Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Help with a DSLR purchase/research

This here is my first post. I've been a participant on MTBR for a long time, but as I get more and more interested in Photography, I found myself coming here an' lurking more. I'm getting to the point where the standard digi point/shoot's just aren't cutting it for what I think I can do with a camera. So I've started looking at DSLR's. Things down the road may let me afford one of these sooner than I thought, so I thought I'd ask in here what the real differences will be for me.

Firstly, I'm an amature at best, with an occasional "Damn! I took that?" shot. I'm looking to get better though, and think that a bit more of a sophisticated camera can help me get there. The systems I'm looking are the current fav of the Nikon D70, and the Canon 300d/Rebel. I like the prices I'm finding of the Rebel better, but what would I be giving up from the D70? Durability? Photo quality? Ease of use? I'll be using it in woody/dirty situations, though I won't be draggin it through muck and such, it just won't be in pristine evirons. One of the keys for me at least, in going DSLR are more manual controls. I'm kinda tired of having only a few options, y'know?

And finally a few shots I think are ok. All on the same day too. Was feeling 'on' I guess. Taken w/a crappy Sony DSC-P92.

Edit: ok after some more searching I've found the Pentax *ist DS as well. Similar price range, but very few reviews. I like the smaller size as I'll be carrying this in my pack. Thanks folks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with a DSLR purchase/research-kosass.jpg   Help with a DSLR purchase/research-carlsblur.jpg   Help with a DSLR purchase/research-trailcurve.jpg  
    Last edited by martini; 12-22-2004 at 08:28 AM. Reason: more info...

Greeeeen!

Nice green blur in those photos. I like them. And don't knock the compact cameras. They have their place. You just have to learn the rules and accept their limitations. Once you can do that, you can get great photos with them. The great thing about compacts is that there's no penalty for carrying them all them time. Digital SLRs can be painful to take on your bike. They definitely change the ride.

There are lots of factors in choosing a digital SLR. The first thing I would consider is the system you're buying into. Do you like the lenses, flash, and the direction the manufacturer is moving with their technology? The next thing I'd consider is the body. You can always upgrade the body, but once you've invested in some lenses it's harder to completely change systems.

The price of the Digital Rebel is definitely nice. But the D70 is a more capable camera. The main differences are the D70's 1/500th second flash sync and its ability to use continuous autofocus. The Digital Rebel has a flash sync speed of 1/200th of a second. And if you want to use continuous AF, you have to use the Sport Mode.

The Pentax *ist DS looks very nice. I did a pretty extensive test and review of the Pentax *ist D. I liked it especially because of the size. It was great for riding. The *ist DS is even smaller. The one thing that I'm not sure about is the AF. I'm pretty sure it has the same continuous AF issue as the Digital Rebel - you can only use continuous AF when you're in the sports mode.

If small is important, you should also check out the Olympus E-1 and E300. I've had a loaner E-1 for a while and that is a really, really nice system for biking. The E-1 is small and the zoom lenses kick ass. They're very small and ridiculously light for the focal lengths they deliver, and the glass quality is awesome.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Greeeeen!

Thanks PJ. I'm liking the looks of the Pentax *ist DS, I guess I l'll just ahve to wait a bit for durability ideas to come through. The hunt is most definitely still on.

I'm hoping to get my hands on the *ist DS in a couple of weeks. The Pentax *ist D felt much better than I expected it to. It didn't have the same flimsy, "plasticky" feel that the Digital Rebel has. Hopefully the *ist DS will be built to the same standards.

The Olympus also feels very durable. You should definitely give it a look.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Yeah, the Olympus is most definitely on the list now.

One thing I haven't really looked at are lenses. Need i be all that concerned about upgraditis? I'd buy the camera as a kit intially.

Re: Help with a DSLR purchase/research

Personally, I would go with the NIKON D70. Excellent camera,( Popular Photography Magazine camera of the year for 2004). This camera produces excellent quality photos and can be use as either a "point and shoot" or with more sophisticated user controls. Try it!! You'll like it."

Thread Information