Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Moving up from my D3000

Hello all! New guy here who has a question for the experts. I have a Nikon D3000 with 2 kit lenses. 18-55MM & 55-200. Both retail for about $200 (Give or take)

I want to upgrade to a nicer DSLR that takes movies and the two that are on my radar are the Nikon D7000 and the Canon 60D.

Most of the reviews that I've read say that the Canon 60D wins in the movie category as it has the advantage of shooting at a full 30 FPS in 1080p.

My questions are:

1) Since the D7000 only goes up to 24 FPS and not 30 FPS, does this really matter?
    2) With the roughly $400 dollar difference in camera body price alone, would I be better of going over to the Canon and purchasing new lenses alltogether, or just taking the hit and going for the $1,200 Nikon?

Thanks for the help!!!

Re: Moving up from my D3000

1) Since the D7000 only goes up to 24 FPS and not 30 FPS, does this really matter?

No. You will see no difference. 24 FPS is the standard for cinema films

2) With the roughly $400 dollar difference in camera body price alone, would I be better of going over to the Canon and purchasing new lenses alltogether, or just taking the hit and going for the $1,200 Nikon?

Stick with Nikon and take your time about upgrading your lenses. The ones you have will work very well with the D7000, despite the increased resolution of the sensor.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Franglais,
    I don't have enough posts to start a new thred so I'm tagging on to this one.
    You helped me earlier with a lens compatibility question ( I've decided on the D7000) so I come seeking knowledge again.
    IHow can I tell if I am getting the genuine Nikon product or a graymarket, non magnesium body unit?
    Thanks in advance
    Jim

My understanding is that "greymarket" means that the camera has not been supplied via the official distributor (Nikon USA in this case) therefore it is not covered by the official guarantee. If you had a problem with it then the only solution would be to take it back to your original supplier and try to get them to fix it.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais View Post
    My understanding is that "greymarket" means that the camera has not been supplied via the official distributor (Nikon USA in this case) therefore it is not covered by the official guarantee. If you had a problem with it then the only solution would be to take it back to your original supplier and try to get them to fix it.
    I understand what you stated above.
    My specific question is how do I know when I am getting the real thing. Are there specific markings? Does it come in a diferrent box, etc.
    Jim

Jcomiot - don't bother. You sound like you've found a "great deal" and you are considering it. If you want a D7000, you will either pay at or damned close to full retail MSRP. If you see a D7000 new sold for $700 on Somethingxx.com, it is FAKE. There is NO such thing, for example, as a $700 D7000. Stick with the known good guys, Adorama.com, KEH.com, BHPhoto.com, etc.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Jcomiot - don't bother. You sound like you've found a "great deal" and you are considering it. If you want a D7000, you will either pay at or damned close to full retail MSRP. If you see a D7000 new sold for $700 on Somethingxx.com, it is FAKE. There is NO such thing, for example, as a $700 D7000. Stick with the known good guys, Adorama.com, KEH.com, BHPhoto.com, etc.
    I didn't bother. I already bought from BHphoto. Now how can I tell I have the real thing. Or is their word good enough?
    Jim

Nope, bhphoto is good.
    - Charlie

Feel free to edit and repost my work as a part of your critique.

Quote Originally Posted by jcomiot View Post
    IHow can I tell if I am getting the genuine Nikon product or a graymarket, non magnesium body unit?
    A "grey market" Nikon camera or lens is a "genuine Nikon product." "Grey market" does not mean counterfeit. Read this, and this for more on this topic.

Essentially the difference is a "grey market" product is not imported by (in this case) Nikon USA. It is not warranted by Nikon USA, but it's a genuine Nikon product -- same hardware, same construction, same raw materials assembled by the same people in the same factory to the same tolerances and specifications.

BTW, B&H does sell some "grey market" lenses, speedlights and film slr cameras but we do not sell (and never have sold) "grey market digital cameras at all.

Thread Information