Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Strange Lens Issue - Need Help

I bought my Canon EOS 20D with teh 18-55 kit lens. I have had strange lens issues with my Canon lenses since I started going digital. My 10D couldn't get a sharp picture with any lens other than my Sigma 180 Macro. I couldn't even get a sharp image with my 80-200 2.8L. So I dumped the 10D and got the 20D.

Now, I can't get a sharp photo from my 28-10. I suspect that is Canon's fault since I sent it to them with my 10D and they say they adjusted it to get "best possible result with customer's camera". I may send it back for factory spec adjustment. However, all my other lenses are razor sharp. However, with the kit lens, if I move beyond about 8-10 feet, the lens is soft. It doesn't matter the focal length. I don't have this issue with any other lens. All other lenses are sharp at all distances.

Any suggestions? I am contemplating sending this and the kit lens and the 28-105 back to Canon.

Ghost

Re: Strange Lens Issue - Need Help

I'm having a hard time understanding the problem. Is autofocus involved? I'd just send the camera and lenses back to Canon for adjustment with a good explanation of your problems. Unless you're worried about shipping costs or time without your camera better to do it now and get it over with.

I've read about problems such as this on some review sites. I think it may be what's referred to as "backfocus" or "frontfocus" or some such thing.
    Basically the lens is focusing just in front of or just behind the point where you have locked focus thus giving you a blurry shot. It can be fixed by the manufacturer with some sort of adjustment.
    Try doing a search on the issue and maybe you can suss the problem out for yourself before sending it in.
    Jon

"shoot wide, shoot close"

Been there, done that as far as checking the reviews and such. The 10D had a serious backfocus issue and was NOT fixed by Canon NJ. However, the lenses worked just find with my friend's camera. So I knew it was the camera. Now with the 20D, all lenses I have, except the 28-105 are sharp overall, so I don't want to send the 20D in...I'm afraid they will screw it up and cause a back/front focus issue. I may just send the lens by itself for calibration.

As far as the kit lens goes, it's hard to describe. Basically as long as I am within 8-10 feet of the subject, the lens is sharp. If I back up beyond that, the lens is soft (more a front focus). This only happens with the 18-55 lens. Yes AF was used. And yes, before attacking the technique (as other sites have) tripod, good contrast subject, good light, etc., etc.

Any other ideas? I personally think it is just a lens thing that needs adjustment.

Thread Information