Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Lint between lenses acceptable?

Perhaps I'm just unlucky, but should I accept that a factory refurbished lens will have some flaw on or in the lens? I purchased a Nikon D60 (new) and a refurbished 18-105mm Nikon lens as a package deal on Amazon (but it was through one of the "good" dealers listed in this forum).

Now, the first lens I received had what I thought looked like a scratch on the outside of the lens, about one mm in length. I returned it after speaking with customer service at the dealer's and later received a phone call that it "wasn't a scratch", but a "blurb in the coating" on the lens. Something they normally would not expect to have returned. Well, to me a line that was slightly wider on one end looked just like a scratch & I didn't try taking photos with it. They sent a replacement anyways.

Today, I received the replacement and there is a filament of white lint, a tad more than one mm in length that is just about a quarter of an inch left & below the center of the front element of the lens - but it is underneath the glass. I snapped off a few photos & I don't see it - but I'm not sure how or where to look for it. It just bugs me to know it's there! Do I keep it? Are brand new lenses less prone to arriving without some flaw?

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Lint between lenses acceptable?

I wouldn't expect lint in a refurbished lens but I also would not have worried about a mark on the outside of one.
    You may want to try shooting toward a light source in fairly dark condition to see if there is reflection from the lint.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I wouldn't expect lint in a refurbished lens but I also would not have worried about a mark on the outside of one.
    You may want to try shooting toward a light source in fairly dark condition to see if there is reflection from the lint.

So, the missing coating ("a blurb" as the store called it) or marks on the outer part of the glass are not a concern? I can't help but think you didn't understand my post or else I was unclear.

I'll try shooting at a light source tonight and looking for reflections. I tried shooting at the clear section of sky and don't see any dark spots. I saw a bit of reflection on one shot, but it was too close to the sun I think. Thanks, Frog!

Ah! Yes I did misunderstand. I thought you meant on the body of the lens.
    Keep Shooting!

Well, here's 2 photos of the sky and 2 taken at night. There are orbs on all of these, but perhaps they are just the poor departed and not my lint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lint between lenses acceptable?-1.jpg   Lint between lenses acceptable?-2.jpg   Lint between lenses acceptable?-3.jpg   Lint between lenses acceptable?-4.jpg  

Looks like they might be reflections off the lint but I'd prefer someone with more expertise look at them.
    Keep Shooting!

Well I would certainly worry more about the lint than the scratch. The scratch is kind of a bummer, but if you paid a decent price I wouldn't have worried about it. The lint *could* matter, mostly depending on where - and between which elements. If its between certain elements that may be more problem than others. It is a particular problem if it is near the aperture diaphragm, if so return immediately regardless of any visible problems with the image.

The sky images look clean, can't see any problems my self, the small dot in the top center - can't tell if its a cloud or anything else, but looks most like a cloud. For the most part, the light should come around the lint without problem, so its doubtful you would notice it in an image. I would just be weary of where it could travel when using that zoom. If it gets near the diaphragm, that can be very bad news. It may just stay in the same spot, or it could travel quite a bit - totally depends on the construction of the lens - and I'm not familiar with that particular one.

hope that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Well I would certainly worry more about the lint than the scratch. The scratch is kind of a bummer, but if you paid a decent price I wouldn't have worried about it. The lint *could* matter, mostly depending on where - and between which elements. If its between certain elements that may be more problem than others. It is a particular problem if it is near the aperture diaphragm, if so return immediately regardless of any visible problems with the image.

The sky images look clean, can't see any problems my self, the small dot in the top center - can't tell if its a cloud or anything else, but looks most like a cloud. For the most part, the light should come around the lint without problem, so its doubtful you would notice it in an image. I would just be weary of where it could travel when using that zoom. If it gets near the diaphragm, that can be very bad news. It may just stay in the same spot, or it could travel quite a bit - totally depends on the construction of the lens - and I'm not familiar with that particular one.

hope that helped.
    Yes, in retrospect, I was better off with the "blurb". The lint appears to be between the first 2 elements of glass, so it shouldn't go too far. I'll call customer service on Monday, but it's frustrating having the camera all this time without the lens I wanted as my "walk around" - the package price was great, just $50 more than getting the camera with a new 18-55 kit lens. The spots in the sky are definitely reflections, but perhaps not as recognizable in the uploaded version.

Thank you Anbesol, your post was indeed helpful. Perhaps one day I'll know enough to be able to answer a few newbie questions myself.

