Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: I need help!!!

I need help!!!

Few Questions that I seriously need help with.

1. What type of canon DSLR lens is equal to a 35x optical zoom?

2. I want an SLR. Is the Canon Rebel XS a good choice or should I go for the Rebel T3?

My current camera is a Canon SX30IS.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: I need help!!!

1) short answer - no single lens can do that

35x is the difference between the focal lengths, I don't know of any DSLR lenses with that range.
    10:350 is 35x, 10mm very wide angle and 350mm telphoto.

Even a 10x zoom, by the time you scale it up to 35mm there are issues with weight, size, light gathering, and image quality.
    Something like the Sigma 50-500mm is 10x zoom and is is heavy, large diameter, long, and does not work well in dim light. Its quality is best stopped down 1 3/4 to 2 stops so it is pretty much a sunlight lens - definitely not excelling indoors for example.

The Canon 35-350mm zoom is also 10x optical zoom.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

The Wombat is right - you aren't going to get anything like a 35x zoom with a digital SLR. Ten times is about as long as you're going to get. They can make lenses that long for compacts because the optical expectations aren't as high and the cameras are so much smaller. With digital SLRs the optical flwas of those lenses would be much more obvious and unacceptable. To get that kind of range with a digital SLR you're going to need multiple lenses. But you will get much better quality than you could ever expect from any compact camera.

As for which camera, the T3i is obviously a more capable camera. The question is, based on your experience and budget, what do you really need? If you're stepping up from a compact superzoom, then the Canon XS is going to be a huge improvement. And it will save you some bucks that you can apply towards some better lenses. The general advice we give here is spend a little less on the camera and more on lenses. Ultimately, better lenses will make a bigger difference in your photography than a better camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Sometimes people are mistakenly under the impression that a high zoom power equals better optical quality, when in fact the opposite is true. Tamron makes a 15x - their 18-270mm, which is I believe the highest ratio zoom available (for DSLR).

The second question you ask is vague, and hard to really answer such a broad open ended question. The T3 is 2 models newer than the XS, in the same line. Moreover, why have you limited yourself to exclusively Canon? Do you already have lens for the mount? If not, why not look at their competition? They have a lot of good competition and you might find something that fits your needs better with a different brand model. John - he was saying the T3, not the T3i.

Canon makes excellent stuff, can't go wrong with them, but you will do yourself a favor to see what else there is.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    John - he was saying the T3, not the T3i.
    D'oh! I forgot about the T3 and just assumed it was a typo. Either way, same answer
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Let me ask you this, do you already have a 35x zoom camera or are you just trying to find a lens that can do the same on a SLR camera?
    If the 35x zoom is critical to you, buy that type of camera and forget the SLR, as the money and weight of your SLR gear will kill you.
    Get yourself a couple of cards, mark then accordingly and the go to a camera store where they will allow to take a few shots with both types of cameras and the go home and compare the results.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Thread Information