Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Question About Nikon D3000???

I just got a Nikon D3000 from a friend who wanted a piece of Ham equipment I had. I have a question about the camera. When its on and im in auto mode why dont it show what im pointing at on the screen? It only shows the image on the screen after its taken? Is that because its a SLR camera? Do any SLR do what I talking about? I got this for free but still I dont know if I will like it.

Re: Question About Nikon D3000???

Quote Originally Posted by idle0095
    I just got a Nikon D3000 from a friend who wanted a piece of Ham equipment I had. I have a question about the camera. When its on and im in auto mode why dont it show what im pointing at on the screen? It only shows the image on the screen after its taken? Is that because its a SLR camera? Do any SLR do what I talking about? I got this for free but still I dont know if I will like it.
    Yes its because its a SLR. You view the scene through the viewfinder window via a mirror which also allows the camera's sophisticated focussing and auto-exposure mechanisms to work. When you press the shutter release the mirror flips out of the way and lets the camera sensor see the image. This is why the image only appears on the LCD after you've taken it, not before.

Some DSLR's have Live View, which is what you want. In most cases the mirror flips up so the sensor can display the image but this stops all the sophisticated auto-focus mechanisms from working and it becomes as slow and hesitant as a point-and-shoot.

I've never used Live View. I want to hold the camera up to my eye so it's stable, with a big clear image so that I can see what I'm shooting even in bright light, and I want the camera to focus and fire immediately.

The D3000 doesn't have Live View. If you don't like it then go back to a point-and-shoot.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

ya i dont like it at all and i would to have the live view. im gonna sell it and get the Canon - EOS Digital Rebel XS because it has live view.

This is just my opinion, but you might find that you prefer using a viewfinder vs. live view after you use the camera for awhile. Taking pictures with the viewfinder is a lot faster, you won't have as much lag. I have point and shoot cameras with live view as well, and that used to be all I used, but now that I have a SLR I prefer the viewfinder. It's all personal preference, of course, but try using the camera for a few days before you sell it!
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Thread Information