Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Canon "M" mode...

So I used "M" mode on my XTi to take pictures in a forest with a good amount of light coming in but...well its a forest...of some fast riders (mountain bikes, air borne). Anyways, I had the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens on since its faster then my tamron, and I set the shutter speed to 1/350 and ISO to 400 (probly shoulda been 800 after reviewing pics on my comp). Down to the point. Why is it "M" mode shoots at constant 2.8? I tried to up it to 1.8 by pressing the appature button on my camera, but it doesnt get to better apature, only worse...(numbers get higher). Is their anyway to set the Apature to 1.8 AND my shutter speed to 1/350 (if not higher) ?

Maybe a mode that I dont know well...? I only know "P", "M", and "A-Dep" well...

Thanks.
    New to photography/Amateur Photographer.

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX
    Slik 340DX A.M.T. w/ pan tilt head

Good day.

Re: Canon "M" mode...

Your lens has to be capable of f1.8 or it won't go there. If your lens is an f2.8 thats it, you can't force it to open farther than the lens is designed for. Most people shooting MTB and so forth in woods use an external flash because the built in flash is worthless for distance or moving objects. Go over to the sports forum and check out the MTB stuff there as well topics on flash.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Yeah my lens is capable of f/1.8 its the Canon 50mm F/1.8 II lens. It will shoot 1.8 in "P" but not "M" I dont know why...

And yeah I know I need a flash, but I dont have any money right now. All I had after buying the camera (body) was like $400 which I used on lenses. A 530EX or 480EX is on my list though...

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Beast
    Yeah my lens is capable of f/1.8 its the Canon 50mm F/1.8 II lens. It will shoot 1.8 in "P" but not "M" I dont know why...

And yeah I know I need a flash, but I dont have any money right now. All I had after buying the camera (body) was like $400 which I used on lenses. A 530EX or 480EX is on my list though...
    Ok, well I don't know why it won't go to f1.8 then, unless somehow the program in the body is keeping it from doing so. I don't know what the XTi is capable of.

As for a flash, you can use a cheaper flash such as the Sunpak 433D for Canon. You'd have to use it in Manual mode but trial and error will get you the right settings. I have one as a spare flash and paid $50 for it. That will at least get you something till you have the $$ to get a better flash.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

That's very interesting. Are you spinning the adjustment dial while you're pressing the aperture button? If you have a camera shop close to you, I would take it in and have someone look at it. It could be something in the camera body, or something in the lens. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the body and lens?

You could also try the Tv mode. This allows you to choose the shutterspeed you want, and the camera will choose the aperture for you. You also set the ISO speed in this mode.

Av mode is just the opposite. You set the aperture to give you the depth of field you want, and the camera choosed the shutterspeed.

You could also try the sports mode. This mode will select both the aperture and the shutterspeed (not sure about the ISO). It will selects something pretty wide open, with a fast shutterspeed to freeze the action.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Ok, well I don't know why it won't go to f1.8 then, unless somehow the program in the body is keeping it from doing so. I don't know what the XTi is capable of.

As for a flash, you can use a cheaper flash such as the Sunpak 433D for Canon. You'd have to use it in Manual mode but trial and error will get you the right settings. I have one as a spare flash and paid $50 for it. That will at least get you something till you have the $$ to get a better flash.

JS
    Thanks for the reply...I'll look into that flash as something to get me threw things for awhile I suppose.

as for the camera...hes my example. And yes, I'm moved the scroll around with the ap. button but it doesnt get any smaller. only higher from 2.8.

The Camera in M mode

Camera in AV mode.

I'm confused...it makes no sense for it to not wana shoot in 1.8 in M mode. I did buy this camera used (200 pictures and 2 months of use) off ebay...maybe thats important?

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX

Good day.

That's very interesting. I would take it to someone to look at it. Give Canon a call and see if they have heard of this before.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Yeah thats weird, it sounds like a program issue with the body, although you may want to try cleaning the lens contacts with a NEW #2 pencil eraser. Go lightly and use a bulb to blow it off (away from the body) afterwards. It could be an issue with the contacts but I doubt it.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Just curious... what happens when you're in M mode, and the camera says that you are at f/2.8, and you press the DOF preview button? Does the viewfinder get darker? You're lens should be wide open when you put it on the camera. If the lens is truely reading f/2.8, the VF will get darker when you press the DOF preview button.

I have a lens that reads faster than it actually is on two separate bodies. It says it's at f/5.6 @ 500mm, but the max at that focal length is f/6.3. When I adjust the camera to read f/6.3, and press the DOF preview button, it gets darker. So I don't know exactly where my aperture is set, but since I try not to shoot that lens below f/8, it doesn't bother me at all. I have never sent mine in to have it looked at because I have found ways to compensate for it, and I don't want to spend the $ on having it fixed right now.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    ...and press the DOF preview button, it gets darker.
    Maybe I'm an idiot....maybe its a good question, but I'll be honest...I have no idea what that means. "DOF preview" that is.

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX

Good day.

DOF means Depth Of Field.

There is a little button on the front of your camera, right below the button that you use to take your lens off. If you press this button, it will stop the lens down to the aperture you have selected. If you set your lens to anything other than the maximum aperture, and press this button while looking through the view finder, you will see it get darker. This is because you are closing the aperture. This is used to preview the depth of field of the scene you are shooting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Canon "M" mode...-untitled-1.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    DOF means Depth Of Field.

There is a little button on the front of your camera, right below the button that you use to take your lens off. If you press this button, it will stop the lens down to the aperture you have selected. If you set your lens to anything other than the maximum aperture, and press this button while looking through the view finder, you will see it get darker. This is because you are closing the aperture. This is used to preview the depth of field of the scene you are shooting.
    oh right...I just didnt know the name. Yes it does get darker when I adjust it. Is it supposed it?

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX

Good day.

Yes, it is suppose to get darker, unless the lens is wide open. If it's wide open there will be no change. What this tells me is that the the reading is correct when the camera says that it's at f/2.8. It doesn't explain why it won't go to f/1.8 while in M mode, but it should still give you proper exposure at f/2.8.

Again, I would take it to someone and have them look at it.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Just wondering from someone who doesn't know either.
    Does the lens have an aperture ring and is it set at widest aperture?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Nope, no aperture ring on this lens.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Well I sent off an email to cannon. Hopefully all will go well. We'll see soon I suppose...

Canon Rebel XTi
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon 70-200mm f/4 L USM
    Speedlite 430EX

Good day.

Thread Information