Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Liz

M Fanelli/anyone-soft image ..me or XT?

I addressed this to Michael since he seemed to be able to "fix" a soft image below.

I'm getting mostly very soft images with the XT. My return policy is almost over and I need to determine if it's me or the camera. This was shot with the 50mm/1.4 lens. The barn, etc. with the 17-40 lens. Both lenses usually get very sharp pics.

I have the flu and can't get out to do any more testing because I feel sick. But I HAVE to make a decision about the camera. Thanks.

Liz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M Fanelli/anyone-soft image ..me or XT?-flowers.jpg   M Fanelli/anyone-soft image ..me or XT?-stockbbarn.jpg   M Fanelli/anyone-soft image ..me or XT?-inside.jpg  

Hard To Say

Liz-
    Do you still have your 300D? If so, you should do a comparison shot.

Have you checked the in-camera sharpening settings? Canon may have changed the defaults. I always use unsharp mask when I resize images from my 1D and 10D. They never look sharp at 100%, or after resizing. My opinion is, all digital SLR images require unsharp mask. If Canon changed the default settings, this may be more obvious with the XT than with your last camera.

Post a full-res image on the gallery and I'll be happy to take a look at it. I can't tell from the resized images you've posted, though. I need one of the originals.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

How do I post full-res image?

John,

The flowers may have needed the flash; however, the room was very bright with outside light and I was using the 50mm/f1.4. I think the aperture was 2.5.

I sold the 300D so can't compare. I do know that I never got soft images unless it was my fault whether on auto or manual or anything in between. I'll check the in-camera settings, but don't know what the 300D was set at. I also wondered if Canon changed the defaults.

Thanks.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Liz-

Have you checked the in-camera sharpening settings? Canon may have changed the defaults. I always use unsharp mask when I resize images from my 1D and 10D. They never look sharp at 100%, or after resizing. My opinion is, all digital SLR images require unsharp mask. If Canon changed the default settings, this may be more obvious with the XT than with your last camera.

Post a full-res image on the gallery and I'll be happy to take a look at it. I can't tell from the resized images you've posted, though. I need one of the originals.

Liz

Posted full res in Galleries

I posted two of the images in the galleries - in Critique and in My Gallery.

Liz

Liz-

Re: M Fanelli/anyone-soft image ..me or XT?

I'm not Michael but I'll give it a shot. PJ's right - digital images (from scanner or digital camera) are soft even if the focus is dead on, etc. Sharpening can be done in the camera and/or later in Photoshop. I took the liberty of running it thru Photoshop and giving it some Unsharp Mask - hope you don't mind but I gathered that this is what you were looking for.

These are levels I usually start with (compliments of Scott Kelby's book):
    Amount: 125
    Radius: 1.0
    Threshold: 3

That seems to do the trick to my eye. One thing though, some cameras can have problems with back focusing. Basically, this is a mis-alignment of what the camera thinks is in focus. It's going to be most obvious at wider apertures and shorter distances. Try shooting a ruler near the minimum focus distance of your 50 f1.8, and do it wide open. Focus right on a number and see if it's sharp, or a fraction one way or the other. Put the ruler pointing almost away from the camera so there's some distance involved (just not perpendicular to the camera). If this is the problem, you may want to exchange it - unless you never shoot that way (moderate distances and moderate apertures - say 10' at f8 - will have enough DOF that the problem will pretty much go away).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M Fanelli/anyone-soft image ..me or XT?-flowers.jpg  

Liz

Thanks Steve........

I'm grateful for any help I can get - and I never mind if the help includes editing the image - actually it's better seeing the results. This looks a lot better, plus the fact that I may have done better with the flash.

I printed out your suggestions and will do it in the morning.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I'm not Michael but I'll give it a shot. PJ's right - digital images (from scanner or digital camera) are soft even if the focus is dead on, etc. Sharpening can be done in the camera and/or later in Photoshop. I took the liberty of running it thru Photoshop and giving it some Unsharp Mask - hope you don't mind but I gathered that this is what you were looking for.

