Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Have you had the Nikon D80 problem with a false battery low indication?

There is a very long thread on the Nikonian forum about a D80 problem in which the battery indicator one moment will show that the battery has plenty of juice and then the next moment will show that the battery is low or almost dead. Resetting the camera fixes this issue, at least temporarily until it happens again. Theories on it have been that it's the lens and other theories have floated around. One or two people said they have sent their cameras back to Nikon and they came back without the problem. At least one or two people said they sent their cameras back to Nikon and they came back with the same problem. To my knowledge, Nikon has not even acknowledged any problem. On the other forum, someone said that since only 26 people since November have reported the problem (on that particular forum), that it's not very widespread. I think 26 people on just one forum is really a lot for the same problem. I was considering buying a D80 and now I'm scared that I will become a statistic in having the problem. If Nikon said there is a problem and indicated that they are working on it, I would not be scared. But I thought I would put the issue out on another forum and see if people who perhaps use this forum but not the other one have the problem. I know I can't canvass enough people to really get a statistically significant conclusion but at least by putting it out here, I will get some more data on how widespread the problem really is. I mean, would you buy a car that you knew a bunch of people were reporting the same problem with it's operation over?

Thanks for your feedback. I am not trying to stir up any trouble of bad mouth Nikon in any way. I am just trying to determine if it is wise to buy a D80 while this problem appears to be outstanding in more than just a couple of units.

Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

Re: Have you had the Nikon D80 problem with a false battery low indication?

I don't believe i've had this problem. Had the D80 since September, and battery has been running well. I'm interested in hearing this false battery indication...yes it fluctuates sometimes...like when i'm using a flash and then stop using it, for example. If i ever have any problems like this, I'll be sure to report also.

-josh

ps buy an extra battery! you always want the shot :17:

My Nikon D80 started having the same Low Battery issue with a fully charged battery few months after I purchased it in June 2007 and it got much worse in the past month.
    I missed shots because I had to turn off and turn on the camera to get around this very annoying issue. I am considering buying another battery to see if it is a battery problem.

Other than this fault, the camera works well.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I have not had this problem with mine and owned since Aug 2006.
    Are you using a Nikon battery or one of the ones from China which I've heard the battery indicator won't work with?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Yes, I too have had this problem. Both batteries are Nikon , the lens is the Nikon 18-200 , camera d80. I have tried lots of combinations to remedy this including cleaning lens/camera contacts , and still have an intermittent problem. No particular time or combination of events .Purchased 08/15/07 . Still under warranty. Nikon said I could send it in for repairs , just hate to give it up for a month or whatever it takes, especialy if it is so intermittent that they might not experience it at all . Very frustrating.

I just started having this same problem. I have a D80 w/ the Nikon 18-200m VR. I recently contacted Nikon customer support and am in the process of seek a resolution.

Nikon Shooter

I have same trouble with my D80 and several in my camera club have also and we wonder how to resolve this. Maybe a sofware upgrade? I bought my cam from Ritz early 2008

I also have problem with refusing to shoot on auto focus... shut autofocus off and focus manually and it shoots!! Many many missed shots... extremely annoying. I have Quantaray 18-200 (Ritz/Sigma) but hear others have problem with Nikor too. Anyone else??

Only time mine refuses to shoot on auto-focus is when there is nothing in focus as when the light is too low or I'm too close to subject. Green light in viewfinder indicates when focused.
    Keep Shooting!

I also have been having this problem. I first noticed it about 1 month after purchasing the camera. The first time I encountered this I switched to my backup battery (both are Nikon EN-EL3e) and experienced the same issue. I can only take approximately 5 shots before the indicator reads low battery and I have to turn the camera off to reset it.

I haven't contacted Nikon yet but will be doing so shortly.

Hmm... I never had this happen although I had heard about it. Faulty batteries maybe?
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

I have just started having the same problem. I have had my D80 for two years without an issue until now. I'm using the Sigma 18-200 OS Lens. It is definitely not a battery issue. I tried using 3 different batteries and each time had the same problem. I even had my friend try out the same batteries in his D80 camera and they worked fine.

Sounds like a firmware issue or a manufacturing issue, I am interested to hear what Nikon has to say about it. Hopefully you can just solve it with a firmware upgrade through USB...

yes, i have had my D80 for over a year and the problem started shortly after I bought it, but it was so infrequent I ignored it. Don't do that, send it in under warranty. Mine is out of warranty now and the problem is intolerable, and I will have to pay to have it fixed. But worse than that is I have over 2000. invested in this camera (one of the fastest on the market) and I keep missing vital shots. You all know what its like to press the shutter button and hear NOTHING, look up at the LCD and see flashing on the battery. That how I found your forum this morning. I will let you know how the repair goes. I can't believe I have to be without my camera in the middle of summer, guess I will have to buy some film for my 27 year old Cannon A1.

Unhappy Re: Have you had the Nikon D80 problem with a false battery low indication?

