Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Got Camera Envy

Got Camera Envy

I'm polishing up a Rebel XT pro review by Larry Chen. I had to shoot studio tests with the camera and take product shots of it as well. While I was doing the product shots I decided to do a comparison photo of my 10D next to the Rebel XT. Oh my god is the Rebel XT wonderfully tiny! It would make an awwwwwesome backpack camera for mountain bike rides. And after a little bit of use I think the AF and speed might even be better than my 10D. What do you think? Should I trade in the 10D for a Rebel XT?

Stay tuned for Larry's Rebel XT review. He already contributed a review of the Canon EOS 20D and he compares the two cameras in the new review.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got Camera Envy-xt_10d.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Ranter and raver.

Re: Got Camera Envy

Go for it! The little cameras now as so much fun. Not only is the weight reduction a God sent on hikes, but they're so much easier on the wrist and more fun to shoot with because they're not weighing you down.
    Last edited by tijean; 08-05-2005 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Always present typos

Liz

Absolutely!

The Rebel XT is the perfect weight for hiking, biking, whatever. It's small and so light! It makes a lot of difference to me because of my back, especially when I take it to NY or elsewhere and carry it around doing some street photography.

As Tijean said, John "GO FOR IT"

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm polishing up a Rebel XT pro review by Larry Chen. I had to shoot studio tests with the camera and take product shots of it as well. While I was doing the product shots I decided to do a comparison photo of my 10D next to the Rebel XT. Oh my god is the Rebel XT wonderfully tiny! It would make an awwwwwesome backpack camera for mountain bike rides. And after a little bit of use I think the AF and speed might even be better than my 10D. What do you think? Should I trade in the 10D for a Rebel XT?

Stay tuned for Larry's Rebel XT review. He already contributed a review of the Canon EOS 20D and he compares the two cameras in the new review.

Re: Absolutely!

I was *just* at the camera store today (my son has his eye on a handycam for this winter) and was gazing at the XT, wondering if I should set my sights higher or if the XT would thrill me. I'm ready to upgrade from my DRebel but I'm not sure to what. Or if I should just get a new pro lens instead.

I can't wait to read the review. Please post an alert when it's ready!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Dude, I was just at Good Guys fondling the merchandise and noticed the Rebel XT is even smaller (overall) that the Olympus Evolt... The Evolt wins narrowly in the height dept but otherwise everything about the XT is a bit smaller! And of course it works with all the lenses you already own!
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

I totally agree

I've been carrying pro camera bodies all over the place, but I think that the Rebel XT may be my next camera. I'm a little concerned over the amount of Err99 and other defects, but this camera is so light.

I did a weight comparison between my current camera body (1Ds and 16-35mm) lens, and I would save over two pounds.!!!! That's a 100% savings in weight for a quality camera.

It would be great to have a carry around camera without needing a visit to the masseuse at the end of the day. I've played around with it and I do like. I'm still considering a 20D as my backup camera, but now I have to think about the Rebel XT.

Loren
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

Liz

Re: I totally agree

I'm a little concerned over the amount of Err99 and other defects, but this camera is so light

Hi Loren - just a comment about the XT

I've had this camera for months. With one 35mm lens I got the err99 message a lot so I exchanged it. When I first put the new lens on the camera it gave me one err99 only and then worked fine. I've used it a lot since then and never got another err99. I've used it with my other 3 lenses - no err99 ever.

The 10D and 20D also have some err99 problems. However, just my opinion, but I think we see more about the err99 with the XT's because they are the biggest selling DSLR's on the market, and there are so many of them out there.

I got it due to my back problems, and with my 35mm/f2.0 it feels like a toy.

Liz

There always has to be one.

When I was shopping I had the chance to get my hands on both and absolutley did not like the way the grip of the XT felt in my hand and it's not like I have huge hands. The more comfortable grip on the 20D made it worth the extra weight.
    We improve ourselves by victories over ourself. There must be contests, and you must win.
    Edward Gibbon

Canon T2i
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di
    Canon 24-105 f/4L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/4L USM
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Canon Speedlight 220EX

Thread Information