Just an update:

Well, I called the store in NY. They told me "no lens is perfect" and want me to prove the lint is causing an image problem. I took several sky photos with the AF 60mm macro (only other lens I own) and a couple with the new 18-105mm zoom with the lint. I still only got spots with the lint lens. I emailed them to customer service. I don't get them on -every- single photo I take, so I'll have to see where this goes.

Oh, and when I sent the 4 pictures from last night, I was told that bright orb in the last night shot "had to be from a light source" - I admit I was a couple feet further down on the driveway, so the angle is slightly different, but the prior picture clearly shows no light source anywhere in that same vicinity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lint between lenses acceptable?-1.jpg   Lint between lenses acceptable?-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Ivonna; 05-18-2009 at 02:46 PM.

I don't think it is inappropriate to tell us who you are dealing with.
    I don't think a refurbished lens should have lint between elements.
    Keep Shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    I don't think it is inappropriate to tell us who you are dealing with.
    I don't think a refurbished lens should have lint between elements.
    First, it seems my honesty is being questioned - so - not good and easy enough to determine when the lens gets returned.

And, second the abrupt manner and hostile tone of voice in which he stated to "just pack EVERYTHING up then and send ALL of it back" if I "didn't like the lens" was neither an appropriate tone or solution for wanting a lens exchanged. I'm going to incur shipping costs twice (unless they agree to cover it) sending stuff back.

Not to mention, I've wasted my time doing exchanges when I could have been taking pictures. I've got a camera I'm happy with and I don't really want to send -everything- back! It doesn't make sense, it's all opened & used now. I just want what was advertised at the price it was advertised. A good shop should be able to honor that and I don't believe I'm being unreasonable in expecting that when I've gotten refurbished glass that is not clean - the shop should be able to return that glass to Nikon.

I'll ask to speak to someone else in the morning. It's a big business with good feedback, so I'm still hopeful of resolving this.

I would be interested in knowing who you are dealing with also so this type of problem could be avoided by myself and others in the future. If it gets handled or not it would be of interest to all of us but it will only be helpful if we know who your dealing with, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm not ignoring you guys...but the customer service manager is off on vacation and at this point, so am I! I did talk to Nikon service & repair center and they say the lint between the glass would be covered under the 90 day warranty for refurbished products. I'm anticipating some sort of resolution when the manager returns. If not, I can also request Amazon to intervene. But, that would likely involve returning everything in my package deal for a credit and starting all over again. At this point, it's perhaps not such a bad option after all.

I really don't want to mar the good reputation of a shop listed on this forum as "one of the good guys" over my poor experience with one individual at that shop without allowing the management a chance to make things right.

From now on, though, I'll stick to B&H or Adorama or just pay the extra bucks to order something at the local camera shop! Thanks for all your help.

Manager on vacation? That is one nasty cop out. I guess all consumers get to be put on hold? Probably just buying time, stalling. Stick with your guns and be persistent, lint in between lens is unacceptable. But, it might be better to deal with Nikon instead, if they will take care of you.

Or maybe return it all and use the credit to get a Sony A700/24-105 combo ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Manager on vacation? That is one nasty cop out. I guess all consumers get to be put on hold? Probably just buying time, stalling. Stick with your guns and be persistent, lint in between lens is unacceptable. But, it might be better to deal with Nikon instead, if they will take care of you.

Or maybe return it all and use the credit to get a Sony A700/24-105 combo ;)
    Short version: I returned it - all for full credit plus $12 credit for shipping the lens back the first time.

Long version: Actually, I think she really was on vacation. I waited until the day after she got back & presented the circumstances. She admitted she didn't know much about lenses but would do her best to give a replacement a quick look to check for anything obvious if I still wanted to exchange it. However, although the lens listed at 229 for a refurb on the site - my credit would only amount to about half of that if I returned just the lens for a credit because I would have to pay the higher single item price for the camera & cleaning kit.

Instead of trying for another refurb lens, I tried my luck on ebay & got an absolutely pristine D50, SB600, 18-55, 18-135mm lenses, a bunch of filters for the lenses, & a great camera backpack with a space for my laptop for less than the cost of the D60 with lens package. It all looks like new & the owner included the receipts & extended warranties. With the savings I can always add another body/lens later. And...best of all...the lenses are defect-free! Plus, the camera body has a motor and now I can use my AF60mm lens on auto. I'm a happy camper!

I and I'm sure others appreciat you letting us know the outcome.
    Very often, after a few days of communicating with someone, they just disappear and we never know what happened.
    Sounds like things came out well for you.
    Now we would like you to stay around and join in and show us some photos.
    Keep Shooting!

Hey Frog, I don't plan on disappearing!

Ivonna is going to look for herself. If she gets back before she returns please keep her here.

:shocked:

hmmm...

Thread Information