Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Flash for D70

Flash for D70

I am almost certain to buy a Nikon D70 this fall, and will probably get the kit lens with it, based on advice here and elsewhere, mostly because I don't have anything wide angle in my existing setup and won't be able to afford anything really good any time soon.

So that leaves me wondering about flashes. I have three already (Sb80DX, an older Sigma and the Sunpak PZ5000AF) but based on what I have read here it doesn't sound too promising for them to work well with the D70. So that leaves two choices, the SB600 or the 800. I had assumed I should just buy the 800 but Ken Rockwell's web site says the 600 is more frugal on batteries and recycles faster for little loss in performance.*Any suggestions?

And any other suggestions for an all-around lens that would be a better choice than the kit lens?

Thanks!

Jennie

Sigma just announced

Quote Originally Posted by jokola
    I am almost certain to buy a Nikon D70 this fall, and will probably get the kit lens with it, based on advice here and elsewhere, mostly because I don't have anything wide angle in my existing setup and won't be able to afford anything really good any time soon.

So that leaves me wondering about flashes. I have three already (Sb80DX, an older Sigma and the Sunpak PZ5000AF) but based on what I have read here it doesn't sound too promising for them to work well with the D70. So that leaves two choices, the SB600 or the 800. I had assumed I should just buy the 800 but Ken Rockwell's web site says the 600 is more frugal on batteries and recycles faster for little loss in performance.*Any suggestions?

And any other suggestions for an all-around lens that would be a better choice than the kit lens?

Thanks!

Jennie
    Sigma just announced two new flashes that are i-TTL compatible. They also have a number of special-for digital lenses in focal lengths than Nikon doesn't have. Tamron have also started to release lenses specially for digital.

Personally I'm going to go with the Nikon kit lens. It looks like a bargain.

Charles

Sigma lenses for D70?

I checked out the Sigma web site after reading your post and you were right, they do have a couple flashes and lenses listed that will work on the D70. But it looks like the Nikon flash specs might be a bit better, so I am leaning back to the SB600...

The two Sigma lenses of interest were:

18-50mm F2.8 EX DC
    18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC

Has anyone used either one? Thoughts? The 18-125 is certainly inexpensive but how well does it work?

Thanks!

Jennie

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Sigma just announced two new flashes that are i-TTL compatible. They also have a number of special-for digital lenses in focal lengths than Nikon doesn't have. Tamron have also started to release lenses specially for digital.

Personally I'm going to go with the Nikon kit lens. It looks like a bargain.

Charles

Get the "kit" lens

Yes it is a "kit" lens, but only in the sense that it comes with the camera. This is not an ordinary "kit" lens, because the quality is very high. The autofocus is silent and lightning fast, and the lens is relatively small and light. I have no complaints at all about picture quality, and the range, which translates to a 27-105mm is very nice. Read the reviews here and see what I mean. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything even close in quality for $300 (which is what the lens, as part of the kit, essentially costs).

later,
    Bob

Compared the SB600 with the SB800

Quote Originally Posted by jokola
    I checked out the Sigma web site after reading your post and you were right, they do have a couple flashes and lenses listed that will work on the D70. But it looks like the Nikon flash specs might be a bit better, so I am leaning back to the SB600...

The two Sigma lenses of interest were:

18-50mm F2.8 EX DC
    18-125mm F3.5-5.6 DC

Has anyone used either one? Thoughts? The 18-125 is certainly inexpensive but how well does it work?

Thanks!

Jennie
    I compared the SB600 with the SB800 at Apple Expo today. I prefer the SB800 :

- there is a Stofen-type diffuser included in the kit
    - there are also two colour correction filters included in the kit (flourescent and tungsten) and the flash has a little ridge for them to clip onto (which the SB600 doesn't)
    - the guy on the stand said that the SB800 is easier to understand because you have a touchpad rather than having to press two buttons at once.

One thing I don't understand - you put the SB800 on the D70 and zoom the lens to 35mm and the flash says "35mm". Shouldn't it be saying "50mm" i.e. doesn't it know about the APS-sized sensor and its narrower-than-normal viewpoint?

Charles

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased the SB800 for use with my D70. I certainly cannot profess to be proficient with it's use yet but am spending a lot of time reading about it and practising. It has revolutionised my flower photography with the bounce and fill, I am on a very steep learning curve when it comes to outdoor photography and those harsh shadows - need lots more practice.

I haven't used any other flash you speak of and in actual fact this is really the only flash I have used past the built in flash on my camera.

I am happy to answer any specific questions you have if I can.

Fran

Thread Information