Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Re: DSLR price drops... how often

Since the D70s is a new model, I wouldn't expect to see a price drop for awhile. You might still find a new D70, which is the predecessor to the D70s, around at a bargain price. There's a firmware upgrade that you can do that will give it most of the advantages of a D70s.

Usually price drops happen before a new model comes out, to clear out the old inventory. Sometimes they happen because a new competitive camera comes out but the Canon Rebel XT just came out too. Might be awhile...

DSLR price drops... how often

Hi all,

I am new to photography and I am thinking of buying myself a digital SLR.

Anyone here knows how often the DSLR price drops? The camera I am interested in is the Nikon D70s. It was introduced only a few months ago so the price is still very high.I really like to get it as soon as possible, but is there a chance for a price drop during the holiday seasons?

Ranter and raver.

I agree with another view. You usually see two or three price drops:

The cycle is generally like this: The new camera comes out and whoever has it in stock sells it at or very close to the list price. A couple of months later there is a drop of about 25%. The camera stays at that price for a long time, though there is occationally a nice rebate offered during that time if another company comes out with a camera that is perceived to be a better value (same price for more features, same features for less money, ect.). Then there is a store level price drop (clearance) and/or a manufacture's rebate when the camera is about to be discontinued.

Cnet's
    price drop page is a good one to keep an eye on, though there are so many digital cameras (as well as the other equipment they track) that watching for a specific camera can get tiring and it may be better to just check the online stores every couple of months.

Just guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Galam
    Hi all,

I am new to photography and I am thinking of buying myself a digital SLR.

Anyone here knows how often the DSLR price drops? The camera I am interested in is the Nikon D70s. It was introduced only a few months ago so the price is still very high.I really like to get it as soon as possible, but is there a chance for a price drop during the holiday seasons?
    Nikon is supposed to be announcing the D200 (or whatever) within the next two months, which means we might see it in the shops before Christmas. This model will probably mean the end of the D70s because with the D50 at 800$, the D200 at 1600$ and the D2X at 4500$ you don't really need a model at 1100$.

Of course people have been saying that the D200 is about to be announced for the last 12 months so it might actually take longer than that. When you feel the price is right for you then go for it and use it.

Charles

Thanks all!

It seems that there won't be any price drop in the near future. I will just go and get the camera so I can have some time to learn some photography techniques before my friend's wedding in September.

Ranter and raver.

Quote Originally Posted by Galam
    Thanks all!

It seems that there won't be any price drop in the near future. I will just go and get the camera so I can have some time to learn some photography techniques before my friend's wedding in September.
    Sounds like a plan. I bought a DSLR the minute it came out, knowing very well that the price would drop. BUT the 7300+ pictures I've taken with it are worth more to me than the $300 that I would've saved if I waited until today (7 months later) to buy it.

Thread Information