Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

I've been wanting to buy a DSLR for such a long time now...

But I don't think that I will ever be able to make my mind. I've gone through many point and shoot digital cameras, and I'm not exactly what you would call a hardcore photographer. However, I want to improve in this hobby as I LOVE taking pictures of just about anything and touching them up in Photoshop. A few of my friends have DSLRs, and I'm pretty much in love with them. My problem though as I stated before, is that I can not decide on one to get. I think that an entry Canon or Nikon camera would suit me just fine, but I can never seem to get an unbiased opinion on which manufacturer would be better. Fanboys of each company will only tell me about how much the other company sucks.

Two cameras I've been looking at are the Nikon D3000, and the Canon EOS Rebel XS. Preferebly something cheaper as I am kind of just a beginner.

I suppose I should give you an idea of what I like to photograph the most. For the most part I like to take pictures of scenery, landscapes, cities, etc in the day time. But as I said before, I like to take pictures of pretty much everything.

I know that this has probably been asked 5000 times, but I would really appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer me. Thanks a ton!!!

Re: I've been wanting to buy a DSLR for such a long time now...

for what it is worth, i have struggled with the same thing and after numerous review site visits i settled on the Canon XSi and couldnt be happier.
    personally i dont think you can go too wrong on any particular one, as long as you can find good reviews about it on reputable sites. they all will have something that may not be perfect, but then again, somebody here said that the camera doesn't make the picture it only takes it. you as a photographer do the work.
    well lets just say i havent mastered that part yet, but the XSi bails me out quite a lot
    the other advice i have gotten is not to spend too much on the body, but to try to invest in good lenses. those you will keep longer than the body apparently and since you are just starting out, there is no point in buying a ferrari, if you still need to learn how to drive a mustang. hope that makes sense.

take all of this with a grain of salt as i am new to dSLR but i can honestly say that I love my XSi
    Canon XSi, Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

The only thing against the beginner level Nikons is that they won't auto-focus with older lenses. Not an issue if you only plan to get newer afs lenses.

When someone starts telling you how awful the other manufacturer is, it is a good time to start ignoring their advice. In these forums, we realize that it is a personal preference on features and feel and how well the camera model fits your life that matters. It is what you do with the camera that matters.
    Canon and Nikon are the big boys but Olympus, Pentax, and Sony make some good stuff and have a definite advantage in price.
    The first thing you need to do is figure out your budget which should include the lenses you'll want to get.
    You have a response from a Canon user and now you have one from a Nikon user and I'm willing to bet a Pentax, Olympus, &/or a Sony user will pop in here too.
    If you have a camera store you can get to, go in and ask to hold the different cameras and see which one feels right in your hand and whether the controls seem natural.

How much did you use the controls on your point and shoots?
    Keep asking questions and once you do make up your mind, don't look back.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thanks for the suggestions! I would mess around with exposure and longer shutter speeds on my point and shoots as well as some macro. Macro kinda failed though because there was no manual focus. They are so limited in options it seems. I'm going to look around a bit more and make a choice. Thanks for the help though!

I'll vote Nikon, but that's because I have a Nikon. If I had a Canon I'd vote Canon. Really, any of the major brands are good, but keep in mind that you are buying into a system. If you go Nikon, then you will aquire Nikon lenses, flashes, etc. If not the Nikon brand name, then certainly those accessories that will only work with Nikon. The same goes for Canon, Pentax, Olympus, etc. Your best bet is to look at several brands, see what "feels" right to you, what system you like, and go from there.
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

frog gives good advice, i was going to get a canon...but the a friend let me play with his nikon and i loved it...i ended up getting a nikon D90 because of the built in AF motor. i liked both canon and nikon, and i still cant say id prefer one or the other for picture quality but i love my nikon! what cameras have your friends got?
    kyle:thumbsup:

Nikon D90
    Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3
    Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G VR ED
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 AF macro (1:2)

I have a Nikon N80 35mm camera that I love, but I just bought a DSLR about a month ago and I went with a Canon Rebel XS. Both manufacturers make great cameras, I would compare the cameras in your price range and go with the one that has the options you are looking for. The only set back on the Nikon Prosumer line is that the AF motor is in the lens so older lenses won't work and the lenses are a little bit more pricey
    "If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?"
    -Canon EOS Rebel XS DSLR
    -Nikon N80 35mm
    -Nikon Coolpix L20 P&S

LOL, to modify Havana_Joe's statement-- I go with canon, because I have a canon

Really, don't limit yourself by brand. Look around for the features you want and the prices. If you think in the future you want to get more lenses and such, it probably is a good idea to check out the prices and availability of that brands lenses and accessories.

Good luck
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    LOL, to modify Havana_Joe's statement-- I go with canon, because I have a canon

Really, don't limit yourself by brand. Look around for the features you want and the prices. If you think in the future you want to get more lenses and such, it probably is a good idea to check out the prices and availability of that brands lenses and accessories.

Good luck
    Point proven! =)

Olympus E-PL1

Thanks for the responses again

Are the lenses that come with cameras usually decent, or should I just get the body only and buy a lens separately? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by dohlfhauldhagen
    Thanks for the responses again

Are the lenses that come with cameras usually decent, or should I just get the body only and buy a lens separately? Thanks again!
    Look in the reviews section to see what other people think.

When you buy a kit (body + lens) the lens is almost given away so it's a good way to start.

The Nikon kit lenses are all good. The first two versions of the Canon 18-55 kit lens had a pretty bad reputation but the latest version (with IS) seems to have come up to the level of the Nikon kit lenses. As you're looking at a fairly old model (Rebel XS) you might get the wrong version in your kit.

If you think of buying just the XS body and a more noble Canon lens - the first choice is the 17-85 IS but that doesn't have a very good reputation either.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

i want to buy a SLR camera too..so this thread really help me

Alright, I ended up buying a Nikon D5000. Thanks for all of the help!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

There's a price for the help.
    Come back, post pics, ask questions, give answers, etc.
    Hope you learn and enjoy.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Congrats on the Nikon! I have the D40 and I love it, I can only assume you'll love your D5000 just as much! If I may offer a suggestion, if you can afford another $200 go out and get the Nikkor 35mm 1.8 lens. I bought mine at Best Buy, but all the major online places carry it as well.

It’s very highly rated, it works great in low-light situations, it makes a good portrait lens, and it has fairly good bokeh (background blur). It's small, light, and it will focus with any Nikon DSLR because it's an AF-S lens (motor is in the lens itself). If you upgrade the body in the future, you will still be happy to have it!

Even if you end up going with other lenses, such as a bigger zoom, it’s a great lens to have. It’s on my D40 pretty much all the time, and I use my camera a lot more now, since I don't have to fuss with lighting, flashes, and tripods for indoor pictures.
    Last edited by havana_joe; 03-31-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Olympus E-PL1

Thread Information