These are levels I usually start with (compliments of Scott Kelby's book):
    Amount: 125
    Radius: 1.0
    Threshold: 3

That seems to do the trick to my eye. One thing though, some cameras can have problems with back focusing. Basically, this is a mis-alignment of what the camera thinks is in focus. It's going to be most obvious at wider apertures and shorter distances. Try shooting a ruler near the minimum focus distance of your 50 f1.8, and do it wide open. Focus right on a number and see if it's sharp, or a fraction one way or the other. Put the ruler pointing almost away from the camera so there's some distance involved (just not perpendicular to the camera). If this is the problem, you may want to exchange it - unless you never shoot that way (moderate distances and moderate apertures - say 10' at f8 - will have enough DOF that the problem will pretty much go away).

Liz are you shotting in RAW mode, or are you shooting in Jpeg mode, or both.

If you are using a RAW image then they will be soft, you need to do post processing in other software like Photoshop. If you are shooting in Jpeg mode then you can adjust the in camera sharpening, contrast etc using the camera default settings in the menu to suit your tastes.

Personally I shoot exclusively (99%) RAW and use Capture One to post process the images to what I want, whether they be correctly adjusted or not. Last thing I do is unsharpen masking but I start with levels of 100%, 0.3, and 1 or 2 to start with, adjusting the middle one up to a max of 1 if necessary and the 100% up and down as necessary as well. It takes time to get used to unsharpen masking settings and finding out what you need.

Scott Kelby's books are quite good and worth getting hold of a copy or look in your local library you might find a copy or two on the Photoshop Subject there.

The other thing to think about as well, is your f/stop setting is going to give shallow depth of field as well and you might need to move this to f/5.6 or f/8 as well, best idea would be to use the 17-40 L lens and take the same image, lighting and just change the f/stops and then review the results up to f/16 maybe and see where the sweet spot is for that particular lens on your camera for you.

Also how are you focusing the lens, spot metering, partial metering, centre weighted metering, all things change images.

Sometimes I think I am focusing on a particular subject at a particular point and I discovered when reviewing Breezebrowser that the actual focusing point wasn't what I thought it was according to the point that showed up in an option of Breezebrowser.

It would be nice to have just one software that did the whole lot to see the image as you though you took it without having to look at the same image in different software all the time to get a full idea of the image capture.

Hope that all makes sense to you.

Get well soon by the way.

Liz

Cool Thanks Peter

It all makes sense.

are you shotting in RAW mode, or are you shooting in Jpeg mode, or both.
    jpeg

It takes time to get used to unsharpen masking settings and finding out what you need.

Yes, I'm not used to using this as with the Rebel 300D I used very little PS (Elements). I'm going to start using it though as I see what a difference it makes with Steve's editing.

Scott Kelby's books are quite good and worth getting hold of a copy or look in your local library you might find a copy or two on the Photoshop Subject there.

I have this book!

Also how are you focusing the lens, spot metering, partial metering, centre weighted metering, all things change images.

I think this may be the problem as I used the default, right out of the box settings which I think includes all the focus points.

Get well soon by the way.

Thanks so much Peter. Much appreciated! I have to make a decision whether or not to keep the camera by Friday (actually tomorrow). I want to be sure it's not front or back focusing - and I'm going to try what Steve suggested. I'm not great at this!

Liz

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I posted two of the images in the galleries - in Critique and in My Gallery.
    Liz-
    I think the camera is fine. In fact, I think the barn image looks really nice, with a bit of sharpening. I posted a complete answer here: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...php?photo=9640
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Liz

Talking Grateful and happy!

Thank you for taking the time to do this. You're right about looking at the images differently. I was anxious to try out the camera, took very few shots and didn't have time to play with the settings when I was away and then I got the flu.

I've also had a problem with my PSE2 software lately for some reason. I can't seem to get a full image on the screen and am having a very hard time viewing the larger images. I did purchase PSE3 and will install it this weekend.

I'm grateful for helping me out........thanks.