I bought my D80 new in 2006 from an authorized U.S. Nikon retailer. I replaced the original Nikkor lens with a 18-200 Nikkor VR lens last year. I only use Nikon batteries. The camera was trouble free until this summer. Now I'm having the same problem that many other D80 owners complain about: Intermittently, the camera will stop functioning. The battery indicator will be at its lowest level and blinking, whether or not I have a fully charged battery installed. If I turn off the camera and then immediately turn it on again, it will work fine - until the next time this happens, which can be any time, on the next shot or two battery changes later.

The other day, I turned the camera on and it displayed the F--- error, indicating a problem recognizing the lens. The lens is my Nikkor 18-200, so the camera shouldn't have problems recognizing it. The battery indicated 3/4 charge, but I charged it anyway. The problem went away...till next time. Another owner that had this problem sent the camera in to Nikon, had some electronics changed or repaired, and the problem went away for good.

Nikon promptly replied to my customer service email message with: "Thanks for the question and sorry to hear about the problem with your camera. It does sound like your camera, lens and battery should come in to Nikon Service to be checked."

Does anyone who had Nikon fix this problem have any idea what they may charge and how long it might take? I'm concerned about what it will cost to fix out of warranty. I am also reluctant to send it in during the summer, when I take the most photos.

It's pretty frustrating to have spent nearly $2,000 on Nikon equipment with confidence in Nikon's quality reputation, then to find out that my model has software and/or hardware bugs that many other owners have experienced and the manufacturer won't acknowledge.
    It might be costly for Nikon to offer an out-of-warranty fix to their D80 owners for this problem. But it would do a lot to maintain their reputation, which for me has gone from "definitely recommend Nikon products" to "possibly recommend".

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Nikon has historically addressed any major issues with a hardware fix free of charge even out of warranty. Case in point would be the D2H meter failure or D70 "Blinking Green Light of Death" issues, both of which have service advisories posted with free replacement of the affected parts.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Good to hear that Nikon occasionally fixes major issues free of charge even out of warranty. Nikon has no service advisories posted on their nikonusa website for the problem that I am having. There are no advisories at all shown for the D80.

I hope that Nikon does fix my D80 problem at no charge, since the it makes the camera quite unreliable and at times unusable. Based on results of my Google searches, the problem appears to be much more widespread than a few isolated incidents.

I will let you and the rest of the forum know the outcome when I send my camera to Nikon.

I've had my D80 since Jan07. Had this problem first time in December 07, then intermittently since. This weekend even resetting the camera didn't help, but taking the lens off and resetting it seems to have an effect. If it continues I will have to look into repair as it renders the camera basically unusable.

I have had on ongoing issue with the false low battery on my Nikon D80. Purchased the camera this summer. Used it extensively on travel and really enjoyed the quality of images & functionality of the D80. Then starting about two months ago - the false low battery problem began occuring. Always a bad time for the camera not to work - I use for professional work as well as for personal use. Taking the battery out, then putting it back in helps - for a little while. Removing the lens and resetting works as well, but nothing has fixed the issue permanently. I will keep this camera and always have a back up battery - but if you can find one that does not have this problem, I'd suggest going with it. Hoping Nikon owns up to the problem and corrects for us all.

Has anyone ever contacted Nikon to see if they'll fix your camera's problem?
    My D80 has never had the problem.
    Keep Shooting!

nikon has a firmware fix for the problem go to the url below and follow the directions

Thank you for contacting Nikon Technical Support. Please download and install the latest firmware for the D80 it fixes the problem with the battery.

Answer Title: D80 Firmware - A: 1.11 / B: 1.11 - Windows
    Answer Link: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...ted=1222177200

Answer Title: D80 Firmware - A: 1.11 / B: 1.11 - Macintosh
    Answer Link: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...ted=1222181604

I've had my D80 for 4 months and it started this low battery game with me about two months into it. Very dissappointed as I often (try to ) use it at sporting events and 1 out of three times its not going to cooperate.
    Could be the lens contacts.
    I have three different types of batteries and the grip and it does the same thing regardless of what is powering it. Will contact Nikon now that they must be aware of the issue.

Upgrade the firmware to Rev. 1.11

I just wanted to thank man123321 for posting the links for the D80 firmware update solution for this problem. Kudos!! :thumbsup:

My wife and I have owned our D80 and 18-200 VR since the fall '06 when it was released. It's been a very reliable camera, but last week it started doing this battery problem. The camera showed the firmware as v1.00, so it was in need of updating.

I just flashed the firmware and it seems to be working perfectly. The test will be this afternoon when I go to shoot a water polo game.

Thanks again!

WildWeasel

my pleasure

Hi newby here, I have been reading the various posts on the problems with the nikon D80. I love the camera and do have some quality shots. I have had the same problems from the start, trying to take a shot and nothing happens. I went back to the shop to complain and was told that on autofocus it needs something to pick out and try it on the af c setting. Ok so that was the answer. Next, just recently I had the low battery flash and thort it was strange as it had not long been charged and not been used for a while. But then the worst thing happened I now have no control panel on top anyone else had this problem and anything I can do to sort this please. I have tried going to the Nikon site and downloading the firmware but it asks for your serial number which I duly entered and yes you got it it bounced back saying not a legit number. It was bought in UK from a reputable dealer so do not understand. Any answers to the above welcomed and possible download emailed to me would help. My firmware version is 1.01 on both A and B. Caroline :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information