Lens choice for 40D

Printable View

• 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM
    ssj1
    Lens choice for 40D
    Hello folks, I just joined this forum today - sparked my by my renewed enthusiasm :thumbsup: thanks to the impending release of the EOS 40D.

I have preordered the Canon EOS 40D from Amazon. I chose the kit with the 28-135 IS lens. I can spend about $1500 on lenses. The weight of the lens is an important issue. What is the best lens combination for my situation. I take picture of my kids, nature, landscape -general prosumer photography. I wanted to add the Canon 100-400 L IS USM to the kit lens. Any comments or other suggestions?

I know this is a question that has been addressed a million times, but the answers are never satisfying :confused5: because no three people agree on the "perfect" combination. Will the kit lens allow good portraits? Also, I definitely want to stay with two lenses only.

Thanks,
    ssj
  • 08-22-2007, 06:49 PM
    Photo-John
    Re: Lens choice for 40D
    This is definitely a question that's come up before. But it's always a good one. The thing is, everyone has a different budget, different interests, and different needs. I think the 28-135 is a good lens to start with. Personally, it's not wide enough for me and I'd get a super wide to go with it. I've used the Canon EF-S 10-22mm and currently have the Tokina 12-24mm lens. Either one would be a good compliment for the 28-135mm IS.
  • 08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
    Stephen Lutz
    The very best photos I have ever taken, were taken with either a 50 f/1.4 or a 135 f/2.0.

If you go zoom, the best choice for absolute quality would be the 24-70 2.8L, although Tamron/Tokina make variants of this lens that are well reviewed and substantially less expensive. I used to own the 100-400 L, but sold it eventually as its zoom range didn't prove that useful to me and I didn't much care for the push-pull zoom design. If you want the lens with the best range and best optics (from Canon) the pricy and heavy 28-300 L is a good choice.
  • 08-28-2007, 04:41 AM
    DEvianT
    50mm f/1.4 is just the best value lens ever I think. Tend to agree with Stephen L. Many of my favourite shots both taken and seen are from that lens. 85mm f/1.2 L MK II is sharper still but it's also a bit like having a Bazooka on the end of your camera.

Best all rounder zoom lens is the 24-70mm f/2.8 L IMHO. Spends more time on my camera than any other lens with the 50mm a close second. 16-35mm f/2.8 L MK II is also a blinder if you want wide landscape lens.
  • 08-31-2007, 06:25 PM
    Stephen Lutz
    I used to have quite a few prime lens, but eventually paired down my lens to the 16-35 2.8L, the 28-70 2,8L and the 70-200 2.8L. The only prime I kept is the 135 f/2.0L, which is the best lens I have ever used.

Still, this is some expensive and heavy glass. One of the more recent 2.8 IS variants from Canon made specifically for the DSLR might be a good choice. Never used them, but they are very well regarded.