Liz

Liz-
    I think the camera is fine. In fact, I think the barn image looks really nice, with a bit of sharpening. I posted a complete answer here: http://gallery.photographyreview.com...php?photo=9640

Sitting in a Leaky Dingy Michael Fanelli's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    I addressed this to Michael since he seemed to be able to "fix" a soft image below.

I'm getting mostly very soft images with the XT. My return policy is almost over and I need to determine if it's me or the camera. This was shot with the 50mm/1.4 lens. The barn, etc. with the 17-40 lens. Both lenses usually get very sharp pics.

I have the flu and can't get out to do any more testing because I feel sick. But I HAVE to make a decision about the camera. Thanks.

Liz
    Sorry about the delay, I had some business to take care of that did not leave me a lot of time for a computer. It appears that you have gotten lots of answers from other helpful members, tell us what your final judgement is.
    "Every great decision creates ripples--like a huge boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound off the banks in unforseeable ways.

Liz

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. I'm keeping the camera. I have not had the opportunity to take it out for real tryouts - except what I had already done in a hurry - in auto "green" mode. Unfortunately because I didn't "take it easy" when I got sick, I still have some flu symptoms and one of them is NO energy.

The decision to keep the camera means I'm mostly relying on the fact that some pics I shot were good - and other's assessments of what I posted in VF & Critique Gallery, especially PJ's. I'm also relying on the fact that I've never had a "bad copy" of a Canon camera. Also, from what I've read, most people are very happy with the camera. Personally, I really like the camera. It's smaller, lighter weight - and for me even 4 ounces is a lot less to carry. The image quality is excellent.

I sold the Rebel and with my income tax return, it's just about covered. A friend is giving me the rest of the money as an early birthday present (65 in Sept - )

It's good to see you around more, Michael.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fanelli
    Sorry about the delay, I had some business to take care of that did not leave me a lot of time for a computer. It appears that you have gotten lots of answers from other helpful members, tell us what your final judgement is.

I wanted to pop in, say 'hi' Liz and wish you the best of luck with the Rebel XT. Sounds like a great camera for the money. I may even break down and trade one of my digi-cams for it.

I have been shooting bazillions of pictures, and haven't been around PR much. My smugmug site has over 10,000 pictures! Yikes!

Liz

Talking Hey there Stephen Lutz!!!! Glad to see you!

Every once in a while I see your name pop in here. Then you disappear again! I'm glad you said Hi. 10,000 pictures......wow.

I love the camera - just trying to find more time to play with it.

Anything else new? What camera are you using now?

Thanks for saying hello - come back and spend more time here - we miss you.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lutz
    I wanted to pop in, say 'hi' Liz and wish you the best of luck with the Rebel XT. Sounds like a great camera for the money. I may even break down and trade one of my digi-cams for it.

I have been shooting bazillions of pictures, and haven't been around PR much. My smugmug site has over 10,000 pictures! Yikes!

Re: Hey there Stephen Lutz!!!! Glad to see you!

Hi again Liz!

I have a Pro 1, a digital Rebel and a 10D. I've been busy, busy, busy with my fiancee and her two children! wooo hooo! I'm a step-daddy! We moved in together a couple of months ago and I'm deliriously happy!

Here's my fiancee, Porscha. Taken with a 10D, ISO 1600, and a 50 1.4 at 1.8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M Fanelli/anyone-soft image ..me or XT?-16279853-m.jpg  

Liz

Cool Wow!

Your life certainly has changed. I'm glad you're happy, Steve - and still doing what you love with photography. Your fiance' is a lucky person - as are the children. Life must be very different, but nice for you. Guess it's time to settle down......... ;)

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lutz
    Hi again Liz!

I have a Pro 1, a digital Rebel and a 10D. I've been busy, busy, busy with my fiancee and her two children! wooo hooo! I'm a step-daddy! We moved in together a couple of months ago and I'm deliriously happy!

Here's my fiancee, Porscha. Taken with a 10D, ISO 1600, and a 50 1.4 at 1.8

Thread Information