Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

hooked another one...

So I finally decided to get a digital camera. I've decided that (1) basic DSLR prices won't drop much in the foreseeable future - there's really no incentive for them to, and (2) there's not much point in waiting to see whether one is better than others in terms of Q&R - they all have issues, pretty much to the same extent. So I might as well get one and stop spending money on film.

As for which one, although I'm not really invested in a lense collection, I figured it'd be nice to be able to share lenses between my digicam and film cam - which, coupled with my budget, clinches it for the Digital Rebel. Make some space for me on that bandwagon, will ya?

(Actually, I played with the Digital Rebel at a store a couple of months back. My gut said, ohmigod, this is what I need. My mind said, not so fast, let's sit on this for a while.)

One decision yet to be made is which basic zoom lense to get, since I don't think the kit lense will give me the zoom I want. I'd like one in the 28mm-105mm or 28mm-135mm range. I'm trying to decide between:
    - Canon 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 II USM
    - Sigma 28-105mm 3.8-5.6 UC III
    - Sigma 28-135mm 3.8-5.6, which has semi-macro ability (9.4" focus distance) at the tele end

Opinions would be appreciated.

Rest of my shopping list:
    - Two 256MB cards: SD 256MB Ultra II (is there a point in a Lexar 40x if the camera doesn't support WA?); mem card reader; mem card wallet
    - Extra battery pack (Power-2000 version; any advantage in a genuine Canon?)
    - The Phase One s/w for Digital Rebel RAW processing
    - A couple of Tiffen Haze-1 UV filters to sit on both the kit lense and the other lense
    - Carry case: Yet to figure this one out...

And maybe, if I have the gumption:
    - Circular polarizer to play with
    - LCD screen protectors (or is this a scam?)

- Yaron

Have fun with your new DSLR!

I have the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM lens, I use it on my film camera and now on my 10D. The first thing I noticed with this lens on the 10D is that I miss the wide end. I am now in the market for a 17-40 f/4L to recover the wide end. If I were to purchase the 28-105 again I would get the Canon 28-135 IS, for the IS feature. All that being said, I think the 28-105 or 28-135 would be a perfect starter lens for a Drebel. If you never had that 28mm wide angle you won't miss it as much. The 28-105/135 is a perfect gap lens for when you do fill in the wide end with a 12-24, 16-35, or 17-40.
    I have a Lowepro Computrekker for my gear and I am pretty happy with it. It is basically a Mini-Trekker with a padded laptop sleeve in back. It has a flip out tripod holder, a huge front pocket, and an AW cover. I am currently carrying a 10D with 28-105 attached, 80-200 f/2.8L, 300 f/4L, Canon G2, and an EOS 3 body. Also I carry filters for the lenses(polarizers, 81a's, and split ND 1 and 3 stop, with adapter rings for the lenses). I have to do some arranging to find room for the future 17-40 f/4L and a 550ex. Right now what I have in the bag takes up a lot of the space of this bag. It is also very heavy fully loaded up. I find it nice though for an extended trip to have my laptop with for downloading and reviewing shots(ugh, more weight). On day trips I leave the laptop at home.
    I don't see any reason to get the LCD protectors, I haven't had my 10D very long but I find the LCD is never really in the line of fire. I owned an S30 for a while, and the LCD did get scratched, but it really didn't hurt it, I still could see the info I wanted clearly.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Yaron,

Look at the Canon 28-135 IS f/3.5 - 5.6 lens as an option as well. I have it, I love it and use it with my film body as well.

The one thing I have found with digital cameras, I have a 10D, is the crop factor of x 1.6 with lenses, you need to get a good understanding of that when you are purchasing lenses. If you need to have a wide angle lens and you are using digital, then you will need something like a 17-40 lens, not necissarily A Canon f4/L lens althought that is considered an excellent lens.

I have been toying with the idea of LCD protectors as my nose is always smudging it and I have to clean it with a hankie more times than I would like and I have been a little concerned about scratching it as well. Although it is fairly simple and reasonably priced to change the cover of the LCD screen. Remember it is only a plastic cover over the LCD display.

I have a Lowepro Magnum Pro bag contains everything I just about have and yes is a little heavy but I have what I need when I need it.

Some quick notes...

Thanx for the advice so far.
    Couple of quick notes:

- Not too concerned about the wide end. I currently (w/ my film cam) find myself zooming in much more than out. The kit lense should cover my wide-angle needs.

- Not so interested in IS. I have a rather steady hand (or so I think), and use a tripod as necessary.

- Any opinions about the Sigma lenses? I hear two camps, one saying, "For a Canon camera you should get only Canon lenses," the other saying, "Sigma's fine, maybe a little slower, but otherwise about as good as Canon." Remember I'm talking basic lenses here, not L stuff. (Note: I'm not overly concerned about speed. Most subjects I like to shoot - other than my cats - have been there for a very long time and will continue to be there, barring natural disasters or terrorist activity.)

- Yaron

When I started buying EF lenses, one of the first lenses I bought was a Sigma 28-200, I thought I was paying an awful lot for this lens. After all it cost almost as much as the EOS Elan II I was buying at the time. The build quality was marginal at best and the image quality was just adequate. I eventually traded it for my current 28-105 usm II. I bought the L glass after that and I am hooked, I want more. I understand that Sigma has come a long way in image quality and build quality with their EX pro lines with their HSM motors. I still have a Canon bias though, created by my earlier experience with Sigma. I have been considering the Sigma EX 12-24 for my wide end, but for the same price I keep coming back to the Canon 17-40L. I had the hardest time getting over the idea that a body is just a fancy light box, other than features they all do the same thing: get light to the film(sensor). The lens is the important part, they cost a lot more than the body, and are the major determinate in image quality. http://www.photodo.com has quite a lens test library, although the MTF tests are very scientific and are not the end all to lens quality.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    When I started buying EF lenses, one of the first lenses I bought was a Sigma 28-200, I thought I was paying an awful lot for this lens. After all it cost almost as much as the EOS Elan II I was buying at the time. The build quality was marginal at best and the image quality was just adequate. I eventually traded it for my current 28-105 usm II.
    I resisted the temptation to get a 28-200 based on the advice in the following thread on this forum (one of the first), titled, "Lense recommendation":
    Lense recommendation

As well as info from fora on other sites. Perhaps your negative experience with this lense is simply b/c with such a big zoom range you inevitably lose quality...

- Yaron

Thread Information