Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Flash problems with 20d

I am a very casual photographer and recently purchased the 20D. When I use my old mounted flash I have gotten many way overexposed shots even outside from a distance of 15-20 ft where the subjects' faces were practically white. Do I need a new flash that is dedicated to the 20d(i.e 580ex)? Thanks.

Ghost

Re: Flash problems with 20d

It sounds like your old flash is firing at full power. What's your old flash?

Re: Flash problems with 20d

I've just bought a 20D and am trying to come up to speed myself on flash, having not used it before.

One thing I've already found out is that the digital SLR's need a flash unit compatible with E-TTL or E-TTL II metering. This is because TTL and A-TTL (one of which is probably used by your older flash unit) requires an in-camera sensor which measures the amount of light flashed back of the surface of the film. This is not relevent for Canon DSLR's so they do not have a sensor built in and cannot work with TTL or A-TTL.

My guess would be that your old flash does not support E-TTL or E-TTL II and there is this no auto metering happening. The flash is probably TTL or A-TTL copatible, but the camera is not! In which case you need one of the Canon units which the suffix EX as they support E-TTL.

Wish I'd known this before buying a 540EZ as a backup flash unit - it will have to stay on my EOS 50E because if my 580EX fails in action then the 540EZ will be no use on the 20D!

Thread Information