Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: New DSLR User

New DSLR User

I recently purchased a Digital Rebel XT. So far I have the lense it comes with, tameron telephoto (both lenses have UV filters), 1 battery, 1 CF card and a bag. What do you folks consider necessary accessories? I have done a little browsing online, but I have found since I don't know what I'm looking for browsing can be difficult. Thanks for the help!

-Jon

Ranter and raver.

Re: New DSLR User

I've found that the time to buy equipment is after getting into a situation where you need it. I know, it runs contrary to being prepared for anything, but there are few accessories (I can't think of any) the lack of which will make you completely miss a once-in-a-lifetime shot. However, if you go ou tand buy everything you could possibly ever use now, you end up with an empty wallet and a lot of junk.

I was going to suggest a good tripod and a wire release, but I have no idea if you ever do any long exposures. If you're not into night or landscape photography, those might be a complete waste.

So keep your eyes open for limitations. Do you see a picture you'd love to get if only you had a _______ ? Then get the _______ and next time you will have it.

Another one that is often suggested is a flash, but that's another one that will be absolutely necessary or useless depending on what and how you shoot. I went eight years without ever putting a flash on my film camera and have used the popup on my DSLR only a handful of times as fill flash.

So my suggestion is, well, nothing. Go take pictures. When you feel like you need something to get the type of shot you want, then go pick on up.

And enjoy.

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jon_206
    I recently purchased a Digital Rebel XT. So far I have the lense it comes with, tameron telephoto (both lenses have UV filters), 1 battery, 1 CF card and a bag. What do you folks consider necessary accessories? I have done a little browsing online, but I have found since I don't know what I'm looking for browsing can be difficult. Thanks for the help!

-Jon
    I would suggest trying to take photos without those UV filters unless they are top quality (as in lots of money). That alone might make a big difference.

I would also invest in lens hoods. Other than that, as already stated, wait until you see what you actually need. Go out and take photos, leave the shopping for another day!
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

You have just been beneficiary of better advice, from two consecutive posters, than I have seen given a newbie in a really long time. Don't buy a thing until you find a circumstance that requires something you don't have--and after you determine that it is a circumstance that is likely to recur.

The only place I would differ is in the tripod. The advice I have had from successful, experienced professionals is: "Always use a tripod if you can. Your pictures will almost certainly be better."

Absolutely dump the UV filters unless you are shooting in salt spray or blowing dust. Any other time, you are just putting a piece of cheap glass (unless you really did buy expensive filters) in front of your fine lens. And do get a lens hood. Your Tamron probably came with one, but you'll have to buy one for your kit lens.

Finally, learn to spell the things you talk about, and capitalize proper names. You'll still be Newbie, but at least you'll sound like an intelligent person. That thing attached to the front of your camera is a lens. Not a lense. Look at your camera manual, if you don't believe me. The second lens you bought is a Tamron. Not a tameron. At least that's what I think. If it really is a tameron, you have been taken big time!

Liz

Welcome to the DSLR World!

You got a great camera! I have the same - and love it. You will experience a learning curve, and please come here for any advice, suggestions and/or questions answered.

I would agree with the others about not buying until you need something. However, if I were you I might consider a couple of things. Did you mean by "1 battery" that it's the one that came with the camera, or an extra one? You should have 2 batteries which is plenty. What size is your CF card? If it's 256 or above, that should do you for a while, but if it's less than 256, I would get another one - either a 256 or 512.

I also agree that you don't need the UV filters. Just be careful with your lens which will become 2nd nature very shortly. The UV filters IMHO don't help - and they do affect the quality of the image.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. If you just want to show us your first pictures without asking for a critique - or help, than you can post them in Viewfinder. It's like our living room. If you're looking for help or advice on how to improve the picture, then post on the Critique Forum.

Enjoy your new camera - you will love it. Remember there is a LOT to learn when you're a first time user of a DSLR.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by jon_206

-Jon

An enthusiastic amateur.

Michale Fanelli: I've read your posts and enjoy them. Question:

Why would I need a lens hood? I've got a brand new Nikon D70s (kit w/ 18-70 Nikkor) that I'm taking on a big vacation in a couple days, and I was going to leave the lens hood. Maybe I'll bring it with me now? What purpose does it serve? Thanks!

Re: Welcome to the DSLR World!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    You got a great camera! I have the same - and love it. You will experience a learning curve, and please come here for any advice, suggestions and/or questions answered.

I would agree with the others about not buying until you need something. However, if I were you I might consider a couple of things. Did you mean by "1 battery" that it's the one that came with the camera, or an extra one? You should have 2 batteries which is plenty. What size is your CF card? If it's 256 or above, that should do you for a while, but if it's less than 256, I would get another one - either a 256 or 512.

I also agree that you don't need the UV filters. Just be careful with your lens which will become 2nd nature very shortly. The UV filters IMHO don't help - and they do affect the quality of the image.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. If you just want to show us your first pictures without asking for a critique - or help, than you can post them in Viewfinder. It's like our living room. If you're looking for help or advice on how to improve the picture, then post on the Critique Forum.

Enjoy your new camera - you will love it. Remember there is a LOT to learn when you're a first time user of a DSLR.

Liz

Thanks for the replies (minus the grammer advice) I have a 512 flash card, 1 battery period and I forgot to list I already have a tripod I got for my last camara (point and shoot) I will try pics w/o the uv filters, they were suggested to me by someone just to protect the lens. I will look around for a lens hood, I assume thats for shade? Any other suggestions are more then welcome. Thanks for the help.

Liz

Re: Welcome to the DSLR World!

I will look around for a lens hood, I assume thats for shade

prevents glare - over exposed pics

I would get another battery too.

Enjoy!

Liz

Ranter and raver.

Quote Originally Posted by wburychka
    Finally, learn to spell the things you talk about, and capitalize proper names. You'll still be Newbie, but at least you'll sound like an intelligent person. That thing attached to the front of your camera is a lens. Not a lense. Look at your camera manual, if you don't believe me. The second lens you bought is a Tamron. Not a tameron. At least that's what I think. If it really is a tameron, you have been taken big time!
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lense

And "newbie" should be lowcase, as you are calling him "a newbie" not simply "newbie." It is like the difference between "a dad" and "Dad."

No, I don't pretent to be an expert. That is why I don't expect others to be either.

Anyway, off of that sour note. Yes, a lens hood is for shade, in a way. It helts to reduce or eliminate glare, flare, and other fun stuff.

And now I will resist the urge to spell check an post that does not need to be perfect to be understood.

Thread Information