Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Best DSLR for <$1000?

I currently have a Canon SD800 point and shoot. Great little camera, and I have learned it fairly well, but am wanting to step up to something more versatile

What would you recommend for my price range? (that includes extra lenses that may be a necessity etc etc)

oh if it matters, the types of pics I take vary widely...mountain biking, nature, landscapes, family, abstract, random stuff

thanks!

Re: Best DSLR for <$1000?

Josh-
    "Best" is always tough. Because it's somewhat subjective. For someone stepping up to their first digtial SLR, I've been recommending Pentax, Olympus, and Sony because they have built-in image stabilization systems. Image stabilization makes a noticeable difference in the number of usable photos you can get, as well as broadens the conditions you can shoot in.

Out of the entry-level Pentax, Sony, and Olympus DSLR bodies, I think Pentax has the best build, Sony has the best image quality, and Olympus is the most compact and has the best color. I am very partial to the Olympus E-510 because it's so tiny and the lenses have more reach than other DSLRs. That makes a great camera for taking in a backpack when your mountain biking, skiing, hiking, etc. The E-510 ia also one of the best deals right now. There's a two-lens kit that sells for under $700, if I remember right.

Hope that helps. Tell us if you have more questions. One more thing to remember is that any DSLR you buy is going to be a huge leap in performance and image quality. So it almost doesn't matter what you buy. It's budget and long-term strategy that are most important. So look ahead and consider what fits your budget. But any camera you buy is going to be great. I really believe they're all good now.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I just finsihed going through the same thing. After 3 weeks of internet searching, posting, reading industry reviews, customer reviews, and camera specs, I came to the following conclusion:

The best "bang for your buck" as it were, is the Pentax K100D Super. It is on sale now because it is being replaced by a new model at the end of the month. Almost every review I read was just raving about the camera. Its got good build, features that most other cameras in its price range do not have, and geat compatibility for lenses, if you are just starting out. Picture quality is reported to be great (of course diehards of other brands will claim their's is the best.) The cam has anti-shake, dust reduction mechanism, bulb mode, comes with free editing software, and is compatible with any lense made by Pentax

Basically, while this camera may not be the abolsute "best" with regard to any one feature, all of its features are very good, and it is the only camera that combines those features in an affordable package.

Mine is arriving today!

I'm currently looking for the same thing. I just stopped by a local Ritz to see the k100d and the e510 just to see how they felt and such. I'm completely new to photography and before I went, based on reading online solely, I had my mind pretty set on one but now that I've held both of them I'm favoring the other one. It is definitely in your best interest to just stop by the store and look. You can probably take a card with you if you have one and save some pictures with each.

See this thread for the flip side of the above opinions:
    New to D-SLR's Have a question......

I commented extensively there, but I will say Image Stabilization would be a very nice feature, but for *most* of my shooting I haven't needed it. It definitely does give you a higher rate of usable images though.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

BEST????

Oh boy. Any time I see a box that has a 10 foot high flashing neon sign saying PANDORA I try to leave it alone.Try that is.

Canon or Nikon. Once you start down the road of DSLR photography there are only 2 things that can happen, and neither is actually good.

1 - You get tired of lugging even that little Oly around and trying to determine which non-green-box mode to use and buying acessories and just e-bay the whole mess.

2 - You learn just how much fun and how much a challenge photography can be. What an incredible hobby, going far beyond kids, family and pets. That's what the P&Srs are about. Then you start to realize just how much trouble your wallet is in.

But if you start with Canon or Nikon (I have Canon so I'm biased but Nikon is every bit as good) you will find incredible systems with upgrade paths that only the big 2 offer. And Canikon have lens and other accessory selections only matched by the litle 3 combined.

Yeah the Olys are very small, maybe too small for some, and they have IS in body. My Rebel XT does not have IS and I don't miss it. It just challenges me to find a better way to get the shot I want. But then I started using Box Brownies, Petri and then Leica RF 35s and Rollie TLRs over 50 years ago so I'm used to finding a way to hold long exposures.

All of the big manufacturers are making great cameras today. All will take great pictures if the eye in the VF is capable.

So go to Ritz or some other store and pick some up. See what feels good in your hands. Read some more reviews. Take every bit of internet advice for exactly what you paid, and go buy yourself a camera.

Then do not EVER worry about you got the wrong one. Whichever on you get WILL BE the right one. Take pictures, learn, enjoy and come back and show some of your work.

YMMV
    The world is full of people who can hear a loud bang, feel a sharp pain in their foot, notice smoke trickling from their holster........ And never put it all together.

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR; Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Compact; Canon Photura 35 mm P&S (Definitely not compact. Probably the best 35 P&S ever)

Thread Information