Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

flash or new lens?

Okay so I'm still fairly new to SLRs/DSLRs. I have a Canon XTi w/ the kit 18-55 lens and a 50mm f1.8. I have about $300 I could put towards either a new lens or a flash (probably the 430exII). If I got a new lens I think I would likely go w/ the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

In a few months I'll be a proud new father and I'm sure I'll want to take loads of indoor photos at first. I typically dislike using a flash indoors, but again I'm a newbie and only have the little pop-up one on my camera now. Having a flash that would rotate and angle to be able to bounce off walls/ceilings/etc... interests me.

If I got a new lens I would want it to be fairly fast, the little 50mm f1.8 really has me spoiled with it's low light ability, so that is why I'm primarily considering the tamron. I could get a Canon 28-135 IS used for about the same price, and I borrowed it from a friend to play w/ for a day and I was all that impressed. Yes the IS did help for longer shutter speeds in low light, but really I think for my purposes, faster glass would be more beneficial.

Any thoughts from anyone on this? It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil.

May the force be with you Canuck935's Avatar

Re: flash or new lens?

Hi Phil,

It's your call. The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is a fantastic lens. The flash will allow for more creative lighting. I guess I didn't help much.. Well, if I must pick one, I personally like the lens.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Becasue you want baby shots, I'd go flash.
    The 2.8 or 1.8 are great but still not enough in many conditions.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Myself I would get a good flash, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree you should get the flash, you will see a great improvement over your pop up.

Thread Information