Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Likes to play in cemeteries GraveyardMistress's Avatar

Question First DLSR questions

I am shopping for my first DSLR... I read the "what's the best?" FAQ, but I'm still not sure. I just recently bought my first film SLR (Canon T2), and I love it I'm still learning on it, and I still do have a lot to learn... I was going to wait until I had more experience with it before I went digital, but now I almost thinking that a DSLR would be better to learn on - no developing costs! I am so used to using my digital point and shoot that going back to film takes a little getting used to, and I'm going through a LOT of film.

That leads me to a couple of questions - what is a good DLSR to start out with? I have been eyeing the Rebel XT right now. I keep reading that it is more about lenses than the actual camera, but I can't afford to get a lot of lenses right off, so what would be a good lense to start with? And as far as megapixels, from what I've heard more isn't always better. Opinions?

Also, and this might be a silly question, but are the lenses interchangable between the film and digital SLRs, provided they are the same brand? That is what is keeping me looking at Canon right now, because I hear the Nikons are nice as well.

Sorry for all the questions - I know these same questions are probably posted a lot. And thanks for the help!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: First DLSR questions

I NEVER recommend a certain camera.
    I also don't know what kind of budget you are on. I saved money here and there for almost a year to buy my D80.
    Yes, the lens is more important than the camera, but the camera is where all the settings and gizmos that make the lens work well are.
    Megapixels aren't as important as the quality of the sensor but get important as you begin blowing your pics up or do severe cropping.
    Most lenses are interchangable between film and digital cameras. I understand that the new Nikon D40 won't work on AF with some older lenses.
    Remember the sensor size makes lenses longer than on the 35mm film camera. Generally Nikon gets an x factor of 1.5 and Canon gets an x factor of 1.6 until you get into higher end cameras that have full size sensors.
    This means a 100mm lens would equal a 150mm lens on a Nikon and a 160mm on a Canon.
    Research, research, research, and then look up some stuff. Become familiar with terminology. Look up side by side comparisons of cameras you are thinking of.
    Remember, too, that you are buying into a system. If you buy a Nikon, you will be buying Nikon compatible lenses and if you buy Canon you'll be buying theirs.

Hope this helps.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Iron Horse

excellent advice from Frog, and I'll also confirm your feeling that DSLR is a LOT easier to learn than film SLRs. I learned more within 2 weeks of using my XTi than I did for several years of using my old Minolta X700. the ability to take pics on a bunch of different settings and see which does what is amazing. also, there's a feature that saves all of your shooting information on each picture file so you can easily see what settings you used. much, MUCH easier than taking pics, trying to remember what you did (or writing everything down), developing film, going back and realizing that you just spent $10 on film and processing to see that you had one of your settings completely wrong.

Canon XTi
    Tamron 17-50mm
    Nifty Fifty 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardMistress
    I am shopping for my first DSLR... I read the "what's the best?" FAQ, but I'm still not sure. I just recently bought my first film SLR (Canon T2), and I love it I'm still learning on it, and I still do have a lot to learn... I was going to wait until I had more experience with it before I went digital, but now I almost thinking that a DSLR would be better to learn on - no developing costs! I am so used to using my digital point and shoot that going back to film takes a little getting used to, and I'm going through a LOT of film.

That leads me to a couple of questions - what is a good DLSR to start out with? I have been eyeing the Rebel XT right now. I keep reading that it is more about lenses than the actual camera, but I can't afford to get a lot of lenses right off, so what would be a good lense to start with? And as far as megapixels, from what I've heard more isn't always better. Opinions?

Also, and this might be a silly question, but are the lenses interchangeable between the film and digital SLRs, provided they are the same brand? That is what is keeping me looking at Canon right now, because I hear the Nikons are nice as well.

Sorry for all the questions - I know these same questions are probably posted a lot. And thanks for the help!
    Just remember if you buy a DSLR and leave it on the auto setting all you will have is a very expensive point and shoot! You must read the manual and try different settings to accomplish you goals, Jeff
    Check out my website Here
    My Nikon D7000 Tips thread is HERE

All images posted by me anywhere are Copyrighted by Federal Law and may not be copied or used in ANY FORM without my personal written permission. Jeff Impey
    "I decided years ago I was only going to have two types of days... Very Good Days or just Plain Good Days I just refuse to have Bad Ones!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Liz

The Canon XT is a wonderful camera. I think you will be very happy with it. You should be able to get it at a good price. I also think you're right - you will save a lot of money once you get the equipment. I learned a lot faster with digital as seeing the image you can change the setting and shoot another one, delete it or edit it later. I think the camera pays for itself very quickly.

I would suggest getting the Canon 50mm/f1.8 as it's one of Canon's best less expensive lenses at $79. It is sharp, good in low light and is quite capable of giving you good results. Check out the 50mm threads on Viewfinder....

The "NEW" 50mm f/1.8 Lens War Thread!

Please post any more questions you might have - and let us know what you decide.

Liz

if you have lens right now take them with and test in the shop. you will spend more on lens than camera.
    one of my best lens is over 20 years old (i use nikon) so shop around
    i like to see the second hand market (why are there so many type "x" for sale is there something wrong etc.

Thread Information