Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Which digital SLR

I'm looking at upgrading from a P&S digital camera to an SLR digital. The two cameras I'm looking at are the canon digital rebel and the nikon d70. I really like my nikon coolpix 4300, but it doesn't take action shots very well. I go to alot of motorized sporting events, and the 4300 photos are usually very blurry. This is the main reason I'm looking at the SLR's. The canon is $900 and the nikon is $1300. I know the nikon is the better camera, but is it worth the $400 price difference?

Budding Beginner
    How do you know the Nikon is a better camera?

The nikon has a faster shutter speed, flash sync, powers up faster and has a better buffer.

The Nikon is 1000 without the lens, and yes, it is the better of the two.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

The d70 kit lens is better than the drebel kit lens too, isn't it?

By kit lense, do you mean the lense that comes with the camera, or do is there a special kit you can buy with the camera?

Yeah, you can buy them both body only or in a kit, with an included lens. I may be wrong, but I tried to find that same lens that comes with the d70 and see what it retails for and I think I found it, and it was listed for $400.. The body was $1000, kit was $1300, so I seemed to me that you got the body and a $400 lens for $300. Sounds attractive. I personally want a D70, but I have to wait anyway for financial reasons so I might just hang out and see what new camera's are to be released for '05..

No one has answered my main question. Is the D70 worth the $400 price differance?

I have also been offered a D10 for $1000. Body only and used 4 times. I'm really torn on which to pick.

The D70 is only $100 more. Digital Rebel body only $899, D70 body only $999. Both are offered as a kit with a lens - the Canon for $100 more, the Nikon for $300 more. I hear (but have no personal experience with either) that the Nikon is better in both body and lens.

The faster shutter speed: In most shooting applications, you'll rarely use 1/2000 or above (my experience, anyway). It would take a bright sunny day and a wide aperture and/or high ISO to be able to use it. Keeping the ISO down to the lowest possible will keep the noise (digital grain) down, and your focusing has much less margin of error when shooting at wide apertures (plus it's a fast-moving subject). I've taken some shots I really like of cars at 1/30 by panning as they went by. At 1/2000, you'd make it look like it was parked.

Fast flash sync (as in up to 1/500) is really great, makes it much easier to use fill flash outdoors on a bright sunny day (when you need it). I've never had a problem with a camera powering up too slow. For me, once it's on, it stays on. If it goes into "standby" mode, hitting the shutter release halfway wakes it up immediately. You can even press the button as you're bringing it up to your face - it'll be on by the time you can see thru the viewfinder. Buffer size and write speed might be nice - especially if you plan on shooting RAW files.

As far as the 10D goes, I'm a Nikon shooter so I'll let someone take over here...

Circuit city has the rebel for $899 with lense.... http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...&oid=80662&m=0

The D70 is $1300 with lense

always a beginner
    Remember that the camera body isn't really that important. You're buying into a lens system, so maybe first check out the prices and options on Nikon's and Canon's lenses to see which better suits your needs.

Being a Kwanon shooter, yes I think the D70 is worth the difference for all the reasons already mentioned. However, I think looking at these two cameras and nothing else is short-sighted. Against each other, the Nikon has a clear advantage, but there are simply so many factors involved in picking a system that the comparison becomes less meaningful.

Decide on what you want to take photos of, look into what pieces of equipment you would need to achieve the desired tasks, and see how well each system meets those needs.

Good luck in your search.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I think looking at these two cameras and nothing else is short-sighted.
    I kinda agree here. However, both companies continue to come out with new products that make you wonder if maybe you should switch. It's hard, and almost pointless, to look at a snapshot of the lenses, flash systems and accessories that are available and predict what will be available even a few years from now. Both companies have a long history of supplying top pros, and I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Here's my scenario: As a Nikon shooter, I look at the new Canon 1D Mark II and it's got about everything I want in a DSLR. I don't think I need more than 8mp of resolution - I've got nice large prints from my 6mp Fuji S2. Problem is, the Fuji isn't the greatest with moving subjects and shoe-mounted flash isn't as perfect as 35mm Nikon TTL used to be. I looked at the Nikon D2H which is only 4mp but prints of equal quality. It's great with autofocus and much improved with flash (of course have to buy new flashes too). The high iso noise isn't any better (maybe worse although I haven't done a side-by-side comparison) than what I'm shooting now - although the Fuji is great here at 800. So, I'll wait to see what the Nikon D2X brings.

I'm not ready to buy one of these now anyway, probably next year. If the D2X is a dud, then maybe I'll re-consider Canon - I thought about buying a 10D when I bought my DSLR a year ago, then building a system separate from my 35mm stuff. Hard to tell what the future will hold - both in terms of what manufacturers offer, and what your needs will be as a shooter.

A vote for 10D...other considerations

Quote Originally Posted by frofan
    No one has answered my main question. Is the D70 worth the $400 price differance?

I have also been offered a D10 for $1000. Body only and used 4 times. I'm really torn on which to pick.
    I've used all three, and decided that the 10D was for me. But, I would buy it new with a USA warranty...what if a pixel goes bad? It happens...and the repair would be abysmally expensive and time consuming for you. The 10D is a wonderful camera--in terms of performance, I must admit the D70 matches it. The 300D is way behind...mainly, I found that the buffer filled up fast enough that I was left waiting--and feeling like I was using my old Olympus E10 (a point and shoot). Feel is important to me; the Rebel feels like it's worth $400 less than the D70, and the Canon 10D feels like its worth a few hundred more. Look at the lenses, too: Canon and Nikon both offer a lot, but if you're interested in high quality consumer zooms, the kit lens with the D70 is hard to beat. Canon has two great "L" pro lenses, the 17-40mm f/4 (a 28-70 35mm equivelant) and the 70-200mm f/4 L (112-320mm equivelent). These are around $650 and $550 street each, respectively. My point is, the cheapest Nikon pro lenses are hundreds of dollars more. So, if you're like me, and you want to eventually step up in the world, Canon's offerings may be better. Also, Nikon's "old" (like, six months old) "DX" flashes don't do "i-ttl" with the D70...and their SB600 flash has not been released. Also, no grip is available. Also, I couldn't BUY a D70 when I wanted to--everywhere had a wait list! I'm only getting into all this to state that there are a lot of other factors that sold me on the Canon system...even though I was a devout nikon manual FM shooter and love Nikon lenses.
    Either Nikon or Canon has a strong future system-wise. Any one of your choices offers great image quality (so long as you're not into 'fill flash'--the Rebel/300D is just not very capable in that area, due to no flash compensation on the body and the slower sync speed.) Just don't get the cheapest body on the market--never a good idea.

Thread Information