Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Question Fastest CF card for D30?

I've done some searches and seen some threads showing that the newer CF cards with WA, Extreme, 80x, or whatever you want to call it are indeed faster, however I've also come across threads that mention it won't make a difference unless your camera can handle the newer, faster cards.

My question is what's the fastest CF card that the D30 can take?
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

Did you get one?

Bruce-
    Did you get the camera already? If so, congratulations. You're gonna be psyched.

I don't have a complete answer to your question. But I can tell you that the WA technology won't make a difference. Those cards are fast anyway, but the WA component is technology that has to be built into the camera to take full advantage of the card. Even some new digital SLRs can't take a advantage of it. And since the D30 precedes the introduction of the WA cards, it definitely won't get the full speed advantage.

As far as high speed cards go, any high speed card without proprietary technology should work well. There may be a limit due to the transfer rates the D30 is capable of. I'm not sure if that's the case. If so, it would be good to find out what that limit is and buy your card accordingly. I can't remember if there were any high speed CompactFlash cards when that camera was available. I don't think there were, but I'm not absolutely sure.

You might also want to check the D30 reviews and e-mail some reviewers.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Bruce-
    Did you get the camera already? If so, congratulations. You're gonna be psyched.
    I am psyched. Can't wait. Now I just have to find a lens...

I'll go home tonight and see what the manual says on the CF cards. Luckily prices for them are pretty good so even if I get one that's a bit overkill for the D30 at least it won't break the bank (unlike the lens will)

Btw, I ended up winning 2 D30 auctions. Got the first one yesterday, should get the other one today. I guess I'll see which one's in better condition and sell the other.

Now I'm just struggling with the lens. I've narrowed it down to the Canon 24-85 or the 28-135 IS. Both have excellent reviews as a "consumer" lens. I figure it's got to be at least be better than my old Olympus, so no reason to spend too much on one. I really want a little bit wider lens, but the only other Canon options are pretty expensive. I've considere the Sigma 12-24, but even that lens is pushing it on what I'm willing to spend.

Anyway thanks for the info.
    60Hz Productions
    Great pictures are taken with the mind...the problem lies in getting the dang camera to take the same picture!

Digital Rebel Kit Lens?

What about the Digital Rebel kit lens? Is that available for general purchase? I would think that would be the best bet - at least as far as focal length goes.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

As far as I have read the Rebel Kit lens is only available with the purchase of the Digital Rebel camera. Even those that bought just the camera originally and now want the lens can't buy one.

Liz

Kit lenses ....available used

I sold my kit lens to B&H. They had quoted me a fair price, but I waited 3 weeks to take it to them. By then they told me that they had a lot in stock from other people selling theirs, and they wouldn't give me the original price (they were in their right - they guarantee a price for 7-14 days (forgot how many). So I'm sure you can get them used if you check around.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    As far as I have read the Rebel Kit lens is only available with the purchase of the Digital Rebel camera. Even those that bought just the camera originally and now want the lens can't buy one.

Are you all talking about the EF-S 18-55? I thought you COULDN'T use it with other EF mount cameras?

From Canon's website:
    A standard zoom exclusively for the EOS Digital Rebel SLR camera with APS-C size image circle equivalent to an approx. 28-90mm focal length. Compact and ultra-lightweight with impressive close-focusing ability of 0.9 ft (0.28m). Features optimized coating for digital imaging sensor to minimize ghost images and flare. The lens can only be mounted on the Digital Rebel with shorter back focus than ordinary EF lenses.

I've seen TONS of those on eBay and like you said, Liz, on B&H. But I've read the reviews on this site and they don't seem to be that great. Would it be on par with a 24-85 or 28-135 from Canon?
    60Hz Productions

Thread Information