Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Please help me find the proper camera

Hello I am kinda new to photography. I have used a Sony DSC-V1 since they came out and it still works great but not for what I need pictures for. I don't really know to well what all the lingo means with the ISO and A/F and F2.8 and all these other things my camera has on it. I have read about some of these and think my camera is set to the best quality I can get but there is a big delay when trying to snap a picture and if there is motion it is blurred. I am sure this camera is way outdated and I was looking into getting a better one for taking pictures of my daughters sports mainly.

So I was looking at Canon EOS 60D DSLR 18mp because my wife's friend has one and it takes great pictures and she can take pictures with motion with no blur and take them fast. So I thought perfect until I get the price of what she has. So does anyone have a suggestion that is less than $1000 for a camera I could get that would allow me to take pictures fast and clear without the motion blur. Maybe this 60D camera is overkill for what I need. I just want good quality pictures for my daughters scrap book.

Re: Please help me find the proper camera

Any dslr with a decent lens and proper technique should meet your requirements. A camera is just a tool that needs to be learned and practiced with.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by mn shutterbug View Post
    Any dslr with a decent lens and proper technique should meet your requirements. A camera is just a tool that needs to be learned and practiced with.
    Do you know a certain model or brand you would recommend? I did find a Canon EOS 300D / Digital Rebel - 6.3MP w/ 18-55mm kit lens. This a good one?

I don't want to sound like an a$$, but the camera doesn't take good photos, the photographer does. "my wife's friend has one and it takes great pictures" - no, your wife's friend takes great pictures (and her lens is at least as important as her camera). Do you think that you can go out and buy a good word processor and sit down and write good prose? Good images require knowing and applying all that "lingo". Sorry.

Now for your actual question. You can go one of several ways depending on the $ available.

1 - With your current camera, post your best or problem shots and let the knowledgeable folk here work with you to get the best shots you can from it.

2 - Upgrade you dated camera with a newer Point & Shoot or Compact ($200 - $800) that will better fit your needs and post your best or problem shots and let the knowledgeable folk here work with you to get the best shots you can from it.

3 - Get an entry to mid-level DSLR ($500 - $1200) with the lens that comes with it and post your best or problem shots and let the knowledgeable folk here work with you to get the best shots you can from it.

4 - Get a mid-level DSLR with the (very expensive) lenses ($1200 - $ you wouldn't believe it) that may be required to get the images you want and post your best or problem shots let the knowledgeable folk here work with you to get the best shots you can from it.

If you have the $ for a nice DSLR set up (like the 60D), that would be great. There are no bad cameras at this level and few bad lenses. Post more precise info on what kind of things that you are trying to shoot and we can recommend more specifics.

Hope I helped more than hindered.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Ah no problem Terry I totally agree. I will post a couple of pictures taken with my current camera with the current settings. Camera's are not my cup of tea unfortunately.The first pic is of a picture with motion, the second picture is of a stand still and the 3rd is of after dark. The camera works great if there is no movement but with movement its tough to get the right picture because there is a 3-4 second delay from the time the button it pressed to when the picture takes. Night time pictures or indoors in like a gymnasium always turn out kinda dark. Thanks for your imput and information.

Well it says I need 10 post before I can post pictures so I will post a few more time here

Ok couple more times

ok this will do it

Ok here is the photos and the settings.

I use this on the normal camera mode on the dial
    5.0mp
    SAF
    F2.8
    ISO 100
    and there is a flower icon which I am not sure what that is but its always been there

And here is what a normal picture turns out like which I don't think is too bad, but if there were to be motion the picture would have been blury.

Here is the manual. You are going to have to learn what the settings do or ay least what they are.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/DSCV1.pdf

Also, here are a few 'How to' documents.

Sony eSupport - DSC-V1 - Manuals / Specs / Warranty

I'm looking over the manual to get an idea of what it does. Looks like that it was a very capable camera.

Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Thank you. I guess the camera description explains itself. It is a still shot camera. I went ahead and ordered a Canon EOS REBEL T3i 18mp camera with the 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens to start out with.

When you get the camera, be sure to read and reread the manual and then get out and shoot and shoot some more. There is much to learn. Just do not get in the habit of shooting in auto or program mode. Those modes do not make a good photographer. I'm actually surprised they even include program modes such as portrait and sports on DSLR cameras. Letting the camera make your decisions for you is rarely a good idea.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

you dont need an uber camera. ditto to what they just said. decent dslr with a nice lens.

i see you already bought a camera. good luck!

Thread Information