Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

LED light vs flash?

I had a $10 Best Buy coupon to use, I found an open box Dynex LED light for $15, and it’s for use with a camcorder/camera. It screws onto the shoe, although there are no contacts as it's just a “dumb” light, not “smart” like a flash. It uses 2 AAA batteries, it’s bright but the range does seem to be somewhat limited. I have not had time to really use it, but I did take a few quick snaps around my apartment.

It seems like it would be fine for fill light for photographing objects, but I think for photographing people it has limited use, since the non-stop light would be annoying and cause a lot of squinting.

Has anyone had luck using one of these? It seems like it would work well for getting close-ups of items for websites or Ebay, and I like that you can see the shadows and reposition before you take the picture, vs. a flash where you can’t always predict where the shadows will be. Maybe it would work well as fill light outdoors? I’m using the Nikkor 35mm 1.8 on a D40.

Thoughts?
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Re: LED light vs flash?

it will be duller than dirt. A real flash would do better than it for any and everything. What can you really expect for $15 anyway? You may as well use a desklamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    it will be duller than dirt. A real flash would do better than it for any and everything. What can you really expect for $15 anyway? You may as well use a desklamp.
    Desk lamps seem a bit yellow to me and hard to carry around, especially outdoors. I don't expect a $15 LED to work like a $400+ flash or $4,000+ studio setup. I was simply asking about limited use, such as fill light when photographing still objects for online use, to see if anyone had experience with this.

Thank you for your response.

Olympus E-PL1

I was being facetious, sorry if it came off as rude. I have seen these items before and I honestly found them entirely worthless. What little that can do, your stock flash should do much better.

By the way - you can get bulbs with better spectrum, not all lights cast yellow. You can also compensate with custom white balance to offset the yellow cast.

Those things are only good for video. Better to invest in an inexpensive flash. Yes, you'll spend more. But you'll use it a lot more and for a lot longer.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Those things are only good for video. Better to invest in an inexpensive flash. Yes, you'll spend more. But you'll use it a lot more and for a lot longer.
    Thanks John, I actually have 3 different flashes, I just like to try different things. I figure that the more things you try, the more you learn!

Olympus E-PL1

Quote Originally Posted by havana_joe
    Thanks John, I actually have 3 different flashes, I just like to try different things. I figure that the more things you try, the more you learn!
    Oh - well that's different. In that case, buy it and show us the results!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information