Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Have you had the Nikon D80 problem with a false battery low indication?

My question to Nikon was as follows.
    After fully charging the camera battery. I first switch on the camera, the camera LCD Control panel displays "Lo F95", even though there is ample, normal daylight available. This locks all functions.

If I then turn the camera on and off numerous times, I will eventually get to the point where normal operating functions resume, though only for a few minutes. Camera then effectively dies, displaying F--. After that, the LCD display shows the 'battery is exhausted' symbol.

But all that happens after the battery has been charging overnight, and within minutes at most of me switching on the camera.

What is wrong, please? This camera is only 9 months old or so, and surely the battery shouldn't be discharging this quickly? Or is there something in the camera itself that is mis-reading the battery charge and therefore behaving strangely?

I have had a reply back from support directing me to a service contact. This is not what I purchased the D80 for. $1910 dollars later I'm using my old instamatic digital again.

Nikon Australia were very quick to reply to my email. They advised I remove the lens, give the pins and the barrel connection a quick polish. This they advised should get rid of the issue. I'll try this and advise when and if the issue arises again.

Instant fix with no repeat of the problem. Remove the lens and give the contacts (silver pins) a quick polish. Also wipe the body contacts, Battery error dissappears, no more F-- ands no more LoF95.

Hi, first post for me on this forum.

Had the same problem last night:

First, no matter what i did, the camera seemed to be dead, i mean i had no battery indication even as i put in fresh batteries. Nothing., the screen was blank.

What i did to fix the problem:
    first, i recharged one of the batteries completely, over night.
    Then, as i placed it in the camera, it showed me a false low battery warning. Reading around here that it can be the fault of the lens (i have a 18 -135 ) and knowing that my lens have a little fault, i did what i always do when the camera and the lens had trouble: grabbed the camera, the lens, and twisted them a little. Usually, when i do this, the lens move, half a milimiter or so, and the problem seemed to be fixed.
    I knew about this because sometimes my camera wouldn't detect the lens, when i did this, they would work. I tried that for the false low battery problem too, and it seemed to work...

good

good post,,,,,,,,,,,,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information