Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Lens choice for 40D

Hello folks, I just joined this forum today - sparked my by my renewed enthusiasm :thumbsup: thanks to the impending release of the EOS 40D.

I have preordered the Canon EOS 40D from Amazon. I chose the kit with the 28-135 IS lens. I can spend about $1500 on lenses. The weight of the lens is an important issue. What is the best lens combination for my situation. I take picture of my kids, nature, landscape -general prosumer photography. I wanted to add the Canon 100-400 L IS USM to the kit lens. Any comments or other suggestions?

I know this is a question that has been addressed a million times, but the answers are never satisfying :confused5: because no three people agree on the "perfect" combination. Will the kit lens allow good portraits? Also, I definitely want to stay with two lenses only.

Thanks,
    ssj
    Last edited by ssj1; 08-22-2007 at 05:06 PM.

Re: Lens choice for 40D

This is definitely a question that's come up before. But it's always a good one. The thing is, everyone has a different budget, different interests, and different needs. I think the 28-135 is a good lens to start with. Personally, it's not wide enough for me and I'd get a super wide to go with it. I've used the Canon EF-S 10-22mm and currently have the Tokina 12-24mm lens. Either one would be a good compliment for the 28-135mm IS.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The very best photos I have ever taken, were taken with either a 50 f/1.4 or a 135 f/2.0.

If you go zoom, the best choice for absolute quality would be the 24-70 2.8L, although Tamron/Tokina make variants of this lens that are well reviewed and substantially less expensive. I used to own the 100-400 L, but sold it eventually as its zoom range didn't prove that useful to me and I didn't much care for the push-pull zoom design. If you want the lens with the best range and best optics (from Canon) the pricy and heavy 28-300 L is a good choice.

50mm f/1.4 is just the best value lens ever I think. Tend to agree with Stephen L. Many of my favourite shots both taken and seen are from that lens. 85mm f/1.2 L MK II is sharper still but it's also a bit like having a Bazooka on the end of your camera.

Best all rounder zoom lens is the 24-70mm f/2.8 L IMHO. Spends more time on my camera than any other lens with the 50mm a close second. 16-35mm f/2.8 L MK II is also a blinder if you want wide landscape lens.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

I used to have quite a few prime lens, but eventually paired down my lens to the 16-35 2.8L, the 28-70 2,8L and the 70-200 2.8L. The only prime I kept is the 135 f/2.0L, which is the best lens I have ever used.

Still, this is some expensive and heavy glass. One of the more recent 2.8 IS variants from Canon made specifically for the DSLR might be a good choice. Never used them, but they are very well regarded.

Thread Information