Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: D70 Lenses

D70 Lenses

Good-day,

For those not already familiar with my situation, a complete description is in my previous post in this forum under the title "Macro->Nikon, Canon, Pentax->Bodies, Lenses". Suffice it to say, my subjects are ~2mmx2mm in size, I cannot get closer than 0.6 m (2 feet) to them, and I am in a lab setting, so I can control most factors that would affect pictures (e.g., lighting, etc.) and do not necessarily require compact, lightweight lenses for travelling with (as the lenses will remain in the lab). In addition to this set-up, the camera will be used for general photography around the lab (e.g., people, bench-top experiments, experimental apparatus, etc.). As I am in research, cost is also important in my decision (though I can "afford" all of the lenses below, I want to spend only as much as I truly require (I'm sure that has only been said a couple thousand times... ), though quality is still my foremost concern).

I have decided on a D70 body, but am having some difficulty with deciding on which lens system to purchase I am currently looking at the following combinations, which I believe would satisfy my requirements:

Lens System | Price
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------
    AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED | (in D70 kit) CDN$450 (~US$345)
    with |
    AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 G | CDN$500 (~US$380)
    |
    TOTAL = CDN$950 (~US$725) |
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------
    AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED | (in D70 kit) CDN$450 (~US$345)
    with |
    AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8 D ED | CDN$1400 (~US$1070)
    |
    TOTAL = CDN$1850 (~US$1400) |
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------
    AF Zoom Nikkor 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED | CDN$500 (~US$380)
    |
    TOTAL = CDN$500 (~US$380) |

I am interested in anyone's thoughts on these systems (e.g., price, functionality, quality, distortions, etc., etc.).

Though I am planning on trying out the lenses and it may be necessary to return one if it does not meet my criteria, all the above lenses would have to be special ordered by my local dealer (they are not in stock), and, as such, I do not wish to cause them any unnecessary hassles, as well as not wanting to wait a week in order to get my lenses.

Thank you for your time and any thoughts.

Auf wiedersehen,

James
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out alive"
    - Bugs Bunny

Check this out for a macro resource for nikon users: http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...o/macro_1.html

I think you may be barking up the wrong tree with the zooms you are considering. Also you do not mention the image quality you require - for example, the pro zoom you list (80-200) is going to be a different kettle of fish in terms of sharpness/contrast etc. to the other lenses.

Consider a long focal length macro lens - this will allow you to work far enough from the subject, preserve image quality and capture this small subject matter - the 105mm f/2.8 micro Nikkor for example, or even the 70-180mm f/4-5.6 zoom.
    Sport in Essex in Pictures
    <a href="http://www.tgsphoto.co.uk"><strong>www.tgsphoto.co.uk</strong></a>

Re: D70 Lenses

I recently purchased the Micro Nikkor 105mm AF F2.8 and it is extremely versatile and easy to use on the D70. I love it.
    Originally, I had the older manual focus version, which I still have and it is for sale right now. That lens, was the sharpest in my collection. A pleasure to use for macro work and outstanding for portraits, especially in the studio.
    Check out the 105 micro.
    William Kazak
    wkazak@ameritech.net

Thread Information