is a “normal” lens, meaning the picture you take is about the same as the view as you see with your eye. It is neither zoomed in (tele) or further away (wide). The color and clarity pops with this lens, some of my pictures almost look 3D they are so clear. It is also great in low light; you can use it indoors with no flash and still get great pictures. I can also use a much smaller flash (the SB-400) and get great pictures, because this lens soaks up light like a sponge. This is the lens I use if picture quality is important. I use it indoors, I don’t use the Sigma indoors anymore. It was $200 at Best Buy. The only thing to keep in mind is if you need your subject to be closer or further away, either you or the subject has to move. There is no zooming in or out. I consider this my “indoor” lens.

Your own needs will dictate what you need. I feel my needs are covered since I can take all my indoor pictures with the 35mm, and all my outdoor pictures with my Sigma. I’ve never needed more than 200mm to get a far away shot, but everyone has different needs.

Trust me, get the 35mm. I bet that after only a few pictures you’ll love it as much as I do. I take many more pictures now that I have that lens!
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Echo the enthusiasm for the 35mm lens. I would say that should come first and foremost.

Thread Information